Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:09 PM   #1

This lens is so dope that I almost might not use my kit lens again.

At first I thought that the aperture ring was not working. I set it as Av and no matter what aperture I set it in it does not change the reading at the viewfinder and the dof is shallow.

Then I tried M, focus the lens, hit AE-L and it sets the exposure automatically. Another cool thing is that when you have the shutter release half way down while you are manually focusing it will beep and tell you you have it focused.

Really impressed with Pentax making their body backward compatible.

Any tips on making the DOF wider?

Image taken last night.
Attached Images

maj0rglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:12 PM   #2

It sounds like to figured out how to use non "A" manual focus lenses faster than I did, it was a couple of weeks before I figured out the lens stayed wide open in Av, no matter where I set the aperture ring.

As far as greater DOF, the only answer I know is to stop down to a smaller aperture. There is no Exif metadate in your shot, so I don't know what aperture you used, but a smaller one should give you greater DOF.

And yes, the 50mm 1.7 lenses (along with their 1.4 cousins) in all flavors are very popular here.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:23 PM   #3

The old lenses can be fun to use. I was lucky to get the A version of that lens dirt cheap at an antique store. If I thought there was any chance of getting it so cheap, I wouldn't have already bought a screw mount and M version of the 50mm.

I do wish there was a mode that made a K mount lens work like a screw mount lens. With a screw mount lens, when you set the aperture on the lens it just changes the aperture so you are looking through a darkened lens. That can be a problem in dimmer conditions, but you can use aperture priority and it will meter in real time. If they just made it so you could leave DOF preview on all the time, that would do the trick.

For extra DOF, Tim pointed out you need to use a smaller aperture (higher f-stop). You can also step back a bit and plan on cropping. Something to keep in mind is that the farther out you focus, the wider the DOF. So for instance, at the closest focus you might only be able to get less than an inch in focus. At 10 feet you might get a foot (it varies with the aperture). So, if you want to get a person in focus as well as the background, it helps to focus a bit behind them. You can also focus more in front of them if you want more background blur. That's something you can only do with manual focus, as far as I know.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:08 PM   #4

Is there a huge difference between an A and an M lens? A lens are expensive online around twice the price of an M lens. Is it worth it?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:59 PM   #5

maj0rglitch wrote:
Quote:
Is there a huge difference between an A and an M lens? A lens are expensive online around twice the price of an M lens. Is it worth it?
Not necessarilly if you are patient.... just picked up an A 1.7 50mm... unfortunately wasn't home to sign for today... but got it for $88 shipped.... but yes the 2.0 A before it was only about $25 (Again just waited for one no one seemed to be bidding on for one reason or another, I have seen many of BOTH go for rediculously much more))

Bigger glass is always bigger money. As far as A vs M for my personal uses it more the added time factor.... nice to have the camera taking care of at least one side of things, and be able to just easily EC/EV thinga with just a dial notch twist when needed, just concentrating on the focus.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:00 AM   #6

The A lenses have electronic contacts on them, so the camera can control the aperture setting. You put the aperture ring to "A" and then you can use Av (or P or Tv)and use the camera to change the aperture, just like a FA or DA lens. It's more convenient because you don't have to remember to use the AE-L button to meter, but that's about the main difference (both are manual focus). How much of a problem is it for you to remember to push the button? Is it worth spending extra money for the convenience? Some will say definitely, others will shrug their shoulders and feel that their budget is more important.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:09 AM   #7

maj0rglitch wrote:
Quote:
Then I tried M, focus the lens, hit AE-L and it sets the exposure automatically. Another cool thing is that when you have the shutter release half way down while you are manually focusing it will beep and tell you you have it focused.
Yeah but don't really believe it for two reasons

1 it is ceter point only....

2. really also more just you are in the ball park... than dead on (as it couldn't stop your focus twist precisely).... for optimum focus still takes a bit of tweaking usually, especially depending on DOF.

See.... http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:51 AM   #8

maj0rglitch wrote:
Quote:
Personally I probably never would have gotten the A lens if I hadn't found such a ridiculous deal. Now that I have it I'm quite happy, but it still feels like an unnecessary luxury to me.

As Hayward pointed out, it can be a time saver. I've mostly been using it for shooting in low light though, in which case I tend to shoot in M mode anyway and haven't gotten much benefit out of the automatic features.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:05 AM   #9

Well in many ways I do too but in the P mode that the first K10D firmware update (extra dial functions, making EV/EC part of it) enabled having Aperture priority (controling DOF if light permits) on one function dial and EC/EV on the other (Effectively controling shutter only as well since its an AV mode... determined by other dial being that). .... combined with an A lens, virtually the same functionality of M mode with much less fumbling/thinking... and again a big time saver , and not being a static MACRO/still life kind of fan much where time doesn't really matter.... seconds of time is often a factor..

Not to mention with an M lens you have to have enough light and good eyesight to see that aperture ring... other than keeping track of where you are/last were and counting clicks.

PS that new P mode can be reversed as well, with one dial being shutter (TV) and the EC/EV being aperture stop steps.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:24 AM   #10

Thanks guys for the info. I only use center focus even on auto, old habit on my slr.

Tonight I felt the pain of doing manual focus for candid shots in a restaurant. I think I will retract my first statement.

I also found out that if you set the ISO as auto it will only shoot at the lowest ISO and it will not adjust automatically. Bracketing also doesnt work (or I just cant tell the difference?).