Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1

As someone new to digital photography I would like to know what filters other than a protective UV filter, & a polarizer to buy for my lenses..In the "olden" days (22 yrs. ago) I had a fairly large collection of filters to affect B & W film in various ways..Do those same filters have the same effect on the captured image in a digital camera's card? Are they replaced partially, or wholely by the photo editing software now in use? I'll take any suggestions with a open mind..Virtually all of the people that I have met to date that are using digital cameras have absolutely no interest in B & W photography..When I bring up the subject they look at me like I'm crazy..I guess it's just too "OLD SCHOOL"..Not pretty enough, either!!..Me, I've always been more interested/ challenged by B & W than color..It started when a fellow soldier turned me on to the darkroom facilities at Ft. Lewis, Washington back in 1977..I mean how could you possibly NOT LIKE free B & W processing chemicals, & $2.50 a month to use the facilities..The only thing you had to bring was printing paper & your unprocessed filmor negatives..Any help on this topic by the members will be greatly appreciated...Many thanks.....Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:48 PM   #2

With digital there is no reason for colored filters....

With good software (like PS or even GIMP) you can treat the RGB channels individually in B&W and basically by just altering the balance between them, recreate anything you'd need a colored filter to do with film.

PS I have plenty of interest in B&W but there is no reason to shoot it that way because it can always be done post. And the K10D can't even shoot B&W though there is a needless (but too lazy to post do it) playback/rerecord B&W converter filter.

You can always convert color to B&W.... once stripped though you can never put color back.

Plus many cameras that wil shoot B&W do it with only one channel.... usually green, which makes it near impossible to shoot under pink/red (opposite) light, and giving you a fixed B&W contrast, that can't be changed much even in post.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:34 AM   #3

I use Lightroom and it natively supports the Raw format. Really easy to use and cheaper compared to Photoshop (been using PS for 6 yrs now).
maj0rglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:06 AM   #4

Hey!! Hayward & majOrglitch...Many thanks for the posts...The info was very helpful... Hoya makes atop-of-the-line circular polarizing filter & UV filter w/ the Pro 1 Digital label...Does anyone have any experience w/ these filters?...Are they substantially better/ more effective than the lesser priced filters?..I have always kept a UV or Haze filter permanently installed on all of my lenses over the years as protection from scratches...I understand from reading the posts that the optics/ sensors of a digital camera need a different grade of filter than a film camera...Since I will continue to occasionally shoot some film; is there any disadvantage to using a digital grade filter to shoot film?...Will the "better""more expensive" digital grade filters work just as well w/ film; or are there now two different standards...I apologize if these questions have already been answered before....Many Thanks....Bruce
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:38 PM   #5

Yeah Hoya makes good stuff.

Its not so much digital or Film as in manual or auto foucus.

To be safe you should us a circular polarizer with AF (though many will work fin with a linear.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 3:11 PM   #6

The only other couple of filters I feel a use for are neutral density ( example - to take waterfall shots with slower shutter speeds than the available lighting would allow) and a graduated ND filter, for sunsets or other times when the difference in light between the sky and the ground is large, and I want to capture both.

Digital sensors are more susceptible to flare than film, so the filters designed for them have special coatings. They would work well with film, it's just that you don't need the coatings as much with film.

I used to always use filters, but modern lenses seem to have stronger glass and don't get scratched as easily. I've just never gotten around to buying good UV filters for my lenses (and quit using a cheap one on a manual lens when I got weird reflections one night). If I were going to be taking pictures in the Mojave desert during a sand storm I'd sure have a UV filter on, but otherwise I rarely bother.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:14 PM   #7

Hey Hayward and mtngal...Thanks for the posts...The advice was helpfull...I just purchased a K10D today from my local brick & mortar store...I initially went in to comparison shop against the on-line vendors that I had been perusing...After comparing their prices against the on-line ones, I realized thatthe local stores prices were the same, or just slightly higher...Accordingly I went ahead & purchased the K10D, printing software, two high speed memory cards, UV filters for all my lenses, a 67mm circular polarizing filter, various size step-up rings to allow me to use the 67mm polarizer on all the smaller lenses, a filter wallet , a memory card reader, & an extended warranty for thecamera...While in the store I was fairly sure the the prices were not too much higher, which was why I decided to go ahead & purchase...Upon arriving home I calculated the costs & realizedthat even w/ MD sales tax I had only spent approx. 3-4% more than on-line....Maybe the same as a lot of the on-line stores I checked seemed to have pretty high "fixed" shipping costs...Anyway I have now started to establish a relationship (don't you just LOVE that word?) with the store...There aren't many "real" camera stores left in Balto., & 2-of-the-3 I called didn't even sell Pentax..The salesman who waited on me was a 13 yr. Canon man, but he had nothing but high praise for the K10D!! Spent absolutely NO time trying to talk me out of the Pentax...The first store I went into didn't sell Pentax (not enough market share was the stated reason) also had good things to say about Pentax.. Nice professional behavior from both stores..I'll definitelypatronize both places.. Have a great time shooting pictures, & THANKS AGAIN for the advice...Bruce

Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:37 PM   #8

Congratulations on your purchase. We will be looking forward to seeing some examples of the results!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:39 PM   #9

Congrats on the camera - it's a lovely camera but does have a fairly steep learning curve at times. But it can do SO much!

After having bought 3 cameras from B&H (highly recommended if you are going to mail-order), I decided to buy the K100 at my local camerastore (family owned business). I then went back to buy my K10 and spent a little more time with a couple of the salesmen. They now recognize me and are willing to answer my questions, give me some time. And I understand (but have never asked) that they will match B&H's price, so I have no regrets that I bought from them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote