Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:14 PM   #11

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Now that's a coincidence. I just used the same lens to shoot fireworks last week.
Really??? Just downloaded shot and looked at the EXIF.... so why f/ 2.8 1/8 sec.... when could have been f/1.7 @ 1/25th???? Likely firework not much different in shape, but rest would have been sharper.

I was experimenting with all different kinds of settings. If you look very close at the bottom right of the picture, you might see what appears to be a candle. This is actually a tiny flashlight running on a pair of AAs with the lens removed. That was the only source of light except for whatever ambient light the night sky provides, and whenever there was something exploding or emitting sparks. This made manual focusing difficult, and I was trying the smaller aperture to try to make sure I got something in focus.

That firework is actually quite tiny. It's a 2.5" wide plastic disk with a small, battery sized charge that emit's sparks and propels the disk. Not that I planned it this way, but if it wasn't for the longer exposure it wouldn't have looked like much, though perhaps it would have been just as funny to see it in midflight. If my friend hadn't flinched like a baby the photo would have been sharp enough.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:05 AM   #12

Well then again I found A lens "A"prority and camera just adjusting shutter.... varying from 1/6 sec to 1/500 (most around 1/100-150 } NONE were less than desireable burst widlth, and just dots when they needed to be anyways and just hanging there a few sec.....

Over all for new to me lens lens (withing hours and maybe 10 frames)... and rapid fire no thinking shooting (180 shots in 11 min or around 20 shots a min).... still floored me that K10D and SR got like 160 ot of 170 at least exposure good.... and neaer150 actually sharp/useable once on a big screen. (and some of those others still look real cool large thumbnail sized. (like 2x3" like they did on the LCD.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:32 PM   #13

IMO the f1.7 A lens is the best all round 50mm manual lens going - bang for buck. DOF @ 1.4 is wafer thin, the bokeh is undoubtably better, but do folks reallytake pics for bokeh alone?
ozbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 5:34 AM   #14

ozbrit wrote:
Quote:
IMO the f1.7 A lens is the best all round 50mm manual lens going - bang for buck. DOF @ 1.4 is wafer thin, the bokeh is undoubtably better, but do folks reallytake pics for bokeh alone?
I would have to agree with you, and TDN.....

SURPRISINGLY better than the old standard f/2 50mm A "kit" lens for being just 1/2 a stop difference.

And never having had a 1.4 or 1.2 but even at 1.7 the DOF gets pretty razor thin in many circumstances. Yet exposure wise AND SUBTLE DETAIL (like the smoke in the fireworks) a surprising difference for the just 1/2 stop difference between f/2 and 1.7

All be it never had the chance to to try the F/2 on the fireworks... just from other avail light situations I HAD used the f/2 on.... BIG diff, even at F/2.4 or 8 on the 1.7

But bang for the buck... An "A" f/2 50mm is a good lens and REAL bargain but glad I snagged the 1.7 off EBAY pretty cheap too ($20 bucks more... than $15 I got the f/2 for I think)... and still have the f/2 as a back up or danger lens. (K10D is pretty weather proof though old lenses aren't)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote