Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:16 AM   #1

Another not bad price Ebay snag/hook :-)... Pentax A 50mm 1.7

Sailfish Tournement decided to have fireworks for their finally night.

And it was virtually none stop plus the a really grand finally... actually wanted to do some lens changes but just no time....

And also a good/prime example of why a manual focus lens is a help not hinderace in certain situation (you can NOT shoot Fireworks AF)

What astounded me, being first oprotunity to shoot fireworks with the 10D is how FAST and ACCURATE the AE was.... virtually no bad shots, far better than my old Rebel 300D every was in several situations, I tried it same also in MF with AE mode, also some just manual AE as well.... none ever close to this... not even lucky random shots let alone 140 out of 150.

With the K10D maybe a half dozen out of 150 shots truly poor. Mostly due to anticipating too much and AE setting on a still dark sky. This was in P mode A priority, so AE just adjusting shutter.

And no this is not a PS's creation this is actually a k10d A-P mode ("A" lens MF) AE ONLY captured moment... its REALLY IS a firework.
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:18 AM   #2

Note the moon and Venus center and lower left.
Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:19 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:50 AM   #4

And once again the K10D in steady, experienced hands (not that I in any way claim to be the best... but capable), the 10D SR is quite effective... no?
Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:50 AM   #5

And mooned once again :-)

And PS....

the FAST prime lens is certainly a factor (Though many might still pooh pooh it because its not a 1.4 or obscenly expensive better be shhoting a absolutely flat surface/FP wide open 1.2) , but I never until tonight understood just how fast and dead on the 10D body systems AE is (much) as well.
Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2007, 2:47 AM   #6

Now that's a coincidence. I just used the same lens to shoot fireworks last week. The only difference was that instead of a gorgeous, professional display like what you captured, this was just a friend of mine out in the woods with some small stuff. Here's the only picture I really cared for:

Fireworks are very difficult to capture well. It's not that it's so difficult to capture them, it's just so difficult to make a compelling composition. Getting the timing right is at least as difficult as shooting sports.

All of your images came out very well. I particularly like the third one. It has a lot of kinetic energy, and the way the smoke is blurry but the explosion isn't gives it a nice 3D feel that makes it seem like the streamers are coming at you. It's quite unique.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 3:03 AM   #7

But what the heck are they doing standing that close to EXPLOSIVE (especially if anything goes wrong and even small ones can).....and assuming you are the more distant photographer and not the dummy :roll:

Why current pro shows are so impressive.... all computer sequenced and fired (no one lighting fuses) or even near the launch stand.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 4:06 AM   #8

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Fireworks are very difficult to capture well. It's not that it's so difficult to capture them, it's just so difficult to make a compelling composition. Getting the timing right is at least as difficult as shooting sports.

All of your images came out very well. I particularly like the third one.
And it is JUST 1 of over 170 shot yet 160 good or at least tech OK).... it started SO FAST and contrinuous I really had no no choice but to keep clicking (though not burst mode) and clicking NON STOP (you can't over run the 10Dbuffer in JPG) just hoping.... with just a little aperture variation via function wheel..... and again JUST HOPE (absolutely not time to even see the just after shot review).... that it came out so overwhelmingly flawless.... again like 6 bad and maybe 5 so so out of 150, is really rather remarkable for JUST WINGING it and caught by surprise (show actually... nothing in KW EVER does.... started... again relentlessly... 15 min early)

Edit...... did the math, show was 11 min long (seemed longer) 190 shots... or a shot every 3.4 sec and there was stuff missed thinking for a few sec there was a slight break, thought of changing lens or settings, even just reviewing a shot... until I realized no way just keep clicking and hope...

Again a testement to the K10D I now see as more INSTANT than I ever thought/accurate AE.... and as I said before, with preset (basically INF) MF and A priority P Mode with an A lens.... that just literally and no time but to just click away and hope, that the 10D did what it did with just like just 2% misses of near 200 shots (likely my fault) just FLOORED me and after the fact, those I showed it to after, I was with.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:41 AM   #9

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Now that's a coincidence. I just used the same lens to shoot fireworks last week.
Really??? Just downloaded shot and looked at the EXIF.... so why f/ 2.8 1/8 sec.... when could have been f/1.7 @ 1/25th???? Likely firework not much different in shape, but rest would have been sharper.

Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:10 AM   #10
TDN

Wow, these are great!

I personally love that lens. Amazing how sharp it is. Absolutely my favourite.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote