Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 1, 2007, 1:26 AM   #1

Hi All.

What is your opinion of this lens.

Worthwhile or a complete pile of junk??

I have seen this one advertised, it is a lot of money, but you thoughts would be appreciated.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 3:06 AM   #2

Is it the M* f4, the A* f4, the F* f4.5 or the FA* f 4.5?. Of course all are outstanding, but the M* should be the least expensive and the F* the most. How much is "a lot of money" in this case?

I recently let down a favourableoffer for a A*, since I think I'll go for a AF1.7 converter for my A* 200 mm instead. Was that stupid or wise, Tom or someone else who can compare?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 11:59 AM   #3

Sorry posted in the main forum as well!!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 6:55 PM   #4

I have the SMC Takumar f/4 300mm and am very happy with it. I got it for under $200, and at that price I think it was quite a bargain.

If you're shooting at f4.0, the depth of field is VERY thin, and it can be difficult to lock in on moving objects, even if they're slow objects like swimming waterfowl. I've occaisionally resorted to using a hand held "focus trap" when shooting at 4.0. Since it's a screw mount, you do have to meter before shooting, but that's not really a big deal (unless of course you forget). While heavy compared to my other lenses, it's very hand holdable.

I use it a lot with a Tamron 1.4 TC, and the combination works pretty well. You do need good light though. Even with the SR, I like to try to keep the shutter speed above 1/250.

If I remember correctly, some of the 300 f/4's do not come with a tripod mount. I would really try to find one that has a mount. Even if you're not using a tripod, the mount is sometimes useful for resting on a handy limb to steady your shot. It's easy to remove if you don't want to use it.

Here's a sample picture

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/4...6ba6030c_b.jpg

dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote