Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 3, 2007, 9:58 AM   #11

Roy, yes still in Timor, Just spent 12 days away form the UN in Bali, got some great shots, will post shortly.

Hayward, the Pentax FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 is a discontinued lens, they stopped producing them in 2004, however you can still obtain them NEWif you can find the right supplier.

The short story is I almost got conned by a dodgy website supplier, I was about to order from them after the replied to my emails. They had the lens listed on their website for $1675USD. I emailed to ask if they actually HAD a lens, the replied that they could supply. I even emailed them regarding postage outside the US.

I got a little suspicious with there very short email responses and checked the seller rating online...whoa!!!!! did I get an education, looks like they are scam artists. That would have been money down the drain. :evil::angry:

I contacted myAustralian Pentax guy and he confirmed he can get the lens NEW from Pentax but the price is $3,029.70USD, thats just a bit too much for what I will do to the lens whilst I am overseas. I have expect to kill my lenses with moisture humidyt tropical rain mud dust dirt and general knocking about.

Not often you get to photograph riots in progress with rocks flying about..:shock:

So I am going to order the Sigma version for half the price and may treat myself to the pentax lens when I finish this odessy :blah:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 1:12 AM   #12

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I half expect to kill my lenses with moisture humidyt tropical rain mud dust dirt and general knocking about.

Not often you get to photograph riots in progress with rocks flying about..:shock:
Well that could be a good excuse for one of the new DA* lenses... that cover most of those bases.

And I hate to admit it but I have once so far let my K10D drop 3+ ft to a tiled concrete floor Didn't land on the lens (which was capped) but on one of the RUBBERIZED ends....
but for hitting basically ROCK it just made a VERY dull thud (vs a CRASH), and no consecquential damage of ANY kind physical or functional... not even a scratch or nick.

VS an old Nikon 800 P&S I did same to a few years ago that was junk after (lens system shot... even though off and retracted).... though fortunately case not damaged, so got fixed under warranty and PROMPTLY SOLD!!!

And living is a very humid... especially summer, plus WET climate and often out on/near water with spray , the K10D sealing was a big plus to me... and may go for a DA* lens for those reasons too sometime soon.

While some may find the K10D a bit heavy... it is a pretty darn HUNKY camera!!!!
Doubt my old HARD plastic C-Rebel would have shaken it off like that.

PS Funny thing too is... NIKON tech took test shots after repair but did not erase the card.... his feet AND HUGE boxes of dead camera inards!!!
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote