Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 17, 2007, 11:59 PM   #21

Last one - I tried to take something with a lot of contrast, to show CA. However, the marine layer hadn't burned off by lunchtime, so there wasn't much sun. I did try shooting a pine tree's needles that were over my head, trying to get as much light vs. dark as I could, but it still wasn't enough. The full sized pictures weren't at all interesting, but I used Lightroom to put them side-by-side, then enlarged them to 100%. did a screen shot, pasted it on a new photoshop file and cropped to fit. When I first looked at a couple of the DA points at 100% I thought I might have some camera shake, but at 1600, that was unlikely. Then I thought the camera hadn't focused right (I used AF), but found this spot where it was in focus. The relative size difference between right and left have to do with the differences in mp, rather than much difference in focal length. I know, not exactly informative, and no CA with either lens.

Forgot to say - the K100 is on the left, the K10 is on the right.

Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 11:25 AM   #22

robar wrote:
Quote:
if this is the bayonet model, then there were 2 versions. one great/the other a paper weight. i got rid of the paperweight.

roy
SO are you ever going to reveal the differences you so see? Model maker min F or whatever?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 6:52 PM   #23

the 2 -versions are the
one harriet has and i had. it's an uncoated version taking 52mm filters. mine NEVER gave me the IQ of hers. you can recognize this one by the print on the outside of the lens barrel.
the other K version takes 58mm filters and is smc coated. it's descrip is on the front ring of the lens. this one sells for about 8 times what it's brother sells for.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 7:46 PM   #24

Hayward - I thought I was rather clear about the lenses and cameras used - each picture was identified by camera, lens, and f stop used, though I didn't include shutter speed. I was comparing the K100 with the Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm 2.5, (the onepictured in the first picture), and the DA 50-200 on the K10. As I mentioned several times in the series of posts, I still think that my DA 50-200 has some sort of problem.

As I said in the first post, this isn't a scientific comparison, since I didn't have much time and besides, my K10 doesn't expose properlyusing the green button andK/M lenses. So I used the manual lens on the K100, which DOES expose correctly using the AF-L button and manual lenses, and the DA 50-200 (the only other lens I have that covers 135mm) on the K10.

I went on a walk around the neighborhood yesterday and took a bunch of pictures with it, putting it in difficult lighting conditions. I didn't get any CA but did get quite a bit of flare when shooting more or less into the early morning sun (significant backlit flowers). I'll post one or two processed pictures when I get back home tomorrow, and leave it to you to judge whether you think the lens is a "keeper" or not.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:54 AM   #25

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Hayward -I was comparing the K100 with the Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm 2.5, (the onepictured in the first picture), and the DA 50-200 on the K10. As I mentioned several times in the series of posts, I still think that my DA 50-200 has some sort of problem.
That could be but a prime lens in it's element range will ALWAYS outshine a zoom. And then there is also the not always perfect depending on mode and shot AF vs time for it MF likely more percise.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 6:26 PM   #26

A couple more taken with the K100 and the Takumar.

This first one was shot with the sun directly in front of me, and the flare is significant, but can be reduced with pp. This type of flare can be useful for certain types of pictures.Taken raw, converted inLR, resized CS2 bicubic sharper but no otherprocessing.
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2007, 6:30 PM   #27

Last one. This one was cropped, resized,and sharpened a bit. Posted just because I like it, not that it adds anything to what I've shown before.
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2007, 8:20 PM   #28

I couldn't resist one more, as I was going through the pictures from Friday. This is 100% crop, converted with LR default settings, a little levels adjustment, no sharpening at all (since this is 100% crop, there's no resizing either). Not bad for a 27 year old kit lens without coatings and a poor reputation.

Band-Tailed Pigeon.
Attached Images

Old May 30, 2007, 11:49 AM   #29

mtngal, do u think the takumar with a close up lens will be decent for close ups-macro?

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 3:17 PM   #30

Just my opinion, but I would think the Tak would work better with extension tubes - that's true in general because there isn't additional glass between the subject and the lens to degrade your image. I don't have a close focusing filter to fit the Tak so haven't tried it.