Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 31, 2007, 9:57 AM   #31

Lando, here's a topic I posted of macro shots of very small spiders:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

The first few were shot with the Takumar 135 f/2.5 (Bayonet "paperweight") stacked on a Vivitar Macro 2x Teleconverter.

Here's a sample shot of a spider approximately 1" long, uncropped.

100% crop. The lens was stopped down to f/16. It was sharpend in ACR, but no additional sharpening was applied.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 11:07 AM   #32

it doesn't seem so sharp, at least at this focus....

thanks for sharing anyway
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:01 AM   #33
TDN

hmm, some interesting results here. Thought it would have more CA.

I'm picking up one of these next saturday, together with some 2nd hand stuff I bought.
I will probably sell it later, but I'll be sure to post some test shots on here first.

Seems like different copies don't deliver the same result with these lenses.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:18 AM   #34

Lando wrote:
Quote:
it doesn't seem so sharp, at least at this focus....
Well you do have to factor in the 2x teleconverter, not to mention that f/16 is not going to be the lens' sharpest f-stop. When you take a 135mm lens, stretch it to 405mm equivalent and then crop 100%, I think some softness would be expected.

Here's a shot taken from my window with just the 135mm lens:

100% crop at f/5.6

100% crop at f/8

100% crop at f/8 with sharpening.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 8:37 PM   #35

I have the Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5 and no doubt about it: it is a piece of junk. The IQ is terrible and it just not worth risking the dust bunnies. Mine has oil on blades that seems to come back no matter how I clean it.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 8:05 PM   #36
TDN

I just picked up a mint copy today, and was able to shoot some images with it, I'll post samples later.

At first sight, this didn't seem like such a bad lens.

At f8 it's pretty sharp and I didn't notice much CA.

And what I can say say is that it's built pretty good. It has a very nice feel to it, and the focus ring is well damped.

What I did notice was a slight lack of contrast in the images, but this was easily solved in post-processing...

I might sell this one again, I might not...we'll see.

Tom
Old Jun 10, 2007, 4:32 PM   #37
TDN

here is a sample at f8, with my standard processing in PS (slight sharpening and exposure/color/contrast corrections): shows this lens is definitly usable if you ask me...

an unedited 100% crop

one wide open, just resized:

and 100% crop

conclusion: wide open not much, but stopped down it gives you a very decent amount of detail, and a pleasant bokeh. Contrast could be a little better, but this is easily corrected in post-processing.
If I didnt already have the Kiron 105mm, which is a lot better, I'd keep this one.

I decided to sell it because I could use the money. People who are interested can pm me with an offer, otherwise it's going on ebay somewhere this week.

Tom
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:55 PM   #38

I agree with you that it doesn't have quite as high contrast as some of the new lenses, but mine is certainly sharp.

I've been playing around with it and the K10 today. Here's a picture that I thought was interesting - it's done in two layers. The first one is the full frame picture, resized to fit here. As you can see, the airplane wasn't very low. The inset is a 100% crop of the plane. I took the picture in raw, and converted it in Lightroom. There was no pp done, other than to resize the original, then reconvert the original cropped. The only pp done on the 100% crop was to create the white border and drop shadow - no USM.

I think I'll continue to play with it for a while - it's not a macro lens and I'm sure it's not as good as the Kiron 105mm Macro, but its turning out to be a fun lens to use instead of my problematic DA 50-200.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 1:40 AM   #39

Well I did pick up a supposed JC PENNY though not labelled as such (In fact no branding at all) 2.8 PK/M for pretty cheap (~$30) off ebay.

Says made in Koera.... I forget who is that glass maker really actually? Little I've used it so far very nice images, vs common zooms in same range.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:51 AM   #40
TDN

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I think I'll continue to play with it for a while - it's not a macro lens and I'm sure it's not as good as the Kiron 105mm Macro, but its turning out to be a fun lens to use instead of my problematic DA 50-200.
yes indeed, on a DSLR it acts as a moderate tele. It's also pretty compact, so that makes it nice for candid photography.

but, I'm moving into a new place in 2 weeks, and with the summer holiday coming up, I'll be able to use the extra cash, so mine is going on the bay

Tom