Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 16, 2007, 1:05 PM   #1

I`m looking for a good sharp standard zoom lens for my Pentax K10 and i`m not sure i`ll wait for the new Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 to come out because it`s going to be quite expensive.

I`m hesitating about taking the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro , i hear so many great critics on this lens , it`s a pity that the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 isn`t available in Pentax mount .

Any other ideas ?

Another good reason is that it`s cheap : 299 euro
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 1:08 PM   #2

If u don't mind losing some wide angle, i hear great things about the tamron 28-75 f 2.8, my brother in law uses one on a Canon 20D and it's great, some people say on same level as a Canon L series.

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 3:02 PM   #3

Lando wrote:
Quote:
If u don't mind losing some wide angle, i hear great things about the tamron 28-75 f 2.8, my brother in law uses one on a Canon 20D and it's great, some people say on same level as a Canon L series.

Well that`s just the thing , i do mind losing some wide angle because i`d make more use of working between 17 & 50 then between 50 & 70.

In fact i need such a lens for city pics and that`s when you always need to take a few steps back because you can`t fit such & such monument in your frame.

I`ve got a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for portrait and low light photography and a small zoom lens would be just perfect for city & landscape pics.

You are right about this Tamron lens , it`s very highly rated.

In fact i`m having to choose between the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 and the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 1:01 AM   #4

I was happy with the kit lens, but always disappointed in its viginetting. I was always more towards the bottom end, and thus at 18 I had some problems. I finally ended up with the Pentax 16-45 f4. I have been really happy with it, as it pretty much stays on my camera all the time now. Its very sharp, and has some really good reviews. Compared to the kit lens - which tended to hunt on auto focusing, this snaps to focus - dead on, absolutely no hunting at all.

If you have you low light covered with the 30mm then maybe the constant f4 will not present any problems. It is larger than the kit (the primary lens is 67mm when compared to the kit is massive) and a bit heavier, which caused me to pause. However, after having it 6 mts now, there was absolutely no reason to worry. Actually with it mounted on the camera, the package is well balanced and a joy ot use. Also the primary lens does not rotate, thus works well with polarizing filters.

The only drawback I have noticed is the shadow it projects with the built in flash, as the lens has somewhat of a nose when mounted on the K100D based on the angle from the flash down to where the lens is projected out to. Its also a reverse lens, so that when at its widest - 16mm, it is fully extended out (hence the shadow more pronounced when at wide angles).

Here is a pretty comprehensive review - with numbers that may help
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...45_4/index.htm

I have never had any viginetting with this lens, and have never experienced any CA as indicated in the review. I probably need to go back and check - but I may have been operating in the sweet spot of the lens, but it has been nothing but great for me.

Hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 1:34 AM   #5

Lando wrote:
Quote:
And if you don't mind maybe not absolute perfection.... but for a bargain price quite good IQ, and as has been discussed here of late (especially for just carrying camera and one lens or two if you want longer or shorter FL) the Tamron 28-200mm lens is pretty darn nice too, for an inexpensive 7x lens.

And MUCH better than the 28-300 10X lenses that get real compromised in IQ at the long (above 200mm unless significantly stopped down) end from either Tamron or Sigma. (Had a Sigma 28-300mm on my old CRebel)

Personally I think both Tamron and Sigma should dump the the 28-300mm's for the much better 28-200's and stop suckering people than only look at numbers.

While I could easily likely sell that old Sigma 28-300mm.... I'd feel guilty doing it.... but I'd have no qualms selling my Tamron 28-200mm, should I decide on something better.

And actually while many would just POHH POOH them out of hand , I am very impressed by my Phoenix 100-400mm P AF lens.... you think about it only a 4x lens... not real opticaly demanding range,,, and paired with the Tamron 28-200mm the two lenses I currently most use and overlap very nicely with no gap.... and a not manditory swap needed if 200mm is enough.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 2:23 AM   #6

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
Well that`s just the thing , i do mind losing some wide angle because i`d make more use of working between 17 & 50 then between 50 & 70.
Well then you absolutely need two lenses!!!

28- 200mm are pretty OK but the 28-300mm are pretty horrid.

You want to go under 28mm then you really need to dedicate yourself to that.... like 19-5mm linite3d range lense... or the Pentax kit 18-55mm while not great pretty ggod, or the many 19-35mm's..

Under 18mm be ready to spend BIG $$$

And again needs to be a lens dedicated to that range not a wide range one.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 4:12 PM   #7

I use the Tamron 28-75mm XR Di 1:2.8 Macro for my Pentax ist DS and leave it on. Great lens for me.

I had the Tamron 28-200mm XR LD lens and liked it very much. It was the first lens I bought after getting my first dSLR and 18-55mm kit lens. I no longer have it since I decided to get the 50-200mm DA lens which for me works nicely.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote