Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 25, 2007, 5:06 PM   #1

I know that several people in the Steve's Pentax forums have commented on having lenses that needed repaired. I had two cheap ebay purchases, a Kiron 28-85mm and a Kiron 28mm f/2.0 that both arrived with sticky aperture blades. They were cheap enough that I decided to hang onto them and just get them fixed someday. Then my F 50mm 1.7, my favorite people lens, developed the same problem suddenly and getting lenses fixed became a priority. I thought I would share my research and experience with getting these lenses repaired.

www.keh.com: We all know Keh and I have been happy with the items I have purchased from them. On the repair side, you can select your lens and problem through their menu and get an instant repair estimate. On the negative side, their estimate for repairing these three lenses was over $350.00.

http://members.shaw.ca/f35mru20458/rates.html: This is the website for Ralph Innes and his sideline business LensTech. He comes highly recommended on the Kiron mail list and I was planning on sending my two manual focus lenses to him before the F 50mm went down. He is a rare sort who is willing to give advice to help you repair your own lens as well as fix it for you. Unfortunately, he does not work on auto-focus lenses. For an older manual focus and especially a Kiron or Vivitar, I would feel very confident sending it to him.

http://www.camerarepair.com/: This is where I ended up sending my lenses. Their rates seemed to be pretty close to Ralph's and it set me back $172 for the three lenses. I liked the way these folks kept me advised of the progress every step of the way with emails telling me the lenses had arrived, emails with their estimate, emails with the invoice when the work was done, and then a tracking number when they return shipped. All three lenses came back repaired and with perfectly clean glass to boot.

I know I probably have more invested in the two manual focus lenses than they are worth but I would rather repair them than throw them away. When I get a chance to do some test shots with the two Kiron's I will try to post them.

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 7:56 AM   #2

Tim---Congratulations on saving the older glass..So many people today would just throw it away & purchase another..<

We live in such a "bottom line" society that this attitude is pervasive across the board regardless of a persons social status, economic worth, education, etc...Until the mid-Twentieth century in the U.S. & most western countries; & still today in the vast majority of the rest of the world, people are forced by sheer economic necessity to find creative ways to repair & extend the life of the things that break...<

When I was younger my father always took apart any thing that stopped working to try & fix it before buying a new item to replace the broken one..You cannot always do that today as so many things are designed NOT to be repairable..<

Even so a lot of mechanics/ fixer-uppers have figured out ingenious ways to repair "unrepairable" equipment..Anyway, I thank you for the links & the info..I'll save them as I am sure that I will need this info someday.. <

Take lots of images & be well..Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:59 AM   #3

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I know that several people in the Steve's Pentax forums have commented on having lenses that needed repaired. I had two cheap ebay purchases, a Kiron 28-85mm and a Kiron 28mm f/2.0 that both arrived with sticky aperture blades. They were cheap enough that I decided to hang onto them and just get them fixed someday. Then my F 50mm 1.7, my favorite people lens, developed the same problem suddenly and getting lenses fixed became a priority. I thought I would share my research and experience with getting these lenses repaired.

http://www.keh.com: We all know Keh and I have been happy with the items I have purchased from them. On the repair side, you can select your lens and problem through their menu and get an instant repair estimate. On the negative side, their estimate for repairing these three lenses was over $350.00.

http://members.shaw.ca/f35mru20458/rates.html: This is the website for Ralph Innes and his sideline business LensTech. He comes highly recommended on the Kiron mail list and I was planning on sending my two manual focus lenses to him before the F 50mm went down. He is a rare sort who is willing to give advice to help you repair your own lens as well as fix it for you. Unfortunately, he does not work on auto-focus lenses. For an older manual focus and especially a Kiron or Vivitar, I would feel very confident sending it to him.

http://www.camerarepair.com/: This is where I ended up sending my lenses. Their rates seemed to be pretty close to Ralph's and it set me back $172 for the three lenses. I liked the way these folks kept me advised of the progress every step of the way with emails telling me the lenses had arrived, emails with their estimate, emails with the invoice when the work was done, and then a tracking number when they return shipped. All three lenses came back repaired and with perfectly clean glass to boot.

I know I probably have more invested in the two manual focus lenses than they are worth but I would rather repair them than throw them away. When I get a chance to do some test shots with the two Kiron's I will try to post them.

Tim

Tim I appreciate very much the URL's for the lens repair. I'm very capable of doing my own but prefer to let the professionals do it for me. I've a 200mm f/4 Super Takumar with sticky aperture blades I've worked on myself. But I'd prefer a professional do it for me. The cost of the repairs is not what matters it is the thrill of shooting with a vintage lens and out doing the new lenses in the bargain for half or less the money. I could not afford good lenses in the 60's, 70's and 80's so now I buy the ones I remember lusting after back then! Again many thanks from this Old Dawg!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote