Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 26, 2007, 2:51 PM   #1

Has anyone purchased a lens from Canada, Europe, Asia??..Good or Bad experience??..Coupla lenses on E-Bay I'm looking at from overseas..What about Customs??..Thanks for your help!! Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 4:41 PM   #2

They were not Pentax brand, but I have picked up lenses from both the UK and Canada. All were sent to me via the postal service, never any issues with customs. None of them were that expensive either though.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:06 AM   #3

And they properly function.... ie Richo, etc?

Having had it happen once myself..... how about did it have the Pentax tapered aperture tab guard or not....

The ONE iIhave had dealings with was fortunately a cheap 2x manual (K) TC.... that I could bend/mangle the upper tab on enought to give it more twist lattitude to get it off my K10D..... seemed like the Richo pin thing but after some time with a feeler guage realized it wasn't.... and it was that bare aperture tab (many old non supposed Petnax leses have was the problem of it not releasing.... went ON fine.... but there is a reason on Pentax's for te tapered flange missing from many other K's.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 7:06 AM   #4
TDN

I am from Europe, and have bought 1 lens from Canada last year. I had to pay pretty high import taxes and customs costs, dunno if it works the same way in both directions...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 9:41 AM   #5

I purchased my A* 200 f/2.8 from the EU and I was charged by customs because it was over their limit of free import. Other than than No Problems.

The customs thing was kind of strange, the lens arrived just fine, but them I got a bill for the import duty through customs about a week later. It wasn't really that much, about 15%, but it was a surprice just the same.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:24 PM   #6
TDN

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I purchased my A* 200 f/2.8 from the EU and I was charged by customs because it was over their limit of free import. Other than than No Problems.

The customs thing was kind of strange, the lens arrived just fine, but them I got a bill for the import duty through customs about a week later. It wasn't really that much, about 15%, but it was a surprice just the same.

Tom
Oh ok, then you don't have to pay Taxes on top of that.

Mine was about 89 euros shipped when I bought it off ebay.
On top of that, I had to pay the 21% VAT that is obligated here in Belgium, + UPS charged me another 14 euros for...well I don't know for what, I guess that could be the import duties...

In the end the lens cost me about 120 euros in total, that's almost 50% more than I payed the actual seller...

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 1:34 PM   #7

Does anyone know the amount over which you have to pay import duty??<

Coming into the USA, that is??
Old May 27, 2007, 3:56 PM   #8

Well, if I am reading this correctly:
http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff_current.asp

There are no tariffs on digital camera lenses from 55-200mm focal length and under 255 grams being imported from any country with which the US has normal trading relations. I don't know if that still leaves a standard import duty that is different from an item specific tariff. Lenses from 17-55mm can be even heavier but also have no tariff. I could not find what, if any, the tariff is on under 17mm and over 200mm Dslr lenses. I could not find a reference for film SLR lenses.

Interestingly, I also found this document where it looks like Nikon is trying to get the tariffs on lenses narrowly applied to specific lengths and weights so as to exclude some Sigma lenses and hamper the competition. Sigma has objected.

http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/other/...nts/s-3306.pdf

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 4:59 PM   #9

Well, hrm, I've bought all my lenses outside the USA, and US customs has never been a problem.:blah:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 5:17 PM   #10

Hey Tim<

I was wondering about the Customs thing in case I was ever able to afford one of the A* lenses from 85mm & larger..All of these lenses seem to be selling recently for close to, or above 1000 USD.<

Been tracking such lenses (& others) on E-Bay for several weeks now..Just since I've been keeping records the most popular ones have sold for increasingly larger sums of money.<

The same thing is being discussed on the "Bidders Are Crazy" thread on the Pentax/ Samsung DSLR forum.<

Bruce