Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 26, 2007, 9:27 PM   #1

Do you guys think that I'd be getting a good deal for this used Lens. It's said to be in perfect condition, and this would be a local buy, so I'll be able to test it out before laying down the goods. $500 Canadian is roughly $463 US.

I originally offered $350 (gotta start real low), and he said his negocial price was $650. So I offered that we split the difference and meet halfway at $500. He accepted, but wants to know if I offically accept.

How 'bout some of you optics pros give me the good word :G

EDIT There's supossed to be a "?" at the end of the post topic. Kinda totally changes the meaning of my post...oh well
Attaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 12:13 AM   #2

Attaboy wrote:
Quote:
Do you guys think that I'd be getting a good deal for this used Lens
If you can test it before buy why even really ask? Your eyeballs should tell all and maybe not RAZOR $$$$$ sharp but for the money acceptable to you.?

What anyone else thinks doesn't really matter except maybe they coud outspend you.

Just remember test particularly wide open @ full zoom even if that means it's high noon and you have to shoot a cubby hole somewhere from 20 ft away.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:18 AM   #3

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Attaboy wrote:
Quote:
Do you guys think that I'd be getting a good deal for this used Lens
If you can test it before byy why even really ask? Your eyeballs should tell all and maybe not RAZOR $$$$$ sharp but for the money acceptable to you.?

What anyone else thinks doesn't really matter except maybe they coud outspend you.

Just remember test particularly wide open @ full zoom even if that means it's high noon and you have to shot a cubby hole somewhere.
But if it is in good condition, and fully functional, is the price right??? Is he ripping me off, or am I ripping him off, or should we both be happy:?
Old May 27, 2007, 12:20 AM   #4

For Can $$$ and looks good to the eye balls no I'd say that is well within line for what it is. (The Bigma is twice that)

Though keep in mind pretty slow f/ wise (surprisingly so at the wide end and 170mm) so pretty much a daylight, maybe sunset with SR lens.
Old May 27, 2007, 12:26 AM   #5

Thanks so much for your opinion Hayward, it's very much appreciated.

At the moment, my furthest reach is 200mm. I'm very happy with my lens below 100mm, having the three limited DA's (21mm, 40mm and 70mm) as well as the Sigma 17-70.

I think I'm gonna go for it, and maybe throw in a 1.4x teleconverter to make it a monster 238-700mm.

Thanks again. It's a lot of money for me to spend, and I'm now confident that I'm making a good choice.
Old May 27, 2007, 12:27 AM   #6

The limiteds weren't close to or MORE???

And actually thinking back asked others here the same question..... but you get habnds on test..... EYEBALLING IT

As I recall now not quite as good as the Bigma (but also hallf the price)

Ended up with Phoenix many pooh pooh yet never seen or had had hands on $120 ($250+ new) Phoenix 100-400mm lens that optically is really quit nice though build leaves a bit to be desired..... I disilike push-pull zooms.... but for price an OK compromise, and no great loss if something catastphic happens to it.

And OK not the fastest thing on earth either.... but starts at a more normal 4.5 @100mm and maxes out at 6.7 @ 400mm.... but fdor $120 I am quite happy with it.

Oh and lastly assumming this is used.... the condition is???? NEW US$ is in the $550 area.
Old May 27, 2007, 12:35 AM   #7

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
The limiteds weren't close to or MORE???

Ok, what I meant to say is that AFTER buying the three limited, $500 is ALOT of money to spend:lol: