Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:56 AM   #11

BTW on the lens. i decided not to get them. for 2 reasons

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1: she when on e-bay and saw what they where going for and upped her price

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2: i do not think that i am ready to handle manual lens yet . yikes tried this weekend with no luck will just keep playingwith the 2 i have now .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"but thank you everybody for your advice. at least i learned a lot
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 5:45 AM   #12

TDN wrote:
Quote:
A-lenses (these are manual focus lenses with an 'A'-position on the aperture ring) will work with all exposure modes, but only in MF (manual focus) mode.

M-lenses ( lenses in K-mount, but without an 'A'-position on the aperture ring) will also mount, but will only work in 1 mode, being the M (manual) mode. (and with manual focus only of course)
Neither quite entirely true... The AE aspectts are.... but yes they have to be manually focused.... BUT most of the Pentax digitals (And definately the new K's) do allow for AF confirmation (VF icon flash and blip) with MF lenses.

And if camera left in AF mode, you can even press the shutter, and it will trip automaticaly whent the camera sees focus.... sort of SEMI AF.... your hand instead of motor. (Though with an M lens you would have to have the E/manAE right first)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 5:01 PM   #13

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
The biggest potential problem are lenses with a Ricoh mount. These are essentially the same as the Pentax K mount, but have an extra pin which can allow the lens to get stuck on any of the Pentax digital SLR bodies. I'd say stay away from any lens that says anything about Ricoh on it, or has PK/R stamped or engraved anywhere. If one does get stuck, it's not the end of the world, but it's a significant hassle, and you don't want to go there.
The problem mentioned above does exist, but it is NOT a problem with ALL Ricoh lenses. It only happens on lenses made to work with Ricoh's autoexposure system. This means the problem lenses are Ricoh made lenses with a "P" (program) setting along with a few aftermarket lenses (the Aftermarket lenses are sometimes harder to spot).

The pin in question serves the same purpose as the pin for the "A" setting on pentax lenses, but it is physically located in a different spot on the ring. Where the pin is located, it can get stuck in the autofocus drive when mounting or removing the lens.

In other words, any fully manual Ricoh K-mount lens will mount to any K-mount camera out there and not cause a problem. I've certainly used all of the Ricoh made lenses I used with my Ricoh KR-5 Super II on my K10D without an issue.

I do have one Tokina lens (which I bought after I got the K10D) that has the extra pin for the Ricoh autoexposure system. The only extra hastle I have with it is needing to remember to take the lens out of the A mode to take it off the camera, and making sure it is not in the A mode when I put it on the camera. One of these days I may remove the mount and pull out Ricoh AE contact.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:28 PM   #14
TDN

julianne wrote:
Quote:
TDN wrote:
Quote:

Someone should write a webpage about this...this has been asked so many times...I think I'll do that one of these days

Hope I could help.

Tom
i think you should !!! i then to look for yourposts because i always understand what you are talking about. well you and a few others seem to not get too technical and go over a newbie's head

Well, I did! :G

as mentioned here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

You can find info about the different types of lenses for pentax here:

http://pentaxdigital.tdn9.be/?page_id=4

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:34 PM   #15

pbender wrote:
Quote:
In other words, any fully manual Ricoh K-mount lens will mount to any K-mount camera out there and not cause a problem. I've certainly used all of the Ricoh made lenses I used with my Ricoh KR-5 Super II on my K10D without an issue.
Actually many of the A type will too.

There were actually two different types.....

Its a thin cylindrical pin = likely problem.

Others use a ball bearing ( like the pentax AF contacts) and those will work just fine due to the broader spherical shape. (even though in the same unusual position)

I have a Samyang 28mm A with Richo (PK-A/R) mount, but it is the ball type and no problem, on my K-10D.

The Pentax Digital site mentioned above on mounts is good, but also contains ommision of this fact,
Plus if you are good with small things and jewlers screwdivers, even the pin type can be modified to be OK on Pentax digital.

Haven't seen enough samples to say, but this could also be the difference between PK-R and PK-A/R lenses.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:16 AM   #16
TDN

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
The Pentax Digital site mentioned above on mounts is good, but also contains ommision of this fact,
Plus if you are good with small things and jewlers screwdivers, even the pin type can be modified to be OK on Pentax digital.

Haven't seen enough samples to say, but this could also be the difference between PK-R and PK-A/R lenses.
yes, you're right, some of the "A" types do mount. I had a Tokina SZ-X 70-210 that said: "PK-A/R" on the bottom, and it mounted without problems...

However, I don't know for sure which types can and can't, so I played it safe and advised to avoid Ricoh A lenses. I mentioned the earlier XR types are safe.

Should you find some confirmation that the PK-A/R types are in fact all safe, I'd be glad to add it to the page

Tom
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:35 PM   #17

Or again just add to the page... before buying or phsically looking is it skinny cylindrical pin or a ball bearing protrusion..... that is the diffinitave factor in if they will work without surgery..... with ball the odd location is not an issue.... big and spherical enough to just roll right over the AF socket.... not even any noticed drag.... same feel as a normal A, F/FA or M lens on and off.

And the Smayang 28mm A I do have has BOTH the standard Pentax ball A contact as well as the also ball Ricoh contact. Again something I am not sure about with the plain Richo branded or just PK-R's I have stayed away from.... off Ebay the 28mm was cheap enough to take the chance on.

And actually my bigger concern was no tapered deflection flange true Pentax lenses have and good clones (like Sigma and Tamron) . Having had an old 2x manual TC that got stuck on the camera because the aperture flange was a tad longer that it should have been (Soligor BTW).... fortunately being just a cheap TC I could take a pair of pliers to the lens side of the tab and bend it enough to get the lower end to deflect enough to get the dsamn thing off. If had actually been a true lens I'd have been in BIG troble.... like hack saw cut it off

So that is another consideration in non Pentaxt lenses.... I though the tapered flange not there would the problem again (no pin).... and the Samyang not having one is why I didn't mount it for some time.... until I did compare it to a true P lens and it matched.... but MAKE sure that apperture tab is of standard length before you mount it THAT was the ACTUAL problem. And agin if it's not compared to a standard lens.... a pair of cutting pliers on that tab before mount could have easily fixed the problem and maintained functionality.... and certainly removal.

IT SEEMED LIKE THE PIN THING.... but being a M TC there was none and feeler guage did no good. Evidentally that length tolerance is tighter on the digitals than it was on the film cameras, and a LONG one WILL get hung up in the stop down mechanism on a digital. (K10Din my case).
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:27 AM   #18

TDN wrote:
Quote:
yes, you're right, some of the "A" types do mount. I had a Tokina SZ-X 70-210 that said: "PK-A/R" on the bottom, and it mounted without problems...
So was it BALL or PIN.... I'd put money on the former (ball)

If so, still just two cases (here), but again maybe IS the difference between PK-R and PK-A/R

Your the one with the "FACTUAL PAGE" time to investigate this maybe :idea:

And manybe give obsrevining people access to the LAST of the cheap for pentax used lens...... amazed by what my $25 incld shipping F/2 (once the kit lens... why so many) 50mm SMC A often goes for now.

You seem to want to have your page be the DIFINITIVE source of mount/lenses you claim it to be..... then investigate this..... could be for a brief time the last of the cheap used 3rd party Pentax prime lenes... if that is actually what PK-A/R vs PK-R actually means, as well as more confidence in buying without mount pic properly oriented verification if said to be PK-A/R... me its just speculation, but would seem to likely be the case... you are the one with the page, claiming know all.

Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:47 AM   #19
TDN

My god...why do you have to turn everything into an argument?

I don't "claim" to know it all, in fact I specifically mention that I'm far from an expert in the "About" page. Compared to people been with pentax since the early film days I know nothing.

I'm also not selling anything here, you make it sound like I am.
I justed wanted to make something that might be helpful...

Tom
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:31 AM   #20

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I justed wanted to make something that might be helpful...

Tom
And everyone but one (don't want to name names here, but:angry person appreciates that very much. Thanks, thanks and thanks again for your unselfish contribution, Tom.:bye:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote