Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:37 PM   #21

Seconded.

It would be nice to have a central place to find useful info rather than search several '000 posts!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:50 PM   #22

[suP]Your(?)[/suP] the one with the "FACTUAL PAGE" time to investigate this maybe :idea:

And [suP]manybe[/suP] give[suP]obsrevining [/suP]people access to the LAST of the cheap for pentax used [suP]lens[/suP]...... amazed by what my $25 incld shipping F/2 (once the kit lens... why so many) 50mm SMC A often goes for now.

You seem to want to have your page be the [suP]DIFINITIVE[/suP] source of mount/lenses you claim it to be..... then investigate this..... could be for a brief time the last of the cheap used 3rd party Pentax prime [suP]lenes[/suP]... if that is actually what PK-A/R vs PK-R actually means, as well as more confidence in buying without mount pic properly oriented verification if said to be PK-A/R... me its just speculation, but would seem to likely be the case... [suP]you are the one with the page, claiming know all[/suP].

hayward, i'm so tired of your sh!#.!!!! try posting when you're sober. too many 'key lime margaritas' perhaps????
''ispell'' perhaps for firefox????

tom,
with the schedule of finals in school you have, i'm very surprised that you did such a comprehensive page. thanks, i'll be linking to it. i have seen a couple of minor mistakes but what the he!!. it's much better than most here will do and i'm sure you still see it as a work in progess.. great job.!!!
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:51 PM   #23

DP
Old Jun 16, 2007, 6:02 PM   #24

TP
problems persist
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:29 AM   #25

TDN wrote:
Quote:
My god...why do you have to turn everything into an argument?

I don't "claim" to know it all, in fact I specifically mention that I'm far from an expert in the "About" page. Compared to people been with pentax since the early film days I know nothing.

I'm also not selling anything here, you make it sound like I am.
I justed wanted to make something that might be helpful...

Tom
Sorry you take it that way.... other than a Pentax Practica clone back in the late 60's M42 days, then fast forward through a Minolta SR-101 and later and old Canon AE-1 to 6 months ago the K-10D. That is my total Pentax Experience, but have sought to find out, observe, and share all I can since and don't get nasty and defensive when corrected. (Such as not initially understanding what * lenses where and a number of other things. Its just all about leraning. Sorry to be just suggesting to a teacher /authority maybe there was something they overlooked.

You however have made even your icon promoting it and posting many places around here about it as a seeming the difinitive source thing.

Just a SUGGESTION of something you were missing, and should be added.

SHEESH didn't say it sucked or anything. And of similar pages around the web it is one of the best.

And as I said you or anyone else is welcome to use my posted mount image as to what the ball type R mounts are about..... vs pin.

Again you have a great page there.... but it needs a little added info as far as the Richo thing goes.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 5:12 AM   #26
TDN

I don't mind that you corrected me, you're missing the point entirely here.

In fact, if you read my post, you'll see that initially, I just said "you're right", but that I didn't have enough information to be sure, so i played it safe on the site.

I even said that if you did know the deal with the Ricoh lenses for sure, I'd be more than happy to put it on the site.

I just don't want someone emailing me saying "I put a Ricoh A lens on my camera because you said it was safe, and now it's stuck".

What I do mind, is that you assume that I'm "claiming to know it all", want to be "the definitive source for information" and just should invest all my time into finding out which ricoh lenses fit on my camera, by doing so, actually risking that my camera gets damaged, and spending some of my grocery money on ebay for getting them...

Basicly, you make it sound like I want to be dpreview or something.

What I'm most surprised about, is that for once, you gave a reasonable, truthful answer (Fri Jun 15th, 2007 05:34 am) and I replied to it in a friendly way, even acknowledging that you were right, and yet still, you turned it into an arguement where you made an a s s out of yourself.

What you gave me, was far from a suggestion, it sounded more like an accusation.
Roy, he gave a suggestion. He said he found some mistakes, left the choice up to me whether to ask about them or not, I pmed him about it, and he will send the corrections back to me. very suggestive. simple. friendly. and most of all calm.

As by now you're probably already boiling behind that computer there, waiting to spew out one of your usual posts, I have a suggestion. Go outside, get some air, and calm down. Then come back, and actually take the time necessary for completing your post. Just a suggestion though, what you do with it is up to you.

Tom

Quote:
sug·ges·tion [suhg-jes-chuhn, suh-]
–noun
1. the act of suggesting.
2. the state of being suggested.
3. something suggested, as a piece of advice: We made the suggestion that she resign.
4. a slight trace: He speaks with a suggestion of a foreign accent.
5. the calling up in the mind of one idea by another by virtue of some association or of some natural connection between the ideas.
6. the idea thus called up.
7. Psychology.
a. the process of inducing a thought, sensation, or action in a receptive person without using persuasion and without giving rise to reflection in the recipient.
b. the thought, sensation, or action induced in this way.

[Origin: 1300–50; ME suggestio(u)n incitement to evil < ML suggestiōn- (s. of suggestiō), L: act of supplying an answer or hint, equiv. to suggest(us) (see suggest) + -iōn- -ion] —Synonyms 1, 3. See advice.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:17 AM   #27

Along the same lines as the original topic here, I've been looking for an A lens of a certain length, but A lenses can be hard to find at times. I've been noticing some screw mount lenses with an auto/manual switch on them. With a m42/K adapter, would I be esentially getting an A lens, so I could use the Az setting on my camera?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:30 AM   #28
TDN

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
Along the same lines as the original topic here, I've been looking for an A lens of a certain length, but A lenses can be hard to find at times. I've been noticing some screw mount lenses with an auto/manual switch on them. With a m42/K adapter, would I be esentially getting an A lens, so I could use the Az setting on my camera?
No, the "A" position on the M42 lens indicates the auto setting that was used on the early Spotmatic screw mount cameras. The user would select the aperture on the lens, and the camera would stop it down with the little pin.

This way it was easier for the user to focus with the lens wide open.
(much like the current system with the lever on K mount lenses)

But, your digital slr doesn't have that mechanism to push the pin down, so you'll always have to use the M42 lens in M mode, this way the aperture is actually stopped down as you turn the ring. (you'll see the viewfinder get darker when you decrease the aperture )

You can use the lens in Av mode then, because the camera will be getting a correct metering trough the lens, but you have to select the aperture on the lens, not on camera.
It will also become hard to focus starting from f8 and smaller...

nonetheless, M42 lenses are often very high quality, and worth the hassle.

Tom
Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:34 AM   #29

tom this is where i saw the mistake on your page. with a M42 lens you want to set the lens to M and use the camera in Av mode as it's metering the light it receives. i haven't checked if you have to press the AE-L or green button in M mode to change the reading when shooting in M mode on the camera. it just makes more sense to use Av with a M42 lens.

roy
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:07 PM   #30
TDN

It's a bit spread out, thats true, so it might not be as obvious in the text as I thought it was, but the 3 elements are there:

Quote:
These lenses can be used in M mode and Av Mode.
it's easier to use Av mode for automatic exposure. Use M mode when you want to select the shutter speed yourself.
and

Things to check when using lenses of this type:
  • Make sure your lens is set to "M" (Manual) and not to "A". [/*]
Maybe I'll rewrite it later to make it more compact and clear.
Got an exam tomorrow, so it'll have to wait

Tom