Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 30, 2007, 6:34 AM   #1

Hi, here again one more doubt.

I got a circular polarizer ( Tiffen brand ) for the kit lens of my k100d, since it's the lens i use for wideangle, and therefore for the sky.

I know i have to rotate for maximum effect, but how do I know when it's in the correct position? are there any tricks to know?

Thanks as usual.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2007, 8:17 AM   #2

Hi,

As far as I know there is No correct position. I just rotate the polarizer till I get what I think looks good to me thru the viewfinder.

I hope this helps you.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:02 AM   #3

Actually, there isn't any real "right answer" when it comes to polarizers - sometimes you'll want more and sometimes you'll want less effect ("just rotate it until you get what you like" is good advice).

However, there are some things that will give you more effect. One thing I was told is to have the sun on your shoulder (easy way for me to remember it). You are now at 90 degrees from the sun and the polarizer will have more effect overall on color. There's a line on the front (rotating) element of the polarizer. Have that facing toward the sun (if at an angle in the sky) for maximum effect (is that how it goes? It's so early in the morning I'm not sure I'm thinking straight). The biggest thing is to make sure you aren't either facing the sun or with your back to the sun because it will have little effect for your sky etc. If you are trying to cut down the reflection off of water or other shiny objects other than metal, then the sun's angle won't matter.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:09 AM   #4

thanks a lot.

My problem is that in viewfinder, rotating the filter, i don't see any difference. Maybe I'll get the right "eye" in time....

this weekend i'll experiment then

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 3:20 PM   #5

Make sure you are at right angles to the sun. I noticed that the one circular polarizer I had didn't seem to work half as well as the linear I have, but I've used them in different places. The polarizer effect is more significant in higher altitudes - I only tried the (cheap) circular polarizer I had at lunch near sea level, where the linear I've used mostly at high altitudes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:37 PM   #6

Easiest way to see the difference is to point your lens at the sky with blue sky and somecloud. Rotate your polariser and you will see the change in contrast between the clouds ad the sky, the sky goes darker but the clouds remain white.

Also aim your lens at a car where there is reflection on the windscreen (windshield) and rotate your polariser and you will see the change in reflection off of the windoews and windscreen. It will go from reflective to transparent and you will be able to see inside the car. (try a distane of about 30--40ft and you will see the effect on all the windows ofthe car)

Those are two ways I use my CP, to enhance the sky contrast and to reduce reflections, especially where there is large bodies of water, i.e. the beach.

Hope this helps.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote