Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:46 AM   #1

Well Tall Ships are coming again to visit us here inHalifax Nova Scotiathis summer and as past experience tells me, it is difficult, if not impossible, to get everything in the picture when one gets too close to the subject. this means I'm in the market for a wide angle lens, not a fish eye, for my istDL. Manual focus is fine. Auto Aperature is preferred.

I have the 18mm-55mm kit lens but sometimes 18mm (x 1.5) is still too big. Sigma has a 10-20 zoom that might do but I'd love to hear from someone who has tried onebefore I shell out $500. A good short prime would be asolution too.

"Whatever I end up with, I'll carry over to my next Pentax camera (perhaps a K10 in the next 12 months).

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Marcel
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:15 AM   #2

I had your same problem and i was thinking about the sigma, but then decided it was too expensive for my use.

If you need often a wide-angle, then it has great reviews, and it's much more affordable then the pentax 12-24.

Someone here suggested also to use an additional wide angle lens, reporting the result it's not that bad in the end.

There is an old post of mine about wide-angle, you will find all the answers that were given to me at that time.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:49 AM   #3

Don't want to spend $500 on the Sigma 10-20mm? Then you won't want to spend $700 or $600 on the Pentax 12-24mm lens.

If you don't mind it being manual focus, the Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 lens is a very popular wide angle lens.
This one is about $165 shipped. I think you can find it cheaper if you search.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MC-Zenitar-16-2-...QQcmdZViewItem
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:55 AM   #4

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17658788

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:12 AM   #5

My guess is that if 18 isn't wide enough, 16 won't do it either. If it was, you could probably solve the problem by taking 4-5 steps backwards with the 18. Plus he said he didn't want a fish eye.

While I have not had much luck with the one add-on lens I've tried, I would think that will be your only "cheap" alternative to the expensive Sigma & Pentax wides. Unfortunatly, anything real wide, or real long tends to be real expensive if it's any good. Even with the older manual lenses on ebay.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:24 AM   #6

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
My guess is that if 18 isn't wide enough, 16 won't do it either.¬* If it was, you could probably solve the problem by taking 4-5 steps backwards with the 18.¬* Plus he said he didn't want a fish eye.
Classical move : zoom with your feet. But the 18mm of the kit lens is not up to par . It may be ok optics wise at or above 22mm. Notwithstanding that , a lot of people are happy with the kit lens between the FL of 25-40mm.

Daniel
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:16 PM   #7

i'm facing the same prob $$$
long or short it's the $$$
i want a rectilinear, not a fisheye but both boil down to the almighty $$$
16mm is not what i'd like. that's still just a 24mm with the C factor.
fortunately , i'm more into close focus or tele but there are so many times i'd really like a true 18mm.

enough said,
roy

long or short----- you're going to pay
TJAAJAM or something like that by larry niven
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 6:26 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'm facing the same prob¬* $$$
long or short it's the $$$
i want a rectilinear, not a fisheye but both boil down to the almighty $$$
16mm is not what i'd like. that's still just a 24mm with the C factor.
fortunately , i'm more into close focus or tele but there are so many times i'd really like a true 18mm.

enough said,
roy

$$$$ yes. But choice is simple.
The answer is to go with Fisheye
With crop factor and a simple mouse click, the major barrel or fisheye distortion are gone . I must have taken more than 3,000 fisheye shots in May. When I have time and if needed, I can get rid of majority of distortion while doing some minor processing or cropping.

This option is not available in good old film days though

Daniel, Toronto