Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 14, 2007, 2:58 PM   #11

robar wrote:
Quote:
give me a break!!!!! more $$ than sense

EBAY
But deals are still out there. This one went very recently for BIN $150

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-F-1-7...QQcmdZViewItem

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:42 PM   #12

yeah scott, somebody didn't do thier research
i'll bet that BIN was on ebay for less than a minute.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 5:45 PM   #13

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hayward,

The auction that you pointed to actually is reflecting the real market value of that lens.
Yeah you aren't the first to say so

Not that it means anything (it doesn't) but actually, I probably was the first -- read the time and date of my post
".... guess so just seems awfully pricey first for just an A and also for just a "normalish" 135mm

If it were real wide or long (like 300+) and still fast I could much more see the cost factor.

But with regular 135's (even true Pentax SMC's and stil 2.8 or better) going for maybe a $200 high (usually much less).... is it REALLY 7 or 8X better IQ???? "

The IQ is definitely NOT 7-8x better, but that's not the point. Pentax * lenses have a aura about them that IMO even the very expensive (and good) Canon L and Nikon pro line lenses don't. The Leica guys are more fanatical about their lenses (probably with good reason), but I would be the last to knock them and the prices that they pay for their gear . . . even tho I do think they might be kinda nuts:-).

I don't know if it's true, but it's been said that the M*, A*, F*, and FA* lenses were hand assembled, with hand matched components, by a chosen few of the best of the Pentax lensmakers. Personally, I believe it, but believe it or not, I've yet to hear of a *series lens owner seriously fault the lens. There might be some gripes about the lens design (like min focus distance or maybe some CA or PF, but those are more a matter of the age of the lens or lens design rather than quality), but never a serious questioning of optical or build quality. I don't ever recall seeing or hearing of significant sample variation in * lenses.

There is a prestige among Pentaxians to owning and using * series lenses, especially the rare ones. Even if they don't live up to true "legendary" status from an IQ standpoint (the A*135 you mentioned is probably the best example of this, with rarity driving the market more than quality), they are prized by those who seek them, and the ones willing to pay the price of admission are a very small percentage of Pentax DSLR owners. When I first bought my DS almost 3 years ago, I thought they were all nuts. Now only some are. . .:-)

After owning 3 "star" lenses, all I know is that using them has permanently, and by quite a large margin, raised the bar as to what I want from a lens' performance. I like knowing that the lens I'm using isn't limiting my ability to obtain the image that I want -- and can be satisfied that I alone am the limiting factor. I'm definitely willing to accept less, considering the prices that some of these premium lenses command, but I rarely fault either the buyers or the sellers of these lenses for the prices asked or paid. If I can't justify a price because I know that I won't use the lens extensively, then I just take a pass and wish the new owner well.

I do have to say that IMO, one of the factors driving the market much higher is a large influx of Asian-based Pentax and Samsung owners who are very affluent, and very driven to obtain the finest gear available. This has been happening for a couple of years, and was easier to track before ebay started the "bidder 1, bidder 2" thing. Hopefully this will have the long term effect of pushing Pentax (and Hoya) to offer more and better optics.

At this point in my life, I tend not to criticize those who do things that I consider "crazy" at the time (especially when it comes to camera gear) -- more often than not, it seems that I eventually end up joining the "crazy" ones, and find that I consider myself better off for it. . .

I guess the bottom line is -- don't knock it unless you've tried it. . .:-)

Scott

Old Jun 14, 2007, 5:52 PM   #14

Hi Roy,

The only reason I saw it was that the seller of a Tokina AT-X 300/2.8 SD that I was looking at mentioned it in his description of the lens. I immediately clicked his other auctions and it was already gone, and I noticed the auction pretty soon after it was posted.

I thought I might get the lens cheap, but it ended up going for $805 -- about $300 over what I was hoping for. . .

Scott