Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:49 AM   #1

give me a break!!!!! more $$ than sense

EBAY
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:01 AM   #2
TDN

ok that is just insane...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:05 AM   #3

My thoughts exactly!!

This is a trend that started in earnest last year..

With the arrival of cameras from Pentax that compete more or less evenly against Canon & Nikon there has been an explosion of interest world wide in older Pentax glass.

When you consider what the current cost of the earliest of the Takumar screw-mount M42 lenses is; & then compare the ACTUAL performance of these (by todays standards) poorly coated lenses, a Pentaxian can come to no other conclusion then that these lenses are an incredible BARGAIN!!

The cost/ performance ratio of the Takumar M42 lenses is so very good that the inconvience of full manual use is more than balanced out by the low price of the lens..

Accordingly, if the Takumars are such good bargains, then HOW MUCH are people willing to pay for the best glass in the M, A, F, & FA series of lenses??

In addition to lenses, there is a real need for Pentax/ Third Party choices & availability in quality offerings as regards to extension tubes, teleconverters, etc.

As myself& others have witnessed, on this & other forums, there seems to be nolimit at this time to the amount people are willing to shell out to obtain what they want..

The most popular pieces of glass, especially those A*, F*, & FA* series lenses that are filling gaps that neither Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina are willing to fill at this time are commanding astounding prices..

The same thing happened with Harley-Davidson motorcycles when this current craze for motorcyclesstarted 7-8 years ago..With demand completly outstripping supply people in the USA were paying as much as $10,000 over MSRP to obtain the model of their choice..

We live, work, & compete for products in the capitalist system..Supply & demand will always determine the price of goods..For those people who have the older Pentax glass that suits their needs be GLAD that you purchased it when prices were lower!!

For those of you, like myself, that haven't yet purchased the glass that you need or want (LBA Forever!!) be prepared to pay whatever the going market climate is driving the price to..The only way (as I see it) to buy the most popular old Pentax glassat areasonable cost will be to:

1. Get lucky when no one else bids high in a auction that you are bidding in..

2. Find a lens in a yard sale, in a pawn shop, ect. where the seller is unaware of the current madness over Pentax lens prices..

3. Buy a lens from someone who won't take advantage of you even though they are aware ofcurrent Pentax prices..

4. Wait until the prices come back down..

5. Settle for something less..

6. Don't buy at all..

As I have said several times over the past several weeks I do not feel that this lens buying frenzy will subside any time soon..Until there are alternative lenses from SOMEONE to choose from, this lens idiocy will only continue to worsen..And remember that when bidding on e-Bay that there is a very good chance that you will be bidding against speculators who have no intention of actually using the lens..These people are just buying & selling to earn a living, & make a profit..

As several posters have mentioned there are lenses from Sigma, Tamron, & Tokina that would fill gaps in the Pentax line-up..Unfortunately these lenses are not being manufactured for Pentax DSLR cameras..

Greetings to all, Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:24 PM   #4

Hi Roy,

As much as I like my F1.7x AFAs, that IS nuts. I saw the auction when the bids were up to $5xx.00, and thought that was pretty crazy -- and there a few days to go. . .

IMO, this is a premium TC, add the AF conversion capabilities, and you've got something that is unique and worth a couple hundred $$, but it's very hard to justify more, especially used.

I guess if I hold on to mine for a while longer, then decide to jump ship (unlikely, and the only reason I'd consider selling them!), I could auction them off and finance a whole new system. . .:shock:.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:43 PM   #5

scott, yeah, with one sell!!!! 1.7TC

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:24 AM   #6

holy cr*p! i sure would like to have one of these, but i balked when they were $300+, wish pentax would make these again.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 4:16 AM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
give me a break!!!!! more $$ than sense

EBAY
That's nothing.... how about this one... and still has the better part of a day to go.
OK is a Star but still an A.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:26 AM   #8

Hi Hayward,

The auction that you pointed to actually is reflecting the real market value of that lens.

The A*135/1.8 is a very rarely offered lens, rated very highly, and very sought after -- actually having some significant value as a collector's item, in addition to being a superb lens. The price will undoubtedly go higher, but I doubt that there would be much surprise at that. This lens, like, but even moreso than the A*85/1.8 will always attract very high bids. Other than the very long fast teles, the only lens that probably holds (and deserves) more legendary status is the A*200/2.8 Macro, which, if offered, will usually command over $2000 USD.

The P F 1.7x AFA auction that started this thread sold for about 2-4x its realistic market value IMO, which is disturbing and hopefully an anomaly.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:08 AM   #9

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hayward,

The auction that you pointed to actually is reflecting the real market value of that lens.

The A*135/1.8 is a very rarely offered lens, rated very highly, and very sought after -- actually having some significant value as a collector's item, in addition to being a superb lens. The price will undoubtedly go higher, but I doubt that there would be much surprise at that. This lens, like, but even moreso than the A*85/1.8 will always attract very high bids. Other than the very long fast teles, the only lens that probably holds (and deserves) more legendary status is the A*200/2.8 Macro, which, if offered, will usually command over $2000 USD.

The P F 1.7x AFA auction that started this thread sold for about 2-4x its realistic market value IMO, which is disturbing and hopefully an anomaly.

Scott
You'd think Pentax would be paying attention and pffer a remake of some of these old lens designs with a modern twist. Sure in a fast moving scene I prefer auto focus but for stationary subjects I actually prefer the manual focus over Auto focus...I'm sure there is a burgeoning market for less expensive manual focus lens...Just look at EBAY!!!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:17 AM   #10

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hayward,

Yeah you aren't the first to say so.... guess so just seems awfully pricey first for just an A and also for just a "normalish" 135mm

If it were real wide or long (like 300+) and still fast I could much more see the cost factor.

But with regular 135's (even true Pentax SMC's and stil 2.8 or better) going for maybe a $200 high (usually much less).... is it REALLY 7 or 8X better IQ????
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote