Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:22 AM   #1

I'm quite convinced to get the tamron 28-75 f 2.8 for the k100D, and go the cheap way for a macro lens with a cosina 100mm f 3.5, or whatever brand i find it;

I'm wondering if having the 28-75 is worth keeping the pentax fa 50mm f 1.4, or is better to sell it since it's focal lenght is included in the tamron, and the zoom is considered anyway very sharp.

Is the 1.4 aperture worth keeping the lens, or with 2.8 i can be happy enough?

Thanks
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:07 AM   #2

Greetings Lando

Keep it!!

There are times when you will want those extra 3 F-stops.

It will do things the zoom lens can't do.

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:10 AM   #3

although being a nikon shooter ( using mainly D50 and a 50mm 1.4D ) I would keep the 50mm. Although the 28-75mm is a great lens it doesn't offer the same as the 50mm will do in low light. I love the opportunities in the extra f-stops you get.

k100D = iso3200 + AS + 50mm 1.4D

What a killer combo for every kind of lowlight shooting.
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:00 PM   #4

Hi Lando,

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who rarely sells lenses -- and buys them relatively frequently.

I'd keep the 50 1.4. It'll do things that the Tamron can't, like allow you to get ultra narrow DOF, and use the 2 stop advantage for a lower ISO setting when the light gets dim. I have both, and each has qualities that make them all time keepers, IMO.

An alternative, if a case of insufficient funds and rampant LBA exists, is to look for deal on an M or A 50/1.4 or 1.7, sell the FA 50, and put the difference towards something else -- though the FA is such a great deal with the rebate that this strategy might not get you too far.

Ultimately, it probably comes down to how much you use the FA 50. If the sale would get you another lens that you'd get more use out of, then it might be worth it. . . a tough call -- a very tough call, I'd say.

My $.02

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 6:54 AM   #5
TDN

In my opinion, a 50mm prime is something every photographer should have in his bag.
(Regardless of brand, auto or manual)

Although it's only one focal length, it's very versatile, always good quality (in almost every brand) and extremely compact.

Shooting with it also teaches you how to accomplish more with less means.

So, I would keep it...

But if you're absolutely sure about selling it, I'd at least advise you to get a manual 50mm instead (M or A). You'll miss the 50mm once it's gone...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:33 AM   #6

Hi,

I have never missed having a 50mm lens after getting a Pentax 28-70mm f4.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:22 AM   #7

Keep the 50 f/1.4. The Tamron 28-75 is a great lens, but it's not a f/1.4. Only lens I have used that got me thinking about selling my FA 50 f/1.4 was the FA 43 Limited f/1.9 and even then I still have my 50.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:17 AM   #8

Lando wrote:
Quote:
I'm wondering if having the 28-75 is worth keeping the pentax fa 50mm f 1.4, or is better to sell it since it's focal lenght is included in the tamron, and the zoom is considered anyway very sharp.

Is the 1.4 aperture worth keeping the lens, or with 2.8 i can be happy enough?

Thanks
KEEP IT!!!!!

For its applications the 50mm f/1.4 is at its Prime EXPOSURE POINT AT 2.8 the zoom is STRAINING to do.

I have a 28-80 FA..... and would never get rid of my prime A-50mm f/1.4 OR my f/2.8 A 28mm .

Zooms have gotten much better in recent years, but dedicated primes still beat out most all of them.

(However should you want to sell that FA 50mm let me know )

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 7:20 AM   #9

I will try the tamron this summer, getting it in B&H I should be able to return it if I don't like it.

If I see that the tamron at 50mm 2.8 is equal to the pentax same aperture, I will let u know to sell the prime
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:21 AM   #10

Welll that is still a full 2 f/stops slower if low light is of any concern/use.

And Primes are generally better than even modern zooms overall anyways.

You want to compare apples to apples... that 1.4 at 2.8 is going to be in it 's "prime exposure" range.... the 2.8 zoom will be struggling to do best it can, and zoom compromises on top of that... though that is usually a problem most at the long end.

AGAIN THEY CAN AFFORD IT.... keep that 1.4 prime.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote