Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 26, 2007, 4:32 PM   #11

Just curious as to the min focusing distance at 300mm of this lens. I am looking for something that focuses a bit closer at 300mm than my Sigma 100-300 (min focus 2m)
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 5:12 PM   #12

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Just curious as to the min focusing distance at 300mm of this lens. I am looking for something that focuses a bit closer at 300mm than my Sigma 100-300 (min focus 2m)

Minimum Focus Distance 4.3' (1.3m)
Magnification 1:3

I recall at extreme 300mm it was on a sliding scale of around 2M. With that high mag factor as I said in another thread, it is really not bad at all

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 7:52 AM   #13

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:

I recall at extreme 300mm it was on a sliding scale of around 2M. With that high mag factor as I said in another thread, it is really not bad at all

Daniel
Which is about the same as the kit 18-55, a lens many people adore for close up work. Not bad for a 300mm. Some lenses call themselves 'macro' with those specs.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:14 AM   #14

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:

Daniel
Which is about the same as the kit 18-55, a lens many people adore for close up work. Not bad for a 300mm. Some lenses call themselves 'macro' with those specs.
I assume the kit lens has the same magnification factor of 0.3. But it only has 1/5 of the max focal length of the FAJ 75-300mm. That is days and night. Both Tamron and Sigma refers lens of such magnification factor as macro

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:34 AM   #15

ishino wrote:
Quote:
Just bought this lens on a whim, price was right so why not. LBA strikes again. This time it is a Pentax FA J 75-300.

I have to admit, for an inexpensive lens I find it produces rather sharp images with good color rendition and a pleasant bokeh. Here is just a quick sample shot I took. 300mm wide open at f/5.8. Kinda hard to come up with something interesting at midnight after working all day. Since I'm charging batteries for tomorrow, I figured why not. I'll be taking it to the air show this weekend and will be doing comparisons with my Tamron 70-300.

Taken with an istDL. Will be using it on my K10D this weekend.
Looks like a nice one Ishino. I too have a Tammy 70-300 and would like to see these compared side by side!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote