Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:15 AM   #1

Just bought this lens on a whim, price was right so why not. LBA strikes again. This time it is a Pentax FA J 75-300.

I have to admit, for an inexpensive lens I find it produces rather sharp images with good color rendition and a pleasant bokeh. Here is just a quick sample shot I took. 300mm wide open at f/5.8. Kinda hard to come up with something interesting at midnight after working all day. Since I'm charging batteries for tomorrow, I figured why not. I'll be taking it to the air show this weekend and will be doing comparisons with my Tamron 70-300.

Taken with an istDL. Will be using it on my K10D this weekend.
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 4:24 AM   #2

Just out of curiousity if you have the Tamron 70-300mm what was the big atration in the J?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:38 AM   #3

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Just out of curiousity if you have the Tamron 70-300mm what was the big atration in the J?
I was looking for a Bigma to replace my Tamron 70-300 to give me a longer reach but I came across this used lens in like new condition for $50. It also included a 58mm circular polarizer and UV filter. The price was the main attraction since I knew I could easily resell it on eBay for a decent profit.

Really I wasn't expecting much from this lens, but the curiosity of a Pentax lens intrigued me, so I went ahead and bought it.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:09 AM   #4

Completely understand you on that one.....

I was AMAZED by the even low light wide open quality on my PHOENIX AF 100-400mm (most pooh pooh thnikng only of their cheapo 600m fixed FL and f/stop manual only lenses often bundled with a cheapo 2x TC for 1200mm)

But they are like Vivitar and many others... a rebadge marketer of many lens makes... some crap some quite good. IMHO the P AF 100-400mm being pleasantly surprisingly one of the later... expected and paid very little used on EBAY and shocked at what it does.

My Sigma 70-300mm could do the same but with a TC so SR was a problem with even just an an unreported 1.4x TC factor.... the Phoenix accuratly reports FL and compensated for, making up for any maybe optical on tripod descernable difference, while still hand held.

And now the Tam 28-200mm giving VERY good 100mm lens overlap.... will likely be selling BOTH my SIgma 70-300mm and Sigma 28-70mm lenses... both just collecting dust for some time now.

Plus kit lens if I really need to get down to 18mm (where it has acceptable speed) and very small compact light weight A 28 and 50mm 2.8 and 1.4 primes for the low light world.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:02 PM   #5

i'll be waiting for those air show pics!
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:52 AM   #6

I bought this same lens a while ago to replace a Sigma 70-210 that I just wasn't happy with. (Not long enough, and seemed to hunt for focus more that I thought it should.) Anyway, I've been very happy with it FA J 70-300 on my K100D. I got mine new at B&H, but I think it was worth the $125 I paid. No regrets.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:46 PM   #7

How does the J75-300 compare to the DA50-200 quality wise? I'm just waiting for BH to open back up to finally place my K100D order but am dancing around which lenses to get. The 'J' seems like the easy pic, but it's so inexpensive. I looked at the price tag and just assumed it'd be as soft as my cheap old sigma 75-300 was on my Nikons (film), giving up a stop or two doesn't worry me as much as sacrificing image quality.

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 6:29 PM   #8

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
I bought this same lens a while ago to replace a Sigma 70-210 that¬* I just wasn't happy with.¬* (Not long enough, and seemed to hunt for focus more that I thought it should.)¬*¬* Anyway, I've been very happy with it FA J 70-300 on my K100D.¬* I got mine new at B&H, but I think it was worth the $125 I paid.¬* No regrets.
I had that zoom before. It was fine until above 200mm when you would need to step down to F8 to avoid the softness. It has a great plus though hardly people know about it: it has a magnification factor or 0.3. That is why the first pict is quite decent. When you consider a full blown macro lens of FA100mmF54 macro has a factor of 0.5 only, you can see that the lens design is quite good indeed. You can almost mistake it as a macro lens particularly given it long reach of 300mm.
How does it compare with 50-200mm? In terms of sharpness it is barely inferior. But again, it has the extra 100mm which is a big plus for so much less money. If you have a kit lens and you need the extra reach (occasionally) this is a very good choice.
Later on I went all prime lens (16-28-50-100-135-300mm) and sold this zoom

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 6:43 PM   #9

Thanks for the quick reply, Daniel. In a perfect world I'd just be buying a prime or two with the K100d (well, in a perfectly perfect one I'd be getting the 10d, but a budget is a budget). I'm getting back into photography after a many moon hiatus, and when I had left my zooms were all replaced by primes, too. I think I had that Nikkor 200 micro a full week before I sold it away (sniff)

In all honesty I've never had the equivalent of a 450mm lens before, but the 300 used to always just be a tad too short, even the 380mm end of my little oly c2100 leaves me yearning for more from time to time. To make up the 55 to 75 range I'll just have to incorporate some footwork
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:20 PM   #10

Just using this topic since I'm at work and can't post any photos I've taken with the lens for testing yet.

Thus far the lens is impressive in areas I thought it wouldn't be too impressive in. The long end. At 75mm my particular lens is a bit soft, the images I took for the test were an assortment of kid's game boxes and a DVD cover. At 75mm at all aperatures the images were pretty soft, text semi-ledgible(considering magnification)and the texture of the blanket I tossed in the front of the image ok.

At 200 and even at 300 mm the images were much sharper (even under f/8, although moreso at or over). chromatic abberation at 300mm was a bit more proficient, but nothing that can't be compensated for. The tests I took were at night with a single electric lamp for lighting, so the exposures were between a 1/4 second and 6, taken on a tripod with the 2 sec delay to try and avoid shake. Before I post anything I'll get some daylight exposures to avoid any camera shake that may skew the performance.