Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1

anyone know if this would be a great lens for a Pentax istDL ?
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 5:00 PM   #2

if you like to do macro it's considered one of the best lenses, for sure the most convenient quality-price.

It's also a good portrait lens, someone says even too sharp.

If I had the money I would get it.

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:30 PM   #3

Have it and love it. I use it mostly for newborn portraits getting closeups on the small baby body parts. Works awesome for what I use it for.

Here is a sample out of the camera of what I use it for, just resized down. No other PP.
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:38 PM   #4

Here is a 100% crop of the little guy's big toe. Enough detail to even see the prints off the toe. Again, no PP.
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 1:55 PM   #5

Hi Bowenp,

When I was looking for a dedicated macro, it was a tossup between the Tamron 90, the Sigma 105 and the Pentax D FA 100. IMO, IQ-wise, I don't think there's much difference, and then it would just be splitting hairs. I chose the Pentax, mostly for its light weight, SMC coatings, potential resale value, and the rebate.

You pretty much can't go wrong with the Tamron, or for that matter, any of the dedicated macros out there. Just check that it has the features and specs that you want and meets your requirements for weight, build quality, features, and ergonomics.

If finances are a significant concern, you might want to consider a used manual focus. The AF performance on dedicated macros is usually not up to a non-macro prime of the same focal length (a lot of hunting because of the very wide focusing range) so they are less useable as and AF tele, though the optics are as good if not better. For macro shots, most tend to use MF anyway. But all the MF macros are heavy. . . add an external flash on a bracket and it's a challenge trying to shoot handheld with paper thin DOF. I would consider only A series MF lenses though, as shooting stopped down would be difficult as the VF would be very dark when stopped down significantly for better DOF.

Probably not much help in your decision, but that's my $.02!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:36 AM   #6

great feedback. Thanks
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:55 PM   #7

When I bought my Pentax DS when it came out I boughtTamron then and loved. I have since moved on to lots (LOTS) of different cameras. I have finally come back to using a Pentax system and the 90mm Di was the first lens I bought for my K10D. Close-up/macro is what I enjoy more than anything and the Tamron really performs well especially right from being wide open.

You certainly can't go wrong with that lens at all, best of luck in your decision.

Captured this the second day out with my K10 and 90mm...

1/2000th @ f2.8 -ISO200

Have a look at my work: http://neilvan.zenfolio.com
neilvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:57 PM   #8

When I bought my Pentax DS when it came out I boughtTamron then and loved. I have since moved on to lots (LOTS) of different cameras. I have finally come back to using a Pentax system and the 90mm Di was the first lens I bought for my K10D. Close-up/macro is what I enjoy more than anything and the Tamron really performs well especially right from being wide open.

You certainly can't go wrong with that lens at all, best of luck in your decision.

1/2000th @ f2.8 -ISO200

Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:58 PM   #9

1/2000th @ f2.8 -ISO200