Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:21 PM   #1

I am considering this lens, it rates quite highly with Popular Photography and Imaging magazine. Anyone have any experience with it?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:16 AM   #2

Hi Ira,

I don't have one, but will probably get one in the near future for my wide angle needs. It also tested well on Photozone with good sharpness, easily corrected distortion at the wide end, and low CA in the Pentax version. Photodo came to about the same conclusion, and I can't remember reading anything even close to bad on a number of fora. I'm thinking that the DA* 16-50/2.8 isn't going to perform much better (from early reports and the Tokina version), if at all, and the cost will be a bit prohibitive, especially since I don't shoot that much wide. I'm thinking that it will meet my needs well and not be an outrageous drain on the bank account.

The Sigma 17-70, Tamron 17-50/2.8, and the DA 16-45/4 seem to be the picks of the litter in this general range, IMO, unless you want to go wider.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 6:33 PM   #3

Thanks Scott

I am looking for a decent macro zoom that is faster than the kit lens and this Sigma seems to be ideal.

Ira
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:19 AM   #4

My kit contains the following;

Sigma DC 17-70mm
Sigma 170-500mm
Pentax DA 50-200mm
Pentax DA 21mm limited
Pentax DA 40mm limited
Pentax DA 70mm limited

If I had to choose one of those lens that I couldn't live without, it would be without doubt the Sigma 17-70. The macro is only 1:2, but you can literally have your subject touching the lens, and still get razor sharp focus.

Here's an ordinarly test pic with zero processing, except resize for web.

EDIT!!! -> To avoid confusion, the pic was taken with the Sigma 17-70. I just used the DA40mm limited because it has lots of detail in it.
Attached Images

Attaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:24 AM   #5

And a 100% crop, with zero USM.
Attached Images

Attaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 11:29 PM   #6

Those are impressive pictures - you've just given me a case of lens envy! I wasn't even considering something like this (want just a bit wider angle and don't care about the macro, since I'm happy with my macro lens). But I'm a sucker for sharp, sharp lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:59 AM   #7

Thanks Attaboy, this is just the sort of thing I wanted to see. I am very happy with the results from my 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 Sigma and I can clearly see that the 17-70mm may be even better.

Thanks

Ira
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:49 PM   #8

Will, hogrider,has told methis lens seldomly leaves his cam.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:39 AM   #9

you collection looks too much but cool.!!!
simply best 简单生活 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:02 PM   #10

Hi All,

Well. . . after much deliberation, I just pulled the trigger on the Sigma 17-70 -- saw it on ebay from a dealer with VG feedback for BIN $339, and couldn't pass it up.

I had previously checked with my local dealer, and his cost with shipping would have been more. . . at least according to the price sheet -- but it was the best price I've seen by @ $50, so. . . I should get it in about a week, so I'll be able to see what it brings to the table. . .

Hopefully it will answer most of my needs for a reasonably fast wide to medium portrait zoom -- at least that's the plan. I've grown dissatisfied with the sharpness and speed of the kit, and sometimes 28mm just isn't wide enough. . .

I'll post my impressions when I receive it.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote