Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fred,

No, they are not all the same. if yours looks like the pentax version then you can get infinity focus. If it is the one that covers the contacts for the lens, then you will not get infinity focus.

Rudy
The K10D book has a discussion of the two types Rudy mentions - the Pentax adapter fits flush withthe lens mount, and the other has a flange that adds thickness. I don't know about any other types, but the added thickness of the flange in the book's illustrationis like a very short extension tube, which could affect infinity focus, especially with telephotos which have shallower DOF. I have the Pentax adapter and the only drawback is a functional one - there ia a spring catch that locks it in place, and it can be hard on the fingernails to get it out - don't use a pencil point or you will get graphite particles inside the camera, a problemfor the digital sensor.l



If Dawg's adapter has an externalflange and the 200 is the longestscrew mount lens he has, this could behis problem.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

penolta wrote:
Quote:
bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fred,

No, they are not all the same. if yours looks like the pentax version then you can get infinity focus. If it is the one that covers the contacts for the lens, then you will not get infinity focus.

Rudy
The K10D book has a discussion of the two types Rudy mentions - the Pentax adapter fits flush withthe lens mount, and the other has a flange that adds thickness. I don't know about any other types, but the added thickness of the flange in the book's illustrationis like a very short extension tube, which could affect infinity focus, especially with telephotos which have shallower DOF. I have the Pentax adapter and the only drawback is a functional one - there ia a spring catch that locks it in place, and it can be hard on the fingernails to get it out - don't use a pencil point or you will get graphite particles inside the camera, a problemfor the digital sensor.l



If Dawg's adapter has an externalflange and the 200 is the longestscrew mount lens he has, this could behis problem.
I have a 350mm and a 400mm screw mount lenses as well and they go to infinity. The Kalt adapter is very, very thin and fits tight to the bottom of the lens. The Kalt adapter has a Key used to remove it. It depresses the spring and allows easy removal...I went on and pulled the spring catch in the reverse direction till it popped off. Now I mount it directly to the lens with a single drop of Red Loctite so I have K mounts lenses instead of screw mount lenses.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:39 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

The listings for boththe Kalt and General Brand adapters at B&H use the same photograph which looks to be identical to the Pentax OEM adapterthat fits into the lens mount with no overlapping flange. They didn't mention a key, but that sounds like a winner - Pentax never provided one.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,868
Default

penolta wrote:
Quote:
The listings for boththe Kalt and General Brand adapters at B&H use the same photograph which looks to be identical to the Pentax OEM adapterthat fits into the lens mount with no overlapping flange. They didn't mention a key, but that sounds like a winner - Pentax never provided one.
I beg to differ. I have a Pentax adapter - paid £5 (well got it free in a lens deal) at a local camera shop. Only one he had left. It came with a key and uiser instructions about using the key for insertion and removal.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 400
Default

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Now I mount it directly to the lens with a single drop of Red Loctite so I have K mounts lenses instead of screw mount lenses.

Dawg
I do that too though I have only genuine Pentax adapters. Does the Kalt adapter have a notch to engage the camera's locking pin? If so then they would be actually BETTER THAN PENTAX! With a Pentax adapter permanently mounted to the lens I have to cut a notch in the lens body for the locking pin, I learned how important that would be when my Takumar 300mm F1:4fell off the camera! Fortunately it landed in a box of cabbages and no harm was done!


John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:04 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
penolta wrote:
Quote:
The listings for boththe Kalt and General Brand adapters at B&H use the same photograph which looks to be identical to the Pentax OEM adapterthat fits into the lens mount with no overlapping flange. They didn't mention a key, but that sounds like a winner - Pentax never provided one.
I beg to differ. I have a Pentax adapter - paid £5 (well got it free in a lens deal) at a local camera shop. Only one he had left. It came with a key and uiser instructions about using the key for insertion and removal.

Darren
It must have been a later addition (or non US?). I have three in original boxes, and none came with it. Somewhere I read (either in a Pentax book or original instructions) that you were to use a fingernail.* I am tempted to buy a Kalt adapter just to get one.

*It is in the K series camera owner's manuals - users are instructed to "use a fingernail or a sharp-pointed object like a ball-point pen."


penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:34 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
robar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: D/FW area Texas
Posts: 7,590
Default

i have a kalt. it works fine!!!! but fits the body flange tighter than the pentax model. the kalt works just fine. get some sandpaper and modify it for easier fit.

dawg, the lens you said that has the problem is also a lens that has other probs. could it be related???? also, could some of your ''glue'' gotten between the adapter and the lens????
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:38 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

robar wrote:
Quote:
i have a kalt. it works fine!!!! but fits the body flange tighter than the pentax model. the kalt works just fine. get some sandpaper and modify it for easier fit.

dawg, the lens you said that has the problem is also a lens that has other probs. could it be related???? also, could some of your ''glue'' gotten between the adapter and the lens????
I never used Loctite on it Roy. It is not a problem caused by any of it's other problems, or by my repair work as I tried it before doing the repair and it wouldn't focus to infinity then. I also tried three other Kalt adapters on it to see if it was a fault with the particular adapter. Looking at the lens when mounted to the camera the engravings for the F/stop and focus do not go to the center as it does with most of the other lens I have. My adapter doesn't lock on the camera but is so tight a fit it is sometimes difficult to remove. I can't see a lens falling out with it. The spring catch is there to prevent it from coming loose but it was such a hassel to get off and on for my big hands I just hooked a finger nail under it and peeled it off. Now they go on as quickly as any K-mount would.



Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:06 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 400
Default

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
My adapter doesn't lock on the camera but is so tight a fit it is sometimes difficult to remove. I can't see a lens falling out with it.
I didnt think so either until I saw my beautiful (to me anyway!) lens among the cabbages!.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:15 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 188
Default

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
penolta wrote:
Quote:
bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fred,

No, they are not all the same. if yours looks like the pentax version then you can get infinity focus. If it is the one that covers the contacts for the lens, then you will not get infinity focus.

Rudy
The K10D book has a discussion of the two types Rudy mentions - the Pentax adapter fits flush withthe lens mount, and the other has a flange that adds thickness. I don't know about any other types, but the added thickness of the flange in the book's illustrationis like a very short extension tube, which could affect infinity focus, especially with telephotos which have shallower DOF. I have the Pentax adapter and the only drawback is a functional one - there ia a spring catch that locks it in place, and it can be hard on the fingernails to get it out - don't use a pencil point or you will get graphite particles inside the camera, a problemfor the digital sensor.l



If Dawg's adapter has an externalflange and the 200 is the longestscrew mount lens he has, this could behis problem.
I have a 350mm and a 400mm screw mount lenses as well and they go to infinity. The Kalt adapter is very, very thin and fits tight to the bottom of the lens. The Kalt adapter has a Key used to remove it. It depresses the spring and allows easy removal...I went on and pulled the spring catch in the reverse direction till it popped off. Now I mount it directly to the lens with a single drop of Red Loctite so I have K mounts lenses instead of screw mount lenses.

Dawg


Hey Dawg

Are you saying that you purchased adapters for all your M42 lenses??..And permanently mounted the adapters to the lenses with red LocTite??

Also, the Bower adapter that I won on e-Bay from the Camera Hunter came with the spanner to remove it..The two items were in a sealed package..The adapter sits absolutely flush with the lens openingin the camera's body..

If you click on the store page below the adapter is right on the opening page..My adapter looks exactly like the images on the page except that Bower isnot engravedon the one in the image..

I believe I paid a little more than most at $21.95 plus $5.00 (shipping, handling, & insurance)

http://www.thecamerahunter.com website

http://www.auctionworks.com/awstore/camerahunter store

Bruce












baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:54 PM.