Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:40 PM   #21

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
penolta wrote:
Quote:
bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fred,

No, they are not all the same. if yours looks like the pentax version then you can get infinity focus. If it is the one that covers the contacts for the lens, then you will not get infinity focus.

Rudy
The K10D book has a discussion of the two types Rudy mentions - the Pentax adapter fits flush withthe lens mount, and the other has a flange that adds thickness. I don't know about any other types, but the added thickness of the flange in the book's illustrationis like a very short extension tube, which could affect infinity focus, especially with telephotos which have shallower DOF. I have the Pentax adapter and the only drawback is a functional one - there ia a spring catch that locks it in place, and it can be hard on the fingernails to get it out - don't use a pencil point or you will get graphite particles inside the camera, a problemfor the digital sensor.l

If Dawg's adapter has an externalflange and the 200 is the longestscrew mount lens he has, this could behis problem.
I have a 350mm and a 400mm screw mount lenses as well and they go to infinity. The Kalt adapter is very, very thin and fits tight to the bottom of the lens. The Kalt adapter has a Key used to remove it. It depresses the spring and allows easy removal...I went on and pulled the spring catch in the reverse direction till it popped off. Now I mount it directly to the lens with a single drop of Red Loctite so I have K mounts lenses instead of screw mount lenses.

Dawg

Hey Dawg

Are you saying that you purchased adapters for all your M42 lenses??..And permanently mounted the adapters to the lenses with red LocTite??

Also, the Bower adapter that I won on e-Bay from the Camera Hunter came with the spanner to remove it..The two items were in a sealed package..The adapter sits absolutely flush with the lens openingin the camera's body..

If you click on the store page below the adapter is right on the opening page..My adapter looks exactly like the images on the page except that Bower isnot engravedon the one in the image..

I believe I paid a little more than most at $21.95 plus $5.00 (shipping, handling, & insurance)

http://www.thecamerahunter.com website

http://www.auctionworks.com/awstore/camerahunter store

Bruce

Not all of them just three right now and I plan to do this with all screwmount lenses I keep and use. I have 2 other adapters that I change between the other lenses. I still have a few more Super Takumars I'm looking forward to buying and a possibility of a few early Tamrons and Vivitars. Thanks for the URL's as I may try one to see if it is better. The Kalts are $14.95 plus shipping.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 3:37 PM   #22

Just ordered the Kalts from B&H. Still waiting the arrival of the lens.

Thanks again everyone for all the info.

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 9:46 AM   #23

Fred2726 wrote:
Quote:
Just ordered the Kalts from B&H. Still waiting the arrival of the lens.

Thanks again everyone for all the info.

Fred
I hope you have a great time with the old lenses...I do! Remember each lens has it's own personality and favorite settings it works best with. Enjoy.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:51 AM   #24

all the screw mounts i've used do not line up the aperture at the top position but more like at the 10 oclock position when looking at the front of the lens.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:00 PM   #25
TDN

enjoy your M42 lenses fred! You've opened up a whole new world, they don't call it the "universal" screw mount without a reason

It's too late now, but I can testify the metal adapters from an ebay seller called "roxen" work flawlessly aswell. Just get the one without the flange covering the mount.

Tom

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:11 PM   #26

I have a couple of the cheapo's that pop on Ebay now and then, they fit absolutely flush. Price and shipping varied but both came to a $11 total ea.

Unfortunately never got the M42 lens I though I was so can't swear to the infinity focus, but just speaking to the flush fitting issue brought up here, they do so I'd guess many of the Hong Kong generics do too.

And though from two different sellers, and slightly differently white package labeled, look identical.... though neither included a wrench.. (nor image or desc claimed to.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:32 AM   #27

Thanks guys ! Very helpful thread.

Question: does the Kalt adapter not lock onto the body ?

Does the genuine Pentax lock onto the body ? Any other aftermarket brands that do ?

The Pentax adapter will cost me close to $40.00 delivered. Want to avoid that expense if I can get one cheaper without compromising features.

Thanks //

umenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:33 PM   #28

Hi, no the Pentax adapter does not lock onto the body, it is designed that a spring clip secures the adapter to the body and the lens is screwed in to the mount.

However, what has been discussed is the convenience of removing the spring clip and fixing the adapter (semi-)permanently to the lens. This allows the lens to be mounted with the same convenience as any K mount lens but has the disadvantage that the lens may fall from the camera if the adapter should accidently turn in the camera (since the clip has been removed).

I have used Pentax adapters on a few lenses (two or three, I dont exactly recall) with the clip removed. My lens did fall off once but fortunately without damage and since then I have carefully drilled a small hole in the lens body to accept the camera's locking pin. This is an easy modification for someone with steady hands (actually, I had to steady my nerves with a suitable spirit before attacking my favourite lens), and does not hamper the use of the lens if reverted back to the original screw mount.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:13 AM   #29

Or again you could just but the cheapo ones (a LOT less money) that don't have the (again what reason?) spring clip and just lock on/off like any other K lens and easily removed. Does NOT is ANY way come off if you don't hit the release button (or just didn't full lock it on).
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:26 PM   #30

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Or again you could just but the cheapo ones (a LOT less money) that don't have the (again what reason?) spring clip and just lock on/off like any other K lens and easily removed. Does NOT is ANY way come off if you don't hit the release button (or just didn't full lock it on).
another misinformation post because of your lack of experience. hayward, you DA, you just stated
Unfortunately never got the M42 lens I though I was so can't swear to the infinity focus,
the clip is what keeps the mount locked on the cam. if it's not there a sudden twist to the cam it can dislodge the mount and the lens will fall off. i think it might be called ''inertia''.. people would have a lot more respect for you here if you would stop the BS posts about what you don't know about.. sheesh, what a DA........
robar is offline   Reply With Quote