Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1

I bought the Pentax K100D plus the Sigma 70-300mm DG 'APO' and the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC last Christmas, now I want to add another lens to my collection.

I am interested in photographing birds, flowers, animals, bugs and people.

So I think maybe a macro/portrait lens such as the Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di would suit.
It is at the top of my budget at around $AU 650

I know the Phoenix 100mm 3.5 lenses have been recommended but I can't find any here in Australia, we seem only to be able to buy Pentax, Sigma and Tamron.

Any opinions or other ideas would be appreciated.

I Love My K100D,
Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:29 PM   #2

The Tamron is a better, faster lens than the Phoenix, as well as being more expensive. The Phoenix has much better optics than it's price would lead you to believe, but with your budget, the Tamron would be a better choice (and faster, too).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:35 AM   #3
TDN

Does it have to be a new AF lens?

If not, look around for a 2nd hand macro prime, those are always fun

They're great for portrait too, and usually give nice colors and contrasty images, together with a nice bokeh.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 4:21 PM   #4

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Does it have to be a new AF lens?

If not, look around for a 2nd hand macro prime, those are always fun

They're great for portrait too, and usually give nice colors and contrasty images, together with a nice bokeh.

Tom
I agree with Tom, a nice macro lens has many purposes. And tons of fun!

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
All taken with this lens.... Pentax-FA 50mm f1.4

Birds
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images...ted_314025.jpg

Flowers
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images...ted_356855.jpg

Animals
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images...ted_303152.jpg

People
http://images.dpchallenge.com/images...ted_308928.jpg

For Bugs you need a reversing ring which will cosit around $20 and you'll get 1:1 true macros.

bazz.
This was suggested at a camera forum here in Australia http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=761165
I must say the shots look good.

Has anyone had experience with he the Pentax-FA 50mm f1.4, how would it compare to the Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di ? Would the Pentax suit my needs (I am interested in photographing birds, flowers, animals, bugs and people.) ?

Ah, so many lens, so many choices, so little money.

Thanks for your advice,
Rodney.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:11 PM   #6

If the focal length fits your needs, you can't go wrong with a good Pentax 50mm. Sharp and fast.

If you need something a little longer, look at the 100mm (although I think you have to buy that used).
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 5:05 AM   #7

You seem to have RANGE well covered even nice overlap so you don't HAVE to switch.... unless you want over 300mm, I'd say look into some use primes.

If you can handle Man Focus, you might want to consider a used Pentax-A SMC 50mm

Sill all the AE (Auto exposure) functionality just MF. (And most of the Petax digitals still... I know the K's... even with MF give you AF COMFIRMATION.... and has been recently discussed "focus trapping" exposure moment is not critical.... in AF mode you just hold down the shutter.... and SLOWLY turn the focus, and when the AF system see focus, it will trip the shutter.

I have had the 2, 1.7, and 1.4 AND ALL ARE pretty WONDERFUL... and even the 1.4 was just a bit over $110 (1.7 was around $70 I think)

The F/2 can be had quite cheap (usually under $50US though they are creeping up...got mine around $25 I think) as for quite some period of time that was actually the "kit lens" for Pentax in both A and then M befor that. (the 1.7, 1.4 and very rare 1.2 being pricey options.

And I'd say the 50mm A f/1.7 is probably best bargain. Does much betterin the f/2-4 range, where as the 1.4 unless at infinity (which for it is quite close... ~20ft) or the very narrow close DOF is useful wide open it is of limited use.... though then agian at 1.7 and F/2 it looks significantly better than the 1.7... pretty much all lenses look their best a stop or two up from wide open (and not way stopped down either).

And again where a fast/short lens shines..... you can have pretty much infinety DOF without resorting to F/22+... f/8 would likely do it for any thing closest not within a few ft.

With MF youcan always focus just a bit beyond and the stop down set for exposure will sharpen it... What that optical DOF preview is there to asses. On the K10D it also kicks on the AE which with a full M(an) lens there to quickly set/metered shutter for the apperture you set and it can't control as well.

Not sure exactly how that works on the K100D.... and its to late/early.... to figue out.... but you do have the DOF preview (pushing beyond power on) ..... and I though the 10D manual was lacking.... had to really dig to just find that.... gues they do mean the 100Dto be a basic camera. Manual only about 40 pages shorter... but there sure seems to be a whole lot less prganized harder to find info :shock:
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:30 PM   #8

why pay that much. get a vivitar 105mm f2.5

this guy has 5 available. make him an offer of $200shipped and see what happens.

HERE
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:15 AM   #9

Not sure I should have looked at your link - the guy is local to me, I could drop by and pick it up after work some time and save myself the shipping! My budget is already shot for this year - no fair, Roy!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Bugs you need (with the Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 Lens) a reversing ring which will cost around $20 and you'll get 1:1 true macros.
Is this true, will I get good macro shots ?
What is a reversing ring ?

Quote:
Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 Lens AU$349.00/quote] from http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/p...X-FA-50MM-F1.4
Looks like a good deal and a excellent lens if the macro is true and I can get a reversing ring.