Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 31, 2007, 1:51 AM   #31

robar wrote:
Quote:
inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Actually the one I bought came with the matched2x as well as a Focal (K-Mart Brand) 2x Converter. The results were about the same... I was actually impressed at the IQ of the Focal so I converted the other to an extension tube (it was bigger, gave more extension).
how'd get the glass out. i remember telling Harriet how to do this, a couple of years ago, but never mentioned how to get the glass out. hehe. it took a few posts before she asked. small hammer works wonders!!!

roy
i'VE THOUGHT OF DOING THAT TO A COUPLE OF MINE BUT CAN'T QUITE SWING IT...iF YA' KNOW WUT i MEAN.

dAWG

dANG cAP LOCK aaah TO BLAZESH WITH HIT!!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 1:26 PM   #32

yeah i know dawg. i had an old albinar POS and i tried eveything, including vise grips to get the glass out, the small tack hammer worked. i'd like to get the lens holders out because they vignette with some setups. it's kind of a moot point since i have a good set of tubes now. actually i have 2 sets. anybody interested??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:41 PM   #33

I used a small hammer and covered the end of a nutdriver with a towel for this one. For the Tamron I did a while back I was able to unscrew it and take all the glass out that way.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:50 PM   #34

A long center punch wraped in a rag would do best guys. I plan on doing the same but with an old JCPenny 3X I have. Then when the wife lets me have my wallet back I'll get some tubes and Diopters.

Dawg
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:06 PM   #35

there's a matched 2x on ebay now.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:31 PM   #36

hello all its been awhile. I just stumbled upon a couple of lenses on keh and picked them up last week (just got them!). I took a risk and bought 2 'ugly' lenses from them for a total of $40 shipped. These were both potential replacements to my 70-210mm smc-A f4 that I just sold to help fund my 10-17mm purchase (love that lens after a week)!

anyways, I got the Kiron 75-205 f3.8 - and everything is perfect except the front element, which does have a fair bit of fungus starting up, albeit mostly around the edges, I'll give it a try and see if it affects image quality too much, then maybe take it apart just to see what taking a lens apart is like (any tips on the tools I'd need?).

BUT, the other lens is a beaut! Apparently when KEH calls something ugly, sometimes they must just mean 'missing caps and hood'. It is the sigma 70-300mmDL Macro - and I swear it was taken out of the box new and wrapped in KEH plastic to ship. Anyways, I couldn't contain myself and had to tell someone! That'll tide me over nicely until the 60-250 comes (and i think of the excuse to end all excuses to my wife that i'll need it more than a hole in the head!)
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:12 AM   #37

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
hello all its been awhile. I just stumbled upon a couple of lenses on keh and picked them up last week (just got them!). I took a risk and bought 2 'ugly' lenses from them for a total of $40 shipped. These were both potential replacements to my 70-210mm smc-A f4 that I just sold to help fund my 10-17mm purchase (love that lens after a week)!

anyways, I got the Kiron 75-205 f3.8 - and everything is perfect except the front element, which does have a fair bit of fungus starting up, albeit mostly around the edges, I'll give it a try and see if it affects image quality too much, then maybe take it apart just to see what taking a lens apart is like (any tips on the tools I'd need?).

BUT, the other lens is a beaut! Apparently when KEH calls something ugly, sometimes they must just mean 'missing caps and hood'. It is the sigma 70-300mmDL Macro - and I swear it was taken out of the box new and wrapped in KEH plastic to ship. Anyways, I couldn't contain myself and had to tell someone! That'll tide me over nicely until the 60-250 comes (and i think of the excuse to end all excuses to my wife that i'll need it more than a hole in the head!)
LBA-------LBA--------LBA-------LBA-LBA-LBA-LBA!!!!!!!!

Dawg
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:24 AM   #38

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
LBA-------LBA--------LBA-------LBA-LBA-LBA-LBA!!!!!!!!

Dawg
To be honest, I think my LBA is finally winding down. I've been through alot of lenses, some loved some hated (probably at least 20 in a little over a year since I first got into the pentax system). The 70-210mm smc-a f4 was a very nice, sharp lens. But after owning that, and a 50mm smc-a f1.7 for awhile, i finally admitted to myself that I was missing shots without AF. Also, last time we went on vacation in May I had the kit lens (which is nice, just not fast enough for me) and a sigma 28-105mm f2.8-4 which was fast enough just not very nice! So, I resolved myself to get lenses that I will keep and enjoy.

I sold the sigma and the Kit lens, and used the funds to help buy the 16-45mm - i love the constant aperture (helps alot with a slave flash). Then a few weeks ago National Camera had a 50mm SMC-FA f1.7 for $50 (they have no clue what pentax stuff is worth these days!). So, that replaced my 50mm smc-a f1.7, set there. I also lucked into a tamron 1.4x TC at national camera for $50 2 months ago, and am pretty happy with that. I love wide angle, and especially all the samples I could find of the 10-17mm, so I sold the 70-210 and picked up the fish from beachcamera - definitely not disapointed with that purchase, it is an amazing little lens!

Of course, like I mentioned above, that leaves one big empty space beyond 50mm (and there is alot of space up there). The 60-250mm will be that final lens. of course I have to wait (and NOT spend in the meantime to convince the wife I'm serious and i need it!). but in the meantime, I was sooooo lucky to pickup that 70-300 sigma, it is pristine (I get the feeling maybe they sent me the wrong one, but it was labelled ugly, so their loss! it works flawlessly, i feel like i owe them another $100 just to make my guilt go away, cause for $20 i really did steal it from them!

So, the LBA is still there, but is definitely close to being satisfied!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:03 PM   #39

I hear you. I'm doing something close to the same. Just sold 1 long lens (100-500) and have another that will sell in 3 days or so. These are paying for my series one 105 macro lens. Got enough other ones to pay for a good wide angle one later if I do it right and all the other slots are filled already. Congrats on the good luck so far! But really LBA is only apeased not gone...We both know that....We are gaining control but it is there non the less. LOL

Dawg
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:12 PM   #40

Yeah... I hear ya'll. I just sold everything (camera gear)I owned to buy a K10D, Kit Lens, FA50, and APO DG 70-300
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote