Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:07 AM   #11

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Hayward wrote:
Quote:
135mm is going to be ~200mm on a digital..... well above the portrait range. Unless you can be like 20 ft away.
Yes and of course a 200 mm ("being 300 mm on a digital") is just out of the question which this real life experiment proves. I'm ashamed of even trying, had to knock down a wall in the studio to get further away from the subject.

Kjell
Kjell,

For a model and a shot like that, I can knock down anything, not to mention just a wall , for it.

Other portrait from 135mm

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/71702130

One thing about using long lens (300mm) for portrait is that you get good bokeh . And I did a lot

from my 300mmF4

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:21 AM   #12

So our conclusion is that for portraits only a short, preferably under 50 mm lens can be used. That is of course, if there isn't an extraordinary situation (like a theatre or zoo or just plain outdoors) or subject (like people, beautiful girls, gorillas, cats). In these rare occasions a longer high quality lens might do if you don't have an A 28-80 at hand.

Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures, Daniel.

BTW, I now recall that the gorilla was shot with 600mm+2XTC, making it 1200 mm.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:40 AM   #13
TDN

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
BTW, I now recall that the gorilla was shot with 600mm+2XTC, making it 1200 mm.

Kjell
Wow, which lens and TC were that? Because the quality is great, especially for a teleconverter!

As for the whole portrait thing, Hayward's countless and beautiful portrait pictures, made in a professional studio, clearly show that his method works best.

P.S.: attached picture, @ 200mm
Attached Images

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:50 AM   #14
TDN

at 105mm (Kiron)

Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:03 AM   #15

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Wow, which lens and TC were that? Because the quality is great, especially for a teleconverter!
It's simply a Pentax and a Pentax. A*600mm f5.6 and Converter A 2XS. You know these things only stupid people buy since the SMC-M 50mm f2is so much cheaper.

Kjell
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:19 AM   #16
TDN

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
TDN wrote:
Quote:
It's simply a Pentax and a Pentax. A*600mm f5.6 and Converter A 2XS. You know these things only stupid people buy since the SMC-M 50mm f2is so much cheaper.

Kjell
damn, just look at the detail on those eyes and face of the gorrilla...amazing, truly exceptional for such a focal length...

werent the guards at that zoo afraid you were going to shoot the poor thing with that cannon though? :lol:
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:32 AM   #17

TDN wrote:
Quote:
werent the guards at that zoo afraid you were going to shoot the poor thing with that cannon though? :lol:
They didn't see me, I was in the neighbouring town... and still had to back off another 6"

Kjell

Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:20 AM   #18

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
They didn't see me, I was in the neighbouring town... and still had to back off another 6"

Kjell
Kjell

That is far then. It is called zoom with your feet. Swedish style of shooting huh?

Tom,
Great portrait shots from a mid tele

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:46 AM   #19

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Hayward wrote:
Quote:
But as you said yourself had to streatch things to the PHYSICAL limit (what if you needed to go 6" farther?)
Haward, look up the word "irony" in your dictionary. And in Europe we use our feet for walking metres further.

Kjell
Certainly do know the meaning of irony.... do you know the meaning of LITERAL?

We both really meant either.... but unless LOTS of space, more than a 50mm MAYBE an 80mm, on a digital is pretty unwieldly for even H&S portraiture, unless outdoors and lots of room, people aren't going to walking through. And unless you can do it wide OPEN, likely not the DOF you would want for a portrait , easily manipulated on a shorter lens.

Again other than maybe on a FF camera I would not consider a 135mm to be any kind of practial/routine portrait lens.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:25 AM   #20

I'll make an exception from my previous promise to not respond to Haywards provocations.

Hayward wrote:

Quote:
We both really meant either....
Hayward, I'm really offended by your telling people what I mean. Please abstain totally from that from now on.

Kjell