Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:03 PM   #21

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Hey thanks for taking time to comment. I am nuts. I posted birdie shots from my 16, 28 & 50mm before. And I use 135mm & 300mm for close up portrait.

Here is another one from my lowly FA135mm compared with A*135mm

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:56 PM   #22

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

I'll make an exception from my previous promise to not respond to Haywards provocations.

Hayward wrote:

Quote:
We both really meant either....
Hayward, I'm really offended by your telling people what I mean. Please abstain totally from that from now on.

Kjell
kjell ?
what do you expect from an a $ $ that thinks he has 30(at least) years of experience with pentax ?? the guy is a FOOL !! i've seen many posts from the FOOL that state intimate experience with pentax and 60% of it is dead wrong.. that is '' if once in awhile'' you can actually decipher what he actually said..

sorry for being such a POS but i have the 1st amendment here
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:25 PM   #23

robar wrote:
Quote:
what do you expect from an a $ $ that thinks he has 30(at least) years of experience with pentax ??
And I said that just WHERE??? Reread what was said NOT what you wanted to see.

Not that a 135 can't be a portrait lens but by definition a portrat lens is pretty close distance shallow DOF lens......

YES IF you have enough room a 135 (200mm on a digital) CAN do the job.... but doesn't make it a portrait lens per se.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:56 AM   #24

My 135mm or 300mm cannot be a portrait lens. Hehe I take lousy portrait with my 300mm.

Here is an uncropped one taken on St Patrick Day 2007 in Toronto

Later on I will try to use my TC and jack it up to 450mm for another portrait.

Daniel
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:18 AM   #25
TDN

Hey Daniel, that last shot of the bird is excellent! I'm impressed

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:29 PM   #26

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Hey Daniel, that last shot of the bird is excellent! I'm impressed

Tom
Thanks. The original file is here .
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/imag...8/original.jpg
It fully examplifies the resolution power of that 135mm. The bird is almost like popping out of the monitor

Daniel
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:36 PM   #27

Popping is the word. Very nice picture, Daniel. How did you get the bird and all the people from St Patrics Day into your studio? :-)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:23 PM   #28
Super Moderator

I personally like using a variety of lenses for capturing portraits here is a shot on my Canon 30D and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 at 300mm and f2.8 which allows for great candids but would not be my choice for general portrait work, for that I like using my Canon 5D and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 or Canon 24-105mm f4 if I need to pull back a bit. As I'm lazy I don't often use the 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8 primes (although that latter is fantastic) I'm not keen on the whole zoom with feet LOL (I'm sure if would be good for me if I did though..... I need some exercise!!).

If we are being purists then 90mm and just over in 35mm terms is the 'ideal' so with a 1.5x crop digital then a 60mm lens would fall nicely into this. Themain reason this length is the norm is that then you don't get the nasty distortions of close and wide. Here is when notto use 24mm on a Canon 5D.... now I'm not saying you can't use wide lenses but it is knowing when and how, likewise with longer than normal lenses.

Attached shot with Canon 5D and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 at 70mm f13.

Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:55 PM   #29

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I personally like using a variety of lenses for capturing portraits here is a shot on my Canon 30D and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 at 300mm and f2.8 which allows for great candids but would not be my choice for general portrait work, for that I like using my Canon 5D and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 or Canon 24-105mm f4 if I need to pull back a bit. As I'm lazy I don't often use the 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8 primes (although that latter is fantastic)

If we are being purists then 90mm and just over in 35mm terms is the 'ideal' so with a 1.5x crop digital then a 60mm lens would fall nicely into this.

Mark,

I am gratified that you took time to elaborate on a purist approach on portrait. Certainly a pleasant surprise that a Canon shooter gives his view on this subject in a Pentax lens forum. You have posted some very nice shots to illustrate your point.
This forum actually needs more pict posted instead .
I did look at some of your input in the Sports Action forum - I suck big time and hardly post anything.

Quote:
I'm not keen on the whole zoom with feet LOL (I'm sure if would be good for me if I did though..... I need some exercise!!).
My lens line up is 16-28-50-100-135-300mm. I need to zoom with my feet.

Daniel
Old Jun 23, 2007, 6:16 AM   #30

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
My lens line up is 16-28-50-100-135-300mm. I need to zoom with my feet.
Besides the jogging, we "prime lens purists" get a lot of workout from carrying all the lenses. With just one or two zooms you don't get that opportunity. Better even if they are old heavy MF lenses!

Kjell (16-45, 28, 28 shift, 50, 85, 200, TC in the everyday bag)
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote