Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:15 PM   #1

My daughter's cat finally allows me to take a portrait of her. It was a FA135mmF2.8 with bounce flash from my Sigma ST 500

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:20 PM   #2

With the graduated fur works quite well for a human and such shallow DOF might not as well.

135mm is going to be ~200mm on a digital..... well above the portrait range. Unless you can be like 20 ft away.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:24 AM   #3

I really like the longer lenses for portrait (ooooh, I'd love to have the A* 135 1.8...), it allows you to get near without getting near, so to speak. A lot of people (and cats) feel a bit intimidated when you put your camera up their nose. I guess your cat portraits would have been impossible with a 50 mm (or your Zen:-)), the cat would have started playing with the camera or would have gone away to sleep undisturbed.

My avatar was taken with a 600 mm, I don't think I would have been allowed in his playing grounds...
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:20 AM   #4

But again with an effective 200mm lens on a digital... you are talking being a LONG ways away.... fine if you have the space.... again like 15 to 20ft

Hardly a small studio or enclosed area lens..... even a 50 (75mm) can be confiniing in those situations on a digital... and you still aren't right on top of them.... good 7+ ft away for just head and shoulders.

Now I know danielchtong is probably going to tell me they were closer.... but again uniqness of subject... small (and shallow DOF) face and naturally blending out fur.... doubt it would work that well on a typical human situation/subject at same distance.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:04 AM   #5

daniel, nice shots.

the other?? as usual , GIGO
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:44 AM   #6

Oops I accidentally edited this post
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:52 AM   #7
TDN

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Kjell, Roy,

Hey thanks for taking time to comment. I am nuts. I posted birdie shots from my 16, 28 & 50mm before. And I use 135mm & 300mm for close up portrait. No harm in trying. This comes from my 16mm

Daniel
you're crazy daniel, experimenting with focal lengths and all, what were you thinking?

Nice pictures of the cat! I have 2 myself, and since LBA hit me, they've been officially converted to "lens test subject":G

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:39 AM   #8

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
135mm is going to be ~200mm on a digital..... well above the portrait range. Unless you can be like 20 ft away.
Yes and of course a 200 mm ("being 300 mm on a digital") is just out of the question which this real life experiment proves. I'm ashamed of even trying, had to knock down a wall in the studio to get further away from the subject.

Kjell
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:50 AM   #9

AGAIN..... NOT THAT it CAN'T WORK.....

But as you said yourself had to streatch things to the PHYSICAL limit (what if you needed to go 6" farther?)

On a digital, 135 is hardly a Portrait lens.... on a FF I'd put it at 75-85mm...(maybe even 90 with space)..... about what a 50mm is on a digital on a Practical Level..
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:03 AM   #10

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
But as you said yourself had to streatch things to the PHYSICAL limit (what if you needed to go 6" farther?)
Haward, look up the word "irony" in your dictionary. And in Europe we use our feet for walking metres further.

Kjell