Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1

I'm thinking of buying a Pentax K100 D. I've read some good reports - and others that are not so good - of the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC that somebody bought for his K100 D.

I want a lens with similar specifications but I want to make sure I get one that will give good resolution.

How does this Sigma lens compare with other similar lenses that fit the Pentax, including Pentax's own lenses?

I'm not interested in action shots, nor in indoor shots nor in shots in poor light.

My main interest is inlandscapes & in shots of gardens including details in gardens & and in getting the best resolution.

What lens would you recommend?

Herb
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:07 AM   #2

I don't have the Sigma, but since you mention gardens, landscapes and details of gardens, I wonder if you aren't going to want a macro lens also. I take lots of flower pictures and use a very inexpensive macro lens all the time. I think if it were me, I'd be tempted to get one of the less expensive macro lenses that are around 100mm (Tamron makes a nice 90mm, I have the cheap Phoenix 100mm, there are lots of others that all seem to have good quality optics) and the Pentax kit (18-55) lens. It would limit you a bitmore than the Sigma when it comes to focal length, but you'd gain a close-focusing lens. And the kit lens has quite reasonable quality for what little they charge for it (I just posted a picture in the general Pentax SLR category taken with mine, it is my main wide angle lens).

Hopefully someone will chime in that has the Sigma and let you know what they think.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 6:10 PM   #3

mtngal,

First of all, I'm sorry that my question got posted twice. Strange - at the time my computer indicated that the first posting had failed.

Thanks for the advice. The answers to the first post also lean towards my getting two lenses.

Herb

Herb is online now   Reply With Quote