Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:48 AM   #1

You red LocTite the adapter to the M42 screw-mount lens & the two form a permanent attachment, correct??..

Does this mean that when it is time to remove the lens from the camera that the lens will come off with no trouble??..

Forgive me if I am being obtuse ( remember the scene of the Warden talking to Andy Dufresne when he was lying on the floor of the solitary confinement cell in the Shawshank Redemption?) , but I want to be sure of what I am doing before I perform this modification..

Happy Fathers Day!!

Thanks, Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:06 PM   #2
TDN

Are you talking about glueing an M42 adapter to a lens to make it K-mount?

If so, be sure you remove the little spring on the side, otherwise you won't be able to get it off the camera.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:43 PM   #3

that's right.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:18 PM   #4

And if you do remove the spring the camera lens will never lock on the camera so it could fall off.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:36 AM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
And if you do remove the spring the camera lens will never lock on the camera so it could fall off.

Tom
let's don't talk about lenses falling off. i'm still waiting for a part..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:20 AM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Are you talking about glueing an M42 adapter to a lens to make it K-mount?

If so, be sure you remove the little spring on the side, otherwise you won't be able to get it off the camera.
What spring????

Then again I have only bought the cheapo Hong Kong variety ($11 shipped vs $25+)
They lock/snap in just fine, fit flush, and no way fall off. Clicks in like any K mount lens which have no spings, its in the camera the release button removes the tension of.

If I don't hit the release, no way they come off... but even with no wrench hit the button and 3 fingers wedged in the threads come right off pretty easily.... fall off no way if you don't hit the release button and twist.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:17 AM   #7

Hayward

I think that what Tom is saying is that if you red LocTite or otherwise glue / permanently attach the adapter to the lens, then you must remove the small leaf spring that is screwed to theperimeter of the adapter..

Otherwise, you would not be able to remove the lens / adapter assembly from the camera as you would no longer have access to depress the spring with either the spanner wrench or a fingernail, ect..

Correct, everybody??..

So what BigDawg and others have done is to purchase an adapter for every M42 threaded lens that they have & to permanently attach the adapter to the lens for convienciences sake..Correct??..

But, by doing so they have elimated the retaining spring on the outer perimeter of the adapter, & the spring is necessary so to prevent the lens fron rotating & falling off..Correct??..

So, if a person performs this modification they have to be aware of the lenses attachment to the camera at all times..Correct??..

Otherwise there is the possibility of the lens falling off the camera..Correct??..

Bruce

Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:13 AM   #8

Well again the two I have are exactly like a K mount lens.... clicks into the cam mount springs, the release button just releases..... why would a mount need a spring...lenses don't.... and still physically mount flush no less? The mount is just a plain pice of machined aluminium.... no mechanics at all.....

Again why would there be a reason for a spring on the mount???? There aren't on K lenses?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:52 AM   #9

Hi All,

I bought a K10D and got a m42 adapter from Fotodiox. Hindsight is 20/20. Now I realize that this adapter will not let me do infinity focus. Which was fine with a couple of the portrait lenses but a big handicap with a telephoto prime zoom I bought.

I see that Pentax sells a m42 to K adapter for $30.00 plus S&H.

Is there anything you would recommend that are cheaper yet as good ? I want to avoid the adapters that have a tendency to get stuck in the body and require some effort to get out (problems with the spring ?)

Please help since I have a couple of lenses I cannot test until I get this adapter.

/\/\ax

umenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:05 PM   #10

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Well again the two I have are exactly like a K mount lens.... clicks into the cam mount springs, the release button just releases..... why would a mount need a spring...lenses don't.... and still physically mount flush no less? The mount is just a plain pice of machined aluminium.... no mechanics at all.....

Again why would there be a reason for a spring on the mount???? There aren't on K lenses?
Good questions Hayward!!

I was wondering the same things as to why the mount has a spring & the lenses do not..

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will provide us with the answers..

Bruce