Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:49 PM   #11

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful shot - the sea looks like it is painted.

Darren

Thank you very much Darren.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:51 PM   #12

monx wrote:
Quote:
i Take it you where not doing it handheld at at 6 seconds.:-)

A thought - try getting the iso down a bit. A lot of noise present at iso1600.

I would suggest a longer exposion
I used the higher ISO to get away from the 12 second exposure as the wave action looked horrible that way. I shot this 10+ times at different settings and this was the best.

Dawg
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:52 PM   #13

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Lovely picture from a lens that isn't supposed to be as good as the M 50mm 1.7. Goes to show that sharp isn't always what you want, is it?
Hard to say for sure from a reduced image but the static elements like the 2nd railings are pretty sharp, And for a 6 sec exposure in a misty/foggy spot even the bright lights a pretty unblown/fuzzed out.

The A and M 50 f/2's (kit lens of their day) are pretty nice especially for the price you can still pick one up for, because of that.... lots are out there.

I was quite impressed at the differenc though when I picked up a 1.7, and more recenty an A 1.4 at between about 2 and 3x the cost repectively.(Partly because as they were the pricey option lenses of the time, so far fewer) Biggest difference was probably between the f/2 and 1.7 though.

And yes nice shot BIGDAWG

Oh and good point above since on a tripod or railing obviosly, lower ISO and say 12 sec exposure might have looked better. ... though sometimes long exposure causes problems too.... for instance might have haze fuzzed out the lights more, or blurred the waves too much.

Thanks Hayward..And you are righty on the last part.

Dawg
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:42 PM   #14

i've got 1 of these available once i get one of the lens's groups dismantled to clean it. about a week.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:07 PM   #15

It is a good high quality semi-fast lens and more folks should pay attention to them. They are readily available as so many were sold with the K1000 cameras and it's decendants. Makes a wonderful portrait lens.

Dawg
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:11 AM   #16

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
It is a good high quality semi-fast lens and more folks should pay attention to them.
Especially while they are still around.... EVEN the A's are getable still for a MAX of $50

And that is almost standard now... got mine 3 months ago for $25, so with the blossoming of the new K's the old glass is dwindling fast, and climbing in price.

And particularly the rarer "option" 1.7 and 1.4's are getting real pricey....

In fact a very questionable condition 1.2 M (rarest of all M or A... not sure there is even a 1.2 F AF) just went for $152

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

PS Though I had played with EVERYTHING I could on the 10D.... but a recent thread got me to DL the *ist DS and K100D manual to make some comparisions which also got me into the K10D Custom menu again cross checking and exploring.

Well low and behold this of for ISO adjust full steps or per EV setting..... now I figured that was just for the unique to 10D Sv mode.... but no.... applies to MANUAL and AUTO range ISO adjust as well... so now I DON'T have to jump from 800 to 1600.

With 1/2 EV steps you have 1100 inbetween
1/3 third steps you have 1000 and 1250

And that is true with stepping ALL the ISO.... a little more wheel spinning, but FAR more refined options.... rather than big leaps.

My advice to ALL new K10D owners READ/SCAN the ENTIRE manual.... and then with no serious goal in mind GO OUT AND PLAY around twirl every knob and press every button....see what they do

Thought I had done all that by mow.... but no still finding new amazing things the darn thing can do.

(This particular item not sure if original or added with the new funtionality of the firmware updates)

Oh and ANOTHER one discovered in this multi camera comparision....

There is also Custom must be enabled option to allow, of allowing AWB to able to be manually fine tuned essentially giving you a second TEMP manual AWB setting (beside the 3 colr temp based ones and MAN) and when done just hitting the GREEN button in the WB mode just restes it to 0,0 compensation.

10D really is one amazing, constantly surprising camera. BUT it take a LOT of PLAY.... alot is not really in the manual in detail.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:43 AM   #17

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
It is a good high quality semi-fast lens and more folks should pay attention to them.
Especially while they are still around.... EVEN the A's are getable still for a MAX of $50

And that is almost standard now... got mine 3 months ago for $25, so with the blossoming of the new K's the old glass is dwindling fast, and climbing in price.

And particularly the rarer "option" 1.7 and 1.4's are getting real pricey....

In fact a very questionable condition 1.2 M (rarest of all M or A... not sure there is even a 1.2 F AF) just went for $152

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

PS Though I had played with EVERYTHING I could on the 10D.... but a recent thread got me to DL the *ist DS and K100D manual to make some comparisions which also got me into the K10D Custom menu again cross checking and exploring.

Well low and behold this of for ISO adjust full steps or per EV setting..... now I figured that was just for the unique to 10D Sv mode.... but no.... applies to MANUAL and AUTO range ISO adjust as well... so now I DON'T have to jump from 800 to 1600.

With 1/2 EV steps you have 1100 inbetween
1/3 third steps you have 1000 and 1250

And that is true with stepping ALL the ISO.... a little more wheel spinning, but FAR more refined options.... rather than big leaps.

My advice to ALL new K10D owners READ/SCAN the ENTIRE manual.... and then with no serious goal in mind GO OUT AND PLAY around twirl every knob and press every button....see what they do

Thought I had done all that by mow.... but no still finding new amazing things the darn thing can do.

(This particular item not sure if original or added with the new funtionality of the firmware updates)

Oh and ANOTHER one discovered in this multi camera comparision....

There is also Custom must be enabled option to allow, of allowing AWB to able to be manually fine tuned essentially giving you a second TEMP manual AWB setting (beside the 3 colr temp based ones and MAN) and when done just hitting the GREEN button in the WB mode just restes it to 0,0 compensation.

10D really is one amazing, constantly surprising camera. BUT it take a LOT of PLAY.... alot is not really in the manual in detail.
The possible permutations of the combinations are too many to even contemplate...I just ease into it and would rather shoot manual most times and pick and choose my Flavors. Hate it when someone or some thing trys to tell me what I should be doing anyway..LOL See Hayward I meant the camera or my wife. Not you. LOL I mean this too.

Dawg

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:46 PM   #18

Certainly didn't mean it that way.... but even if you read the manual word for word front to back there is a WHOLE lot not really delved into there...at ~220 pgs most find that formidable.... but there really is MUCH more.... the real power of the camera only truly comes out through PLAY with it. (Shots that don't matter)

I encourage you to play with , not demanding it.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:42 AM   #19

Hi Dawg,

Great Shot!!! the only thing I would have done to it was a crop to get rid of some of the foreground. But this is me...

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:14 AM   #20

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

Great Shot!!! the only thing I would have done to it was a crop to get rid of some of the foreground. But this is me...

Rudy
No...Thanks for saying that...I want people to comment and critique my photos. It gives a different direction for me to look. I liked the dark foreground as a counterpoint to the bright portion.

Dawg