Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:38 AM   #21

OOPS never mind already covered.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:34 PM   #22

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
OOPS never mind already covered.
What was already covered?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:40 PM   #23

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Certainly didn't mean it that way.... but even if you read the manual word for word front to back there is a WHOLE lot not really delved into there...at ~220 pgs most find that formidable.... but there really is MUCH more.... the real power of the camera only truly comes out through PLAY with it. (Shots that don't matter)

I encourage you to play with , not demanding it.
I meant the Auto portion of the camera telling me what to do Hayward!!! Now I see why you may have thought that....No..No...No...Sorry if it came across that I thought you were telling me what to do! Didn't think that at all and my comment was I didn't want the camera to tell me what to do...I prefer Manual to Auto. again sorry if that hurt your feelings but I never meant that you were telling what to do at all.

Dawg
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:00 AM   #24

Well that is the thing I like about P mode after the early firmware upgrade.

Which enables one wheel to be P-Shift and the other to be EV.....

Its only SUGGESTING something, and can be in seconds changed to and other valid A/S combo in a sec or two, and if its metering too middle gray.... another easy fast shift of EV compensation. And both settings stick, not just single exposure... EV even if you change to a differently lit subject, but want same general condition over/under exposure.
P mode also allows a default A setting of lens' prime detail exposure point as the starting apperture point (MTF program line) Best with FA and DA lenses but also works pretty well on even third party A, and AF lenses, and Pentax'A's and F's

I find it a lot lot like manual, but much faster to deal with .... And I do like and use manual too, but usually only under very critical, hard to AE meter properly and stable situations.... like trying to shoot full moonlight over a water/beach scene, such as your OP here.

Again though, not trying to be pushy or demamanding But if you experiment, with the modes and particularly their Custom Menu options, you might be surprised and how little the K10Dwill be TELLING/LIMITING you what to do aqnd being limiting, but just suggesting a setting that in seconds can be changed to what you might decide is better (and generally much faster than you could manual in my experience.)

PS Some of those Custome Menu settings are even very useful for full manual shooting.... like setting ISO to follow EV step setting. This gives you 1/2 or 1/3 steps of ISO between all the standards, particularly useful between 800 and somewhat noisey 1600 where that adds 1000 and 1250 if 1/3 steps are set.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:19 PM   #25

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Well that is the thing I like about P mode after the early firmware upgrade.

Which enables one wheel to be P-Shift and the other to be EV.....

Its only SUGGESTING something, and can be in seconds changed to and other valid A/S combo in a sec or two, and if its metering too middle gray.... another easy fast shift of EV compensation. And both settings stick, not just single exposure... EV even if you change to a differently lit subject, but want same general condition over/under exposure.
P mode also allows a default A setting of lens' prime detail exposure point as the starting apperture point (MTF program line) Best with FA and DA lenses but also works pretty well on even third party A, and AF lenses, and Pentax'A's and F's

I find it a lot lot like manual, but much faster to deal with .... And I do like and use manual too, but usually only under very critical, hard to AE meter properly and stable situations.... like trying to shoot full moonlight over a water/beach scene, such as your OP here.

Again though, not trying to be pushy or demamanding But if you experiment, with the modes and particularly their Custom Menu options, you might be surprised and how little the K10Dwill be TELLING/LIMITING you what to do aqnd being limiting, but just suggesting a setting that in seconds can be changed to what you might decide is better (and generally much faster than you could manual in my experience.)

PS Some of those Custome Menu settings are even very useful for full manual shooting.... like setting ISO to follow EV step setting. This gives you 1/2 or 1/3 steps of ISO between all the standards, particularly useful between 800 and somewhat noisey 1600 where that adds 1000 and 1250 if 1/3 steps are set.
Many thanks for that info and inspiration Hayward.

Dawg
Old Jul 7, 2007, 1:47 AM   #26

And by the way since that first firmware upgrade Av and TV modes offer the same option if you want to limit yourself in those directions specifically..... S/T or A priority vs P all possible COMBOS (a little less wheel twirling maybe to span them all)..... AND STILL EV comp on the other wheel.. and AGAIN ISO SET TO FOLLOW EV...giving you the half or third steps of ISO settings as well. A whole lot ofr stuff IMMEDIATELY at your FINGERTIPS vs a lot of time consuming button and menu (and depending...likely single shot) stuff in full M or B.