Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 24, 2007, 3:40 AM   #1

Hello,

I'm in doubt which lens I should buy. I want a one lens solution for whe I'm gonig on a holliday.

I really love to use tele lenses so I thought the 28-300 would be a better choice for me, but I'm not sure about which lens gives the better IQ in the 28-200 range.

Can someone please help me which lens I should get?

Thanks!

Rudo

Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 6:26 AM   #2
TDN

Well, I'd only suggest the 28-300mm if you really need the reach.

A lens that zooms from 28mm to 300mm will have a lot of compromises.

I have a Tamron 28-200 myself, and although the quality is ok, I have a better length at each focal length it gives me.
I use it as a travel zoom, since I can't bring my entire glass bucket with then
That is a purpose it serves pretty well, but I have to admit I haven't used it much besides for that.

If you have to choose between the 28-300 and 28-200, I don't think there'll be much difference in the 28 to 200mm range. So there wouldn't be any harm in taking the 300mm, if you don't mind that it's a little bigger and heavier.

But, what would make a difference I think, is to get an 18-200mm instead. Most of these are "made for digital" and offer a much wider wideangle (28mm is pretty narrow), are often more compact, and from what I hear, deliver better IQ.
They are however, more expensive...

So basicly what I'm trying to say is: it's up to you
If you have a good feeling about a 28-300mm, go for it, otherwise, look at alternatives and compare (reviews, samples on pbase, etc)

It's also a matter of what you're willing to spend. More money will get you a better lens, but if you buy it for the same purpose as me, just to travel with, is it really worth spending a lot?

Hope I could help a little...if you'd like some sample shots of my Tamron 28-200mm XR, let me know

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:12 PM   #3

Personally I'd stay WAY away from the Sigma 28-300..... I had one for my old Canon Rebel and it was pretty AWFUL above 200mm .... low contrast and soft, also lots of zoom slip above or below horizantal, and the lock it had only worked at 28mm.

The Tamron and from I've heard SIGMA 28-200mm's on the other hand do relatively nicely end to end and and are smaller and lighter. Though like TDN said a dedicated prime 200mm is likely to be better, but for the practicality of not carrying/buy a dozen lense, I've found the Tam 28-200mm a very nice comprmise.

Unless you want to spend big bucks (Like the SIGMA 50-500mm $1000 BIGMA) I'd stay away from anything over 5-7x

If you want 300mm or more consider a 70-300mm or maybe 100-400mm (both only 4x)

Basically though there is no really good all in one lens.... sort of defeats the point of a SLR too. I'd consider a two lens solution like the kit or similar lens and a 70-300mm. If you look around you will notice many here use and are happy with the SIGMA 70-300mm
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:50 PM   #4

It really does come down to how much are you going to want the extra reach of a 300mm lens. While some people "see" photos mostly in wide angle, I tend to think in telephoto terms. I've often used a 50-200 lens as my "walk-about" lens, and quite often don't go much beyond 135 very often. I have a deposit down on the DA*50-135, which I plan to use as my main walk-about lens, with the kit lens as a second lens for anything wide-angle. I don't mind carrying a second lens (as a matter of fact, I don't mind carrying several lenses all the time).

It also depends on where you plan on going. If I'm going to Europe on tour I would most likely leave the A*300 home and make sure that the kit lens is mounted on the camera. If I'm going to the Sierra Nevada mountains, the A*300 is going to be mountedon the camera most of the time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:48 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies...

I think I'll go with the 28-200, like i said is for shooting some snapshots and it's not really about quality (it would be nice though). I have the two kit lenses, and later on I want to buy the Sigma 17-70 and the Sigma 70-300 apo, or maybe an other tele lens like a 100-400 or the 80-320, whatever.

But befor that I'll wait and see how the new Pentax lenses (17-70 and 55-300) will be and what they will cost.

If I'm gonna buy a 28-300 now than Iwould be using my future telelens less, because I'm lazy enough :lol:to leave a lesser quality lens on, just so I wouldn't have to change the lenses.

The 28-200 is€ 60,--cheaper here in Holland and is on stock. And seems togive more IQ then the 28-300

I've used the pentax 50-200 a lot, but sometimes I needed just a little wider lens, so then I switched to the 18-55 which I mostly used between 25 and 55 mm range. I'm keeping my kitlenses for now, so when I would need the 18-28 mm range, I allways have a uppertunity two switch.

Rudo
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:12 AM   #6

Maybe I'll go a totally different way, because I just found aFA 50mm f1.4. I thought they were no longer available in Holland, but I found a shop which sells this lens new.

The 50mm was on my wishlist too among with a 100mm prime.... But since I thought it wouldn't be available here in HollandI thought I'll buy a used (f1.4 or f 1.7) one later when I have the money and it comes on my path, or wait and see what other lenses I could buy instead of the 50mm

Doubts Doubts Doubts

Which will give me more fun....????

Rudo
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:21 AM   #7

I gote an even better deal..... Just found out I got a little raise, so I decided to buy them both

I'll post some results when I got the lenses, and I'm curious how the 28-200 is compared to the pentax 50-200, so maybe I will test it and show you the results.

Rudo
Old Jun 25, 2007, 6:15 PM   #8

Those lenses are comparable Rudo. I had the Tamron 28-200mm but gave that as a gift to a friend with a DS body. I have the Pentax 50-200mm but may sell it since I like using the Tamron 70-300mm Di LD 1:2 more. I think the kit lens is one of the best out there but has a slight vignetting problem at 18mm.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:55 AM   #9

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I think the kit lens is one of the best out there but has a slight vignetting problem at 18mm.
You think so? You ought to see the competing SIGMA 18-50mm 3.5-5.6 DC..... horrid by comparison..... unfortunately found it before I found a good deal on a Pentax 18-55mm that I didn't have because my (for stolen) replacement K10D turned out to be body only.
(Though adevertised as such.... got some (enough) money back but they would not give me the 18-55mm.)

The Sigma vignettes REAL bad.... the Pentax 18-55mm you really only notice it on flat backgrounds like plain blue sky.

The $400+ Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 EX DC seems to OK (for that money it better be).... but stay away from the base (P Kit like) 3.5-5.6 model.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote