Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:16 PM   #1

Just got a new lens off Ebay, right before going on vacation. The seller wasn't very sure what he had and I thought I saw a bargain in the making. I have one Series 1 vivitar but thought a second as a backup would be prudent if I could get it for a cheap bid. Not as cheap as I wanted but got it none the less $29.99 including shipping. This is how I acquire most of my lens by finding the sellers that do not post all the info on a lens because they are unaware of what they have...Leaves a lot of folks that would normally bid on them out as the discription doesn't flag it in the search engine. This was on a Pentax lens search. Guy was asked about the kind of mount he had and the guy said it wasn't a screw mount but was a mount with three flanges. The lens arrived and with out looking real close I tried to mount it to a old 2X multiplier that I keep around for just that purpose. It wouldn't fit!!!!!!!!! On closer inspection it looks to me to be a Cannon mount....This is a series 1 made in the mid 70's or so by Tokina...Just the one I wanted. Oh well what to do now???? I looked again anfd figured out that by thinning out the flanges and cutting off the arms that stick through the back for the aperture and the exposure , I could make it fit the Pentax. Nice to have access to machine tools. I removed the lens mount from the camera and took it to work. Machined the flanges and cut the lever arms and then removed some from the base to match the opening in the Pentax. The flanges though not thwe same still are spaced good enough to work. Then I milled a slot for the locking pin to work. IT FITS !!!!!!!! Only drawback is the legend for aperture and zoom is now on the bottom. Any way I have my backup... ALL MANUAL for sure but it WORKS!!
Dawg
ps I may be wrong on the type of original mount...I wouldn't know one brands mount from the other unless it is a Pentax.

A few photos before cleaning the lens...Not bad at all.
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:17 PM   #2

No. 2
Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:18 PM   #3

No. 3
Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:22 AM   #4

Hi Dawg,

Most don't have the perserverence nor the means to do what you've done, but I think that the experience was probably worth it for you.

This web page might interest you:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html

It's got pics of most of the major lens mounts, so you can at least find out what you had before it became a Pentax faux-K mount.

Who knows? Pentax might pick up on this and start advertising that anybody's lens can fit on their DSLRs (with a little modification -- just send it to the Dawg ---) :-)

Can't argue with the results tho -- pics came out good!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:26 AM   #5

i'm surprised this even worked. the focal plane distanceof the different makers are different. does the lens focus to infinity?? does it seem to focus at the nearest setting on the lens??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:45 AM   #6

Found the Rick oleson site on Google. The mount is a Yashica/Contax mount. The only thing Different about it is the extra flat blade sticking out far enough to ruin the insides of the Pentax (I cut it off) and the distance between the inside edge of the tri-flanges and the base of the lens...Abot 20 thousanths or so. The flanges I just thinned out and the base I removed just enough to make a tight fit. It seems to focus well to infinity Roy. The only thing I need to do to it now is find the ball for the ball detent that came up missing when my 5 year old Granddaughter decide to remove the Aperture adjustment ring. Works but it is really loose right now.

The Yashica Mount
Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:46 AM   #7

The Pentax mount.

Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:02 AM   #8

No. 3
Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:03 AM   #9