Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:15 PM   #11

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I can see Daniel's point.

Any chance of bargain hunting is lost when EVERYONE knows.

I got my last lens on eBay with my opening bid because the guy selling it advertised it wrong and it was not coming up in the usual eBay searches. Subsequently no-one else found it and bid.

I got a 12 month old $5000 lens for $1200.

FWIW

Crash
I see Daniels point as well now.Sorry Daniel...I'll try to do better and smarter next time. My sincere apologies.

A humble Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:32 PM   #12

Bad Dawg HAHAHAHA
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:00 PM   #13

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Bad Dawg HAHAHAHA
I do have my WOOPS moments! When I'm wrong I'm wrong! Making a mistake is not a problenm as I learn from each and every one.

Dawg
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:07 PM   #14

Almost had it for $65 until the last 15 sec when someone 100% over bid....

Not saying its isn't worth $110, but don't feel so bad about getting beat out for that big a difference vs someone that snips at last moment for $2

Actually just went back and looked because that had to more than 1 bidder and my last min bid...... sure enought it was two... the one that legitamately doubled it and then the one that did snipe him by $2 in that last 10 sec...... I hate that.... whish EBAY could/would outlaw it.

Almost makes you wish everthing was still dialup.... would make that much harder to so surgically do.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 2:56 AM   #15

Dont think our local on-line auction works that way. It anyone bids in the closing moments the auction extends for 2 minutes. Rather puts a stop to 'clever' bidding tricks.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:45 AM   #16

You know I do recall EBAY having implemented that but I wa sthere live and that did not happen.... at most it was one piece of snipping software beating out another.

I continually refreshed that last min or so.... there was no 2 min extension.... and really ought to be more like 5 or 10 min. Both changes was at 15 sec or less and by the time I refreashed again it was over... not that I would have rebid.... didn't want it that much.... $65 it would have been cool.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:01 AM   #17

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
You know I do recall EBAY having implemented that but I wa sthere live and that did not happen.... at most it was one piece of snipping software beating out another.

I continually refreshed that last min or so.... there was no 2 min extension.... and really ought to be more like 5 or 10 min. Both changes was at 15 sec or less and by the time I refreashed again it was over... not that I would have rebid.... didn't want it that much.... $65 it would have been cool.
I agree Hayward...Not worth that much. A really nice lens for 75 dollars or less. Not worth over 75 dollars to me.

Dawg
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:45 PM   #18

And just had it happen again.... In last 15 sec overbid $50 because it was definately worth it and active bidders, were doing $5-10 ups.....

Sure enough I didn't wait quite long enough (I was within 15 sec of end) and got sniped in that last few sec by someone who had never bid for $2, and again even a 120 WPM typist couldn't have done that.... it was a robot.

So that 2 min auto extension, in such situations is definately no longer active/functional policy.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 1:14 AM   #19

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
And just had it happen.... I last 15 sec overbid $50 because ita s definately worth it and active bidders, were doing $5-10 ups.....

Sure enough I didn't wait quite long enough and got sniped in that last few sec by someone who had never bid for $2, and again even a 120 WPM typist couldn't have done that.... it was a robot.

So that 2 min auto extension, in such situations is definately no long active/functional policy.
Sorry you missed out on it Hayward.

Dawg
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:19 AM   #20

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
got sniped in that last few sec by someone who had never bid for $2, and again even a 120 WPM typist couldn't have done that.... it was a robot.

So that 2 min auto extension, in such situations is definately no long active/functional policy.
Not necessarily a robot. I usually enter my only bid in the last couple of seconds and don't use software to do it. It's mostly a matter of synching your computer's clock with the auction's site's clock and testing the speed of your internet connection beforehand.

Sniping is a legit strategy to win auctions. You play the game by the rules you're given, and take advantage of those rules if you can.

By sniping, you don't give others time to react to your bid. If you lose, you didn't bid enough (or the winner bid too much depending on how you want to look at it). The "up to max bid" system evens things out for ebayers. Winning an auction comes down to who's willing to commit to the highest max bid defore closing time, and by sniping, the way I do it, my bid doesn't effect others decisions, and their bid doesn't effect mine. Maybe not the same as a traditional auction, but with a closing time, ebay auctions aren't set up the same anyway. I snipe with absolutely no guilt.

From what I've seen, early bids rarely win auctions, unless, like the one Crash mentioned, the auction was mis-labeled, and fell through the cracks. Early bids mostly just drive the final price up -- they can, of course smoke out reserves, so can be useful from that standpoint.

An extension to the auction close only benefits the seller, and with Pentax glass, the seller already has the significant advantage in most cases with all the competition for it driving the market up. In the great majority of categories, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference, but in very competitive caqtegories, it would cost buyers big time. I personally would not like to see this happen on ebay -- unless, of course, I'm the seller.:-)

my $.02. . .

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote