Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:54 AM   #1

This post went haywire so I reposted below.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:58 AM   #2

Dawg
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:08 AM   #3

Wow, that lens looks cleaner than my bathroom sink after a Sunday cleaning. Anyone know if that's a true macro 1:1?
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 10:56 AM   #4

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Wow, that lens looks cleaner than my bathroom sink after a Sunday cleaning. Anyone know if that's a true macro 1:1?
About 1:12 at 70mm and 1:4 or 1/4 life size at 210mm. These series one's were some of the very first tele-macro lens.But the do a nice job. Very good light gathering with the 67mm big end. They also have a constant aperture. They hold whatever aperture you set through out the zoom range. This particular lens is one of the most looked for around. The Kiron or Kino lenses are considered some of the best.

Dawg

Old Jul 5, 2007, 4:58 PM   #5

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
About 1:12 at 70mm and 1:4 or 1/4 life size at 210mm. These series one's were some of the very first tele-macro lens.But the do a nice job. Very good light gathering with the 67mm big end. They also have a constant aperture. They hold whatever aperture you set through out the zoom range. This particular lens is one of the most looked for around. The Kiron or Kino lenses are considered some of the best.
Dawg,

Definitely a great lens/deal. But should it be brought up after the auction?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:45 AM   #6

Still 2 days out and hasn't hit the roof yet....

Bet it starts to late tomorrow.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:21 AM   #7

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Dawg,

Definitely a great lens/deal. But should it be brought up after the auction?

Daniel
I was just giving notification that it was available...If it doesn't start to show some movement soon I'll have to put my two bits in and have three of them then.....Just thought my friends here might like a chance to get one. I have nothing in it and already have two myself so it's not like I'm trying to sell it. Just a possible bargain in the making for a pentax owner.

Dawg
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:53 AM   #8

I have one I still use with my Minolta SRT 102. Bought it back in '76 or '77. Big bucks for a lens in those days. Nice glass, but a tad heavy for a walkaround lens.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:22 AM   #9

I can see Daniel's point.

Any chance of bargain hunting is lost when EVERYONE knows.

I got my last lens on eBay with my opening bid because the guy selling it advertised it wrong and it was not coming up in the usual eBay searches. Subsequently no-one else found it and bid.

I got a 12 month old $5000 lens for $1200.

FWIW

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:12 AM   #10

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I can see Daniel's point.

Any chance of bargain hunting is lost when EVERYONE knows.

I got my last lens on eBay with my opening bid because the guy selling it advertised it wrong and it was not coming up in the usual eBay searches. Subsequently no-one else found it and bid.

I got a 12 month old $5000 lens for $1200.

FWIW

Crash
I agree -- I've won auctions in the past at 20-50% of the previous and subsequent auctions for much sought after lenses and other equipment because only a few people apparently were watching them.

Auction alerts, while an obvious nice gesture, usually end up only increasing the competition (and thus the bidding) on possible one-of-a-kind deals.

I wouldn't assume to try to set forum policy concerning this, but a mutually-agreed-upon informal convention of not posting auctions until they are over is, IMO a good idea.

Just about everyone has, at one time or another, commented on how crazy the competition is for used Pentax compatible glass. I think that we should consider not adding to the feeding frenzy.

My $.02

Scott

PS -- IMO, alerts for great deals or availability of new items from dealers are, on the other hand, an area where we might be able to help each other out here. In these cases, there's usually more than one item available, and it's just a matter of who acts quickly enough to take advantage of the situation. . . and the prices aren't usually going to be effected.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote