Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:37 AM   #1

My second and max bid turned out to be 9 CENTS over the previous high bid almost 2 hours out.

But that the nice thing about auctions that end at two in the morning.... and why I usually fail at ones that end before 10am or are in the early evening......

Guess that bidder made theirs and went to bed.

Not a fantastic deal... but $165.01 with free shipping (my max was $165.10) but pretty good. It is supposed to be new.... and the UPC is still there I'll apply for the rebate.... though likely rejected as it seems to be a private seller (though store looking post).... but hey it goes through it would be a fantastic deal at $115. Even at $165 though it is still well under what the typical price rebated would be.

So guess I'll have to put my Tamron 28-200mm LD up for sale after only two months of use.... liked it but it is rather bulky and heavy..... bag is getting a bit tiresome to carry. The Pentax is less than half the weight and same speed..... of course the Tamron is a FF lens though. Not likely I'll have one of those cams anytime soon though.

Not much use for the old Pentax 70-200mm FA PZ either I guess either. Time to put some stuff on Ebay I guess... a couple of old A 50's too.... Oh and Sigma 18-50mm DC... and.... yeah guess it getting to be time :roll:
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 1:32 AM   #2

And why I randomly pretty miuch pick these numbers out of a hat.... could have bee 13 cents or 21 cents or whatever... $+ .01 IS JUST SO OBVIOUS.... but many will go the ONE cent over their max bid.... pretty much MANY CONSISTANTLY choose that....

Obviosly this guy made his last bid and went to bed (AND MAYNE LIKE ME THAT WAS HIS HIG BID... BUT i GOT IT FOR 9 cents???... HE CULLDN'T HAVE PICHED SAY 34 CENTS AND WON?).... had I choosed 165.01 he would have stilL won by EBAY rules tie is first in... and again why I don't do that.... but as in this case just 9 CENTS made the difference.

AND WHY I OFTEN PICK ODDBAL NUMBERS FOR CENTS... some times all it takes....
Happend to be a round 10 this time but could be 13, 27, 33, 16, etc... .01 over MAX bid is just TOO OBVIOUS.

And again two hours out and that would have been my MAX bid.... I still won... just because he went to bed.... and made no margin.... maybe his sensible max too (would have been mine to but for the EASY 9 CENTS) :-) (Bettr they'd be swearing at himself... but Ebay doesn't tell you that only that you were out bid and I matched and exceeded theirs pllus they havetgo go sveral dolars more now vs 9 cents)

Ps In my bidding went from 155 t o 165.01.... again a likely thing and I just went to probably tooround number 165.10 and got it for the 165.01 for the 9 CENTS..... meeting the min bid vess being a cent uder and maybe a $5 min next bid... probably should have chosen something more oddball like 23 cents but in this case 9 cents WORKED.

I won the battle Gee maybe 34 might have been safer.... no matter how you look at it CENTS on the dollar.... but people still do the OBVIOUS ONE CENT over the DOLLAR.... but got their butt nailed for 9 cents..... so sorry to say. :shock:
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:08 PM   #3
TC3

Who cares?
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:49 PM   #4

Well I guess you do :blah:.... DAYS later. had almost scrolled off the top page. YOU brought it back to the top.

Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:38 AM   #5
TC3

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Well I guess you do :blah:.... DAYS later. had almost scrolled off the top page. YOU brought it back to the top.
:roll:
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 4:41 PM   #6

You got a good deal. It's a very nice lens and I always enjoy using it.

my tendency to shoot at dusk means I rarely get to have fun with it however.
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:48 PM   #7

Actually I find it does pretty well at sunset and post if there is after glow.
Especialy with the SR. (Though shooting incidental light probably wouldn't)

Its meterring qualities are a little weird.... only real irritation... its only really predicatable in matrix metering in sunset situations.... center weighted it seem to significanltly underexpose... even the bright center area. My only other DA lens (the kit) does not do that. (Nor any A, FA or third party same level lenses.)

Here is one first few shots with it.
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:12 AM   #8

And one from day 2
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:12 AM   #9

Both shots are at the extreme end of FL 50mm & 18mm respectively . The pict has shown these FL are their weak spot.

The 2nd one came from the kit lens at 18mm?

Interesting comparison?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:40 AM   #10

OOPS Yeah it must have been didn't remember I had switched them during that sunset... and didn't check EXIF.

As far as sharpness goes remember these are fuzzy/whispy clouds not harshly defined objects.

Sorry the second was the kit, but the boats and hotel are reasonably sharp.
Also 1/50 hand held and pretty much wide open, plus just quick and dirty Irfanview reduced to 640x480 to fit here.

Here maybe a better example. (with polarizer BTW) Not a real bright rainbow it helped a lot.
Attached Images