Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:43 AM   #1

Just wondering if the R/A mount mostly third party marketers I think.... are safe.

I have a Samyang 28mm 2.8 R/A lens and rather than the deadly/dreaded pin it has a ball (like the other K contacts) in the same odball possition as the plain R straght lens jamming pins.

But the Ball just rolls right over the AF drive port no problem.

So again any other R/A mount labeld lens owners out there that have other than a ball, or had problems?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:01 AM   #2

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Just wondering if the R/A mount mostly third party marketers I think.... are safe.

I have a Samyang 28mm 2.8 R/A lens and rather than the deadly/dreaded pin it has a ball (like the other K contacts) in the same odball possition as the plain R straght lens jamming pins.

But the Ball just rolls right over the AF drive port no problem.

So again any other R/A mount labeld lens owners out there that have other than a ball, or had problems?
Are you asking if anyone has had problems with Ricoh mount lenses?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Are you asking if anyone has had problems with Ricoh mount lenses?
No EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE.... have you NOT had a problem with an R/A labeled lens.....

Again where in my experience ball rolling off not straight pin DSLR lockimg implemented
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:41 AM   #4

Well partially answered my own questiion. Lens I picked up tonight on EBay... is another Richo comatible lens.... a 28-70 mm A Macro, listed as Phoenix/Samyang (like my R/A) but just labeled Auto (usually a term used for M42's with aperture control)

There was a mount shot, and the Ricoh terminal is definately a ball and not pin so should again be fine.

But if the maker info is accurate (can't tell from fotos) I still wonder if this is unique to Samyang or also any other R compatable lens makers (ball vs pin for the Richo specific contact)) Seems all Ricoh BRANDED (Ricohnon) lA lenses have the PIN.

Unlike my Samyang A 28mm prime, with just an A on the apeture ring, this one has the Ricoh used P with (A) in parenthesis. and labeled as KR vs R/A though that might be because of made for Phoenix vs pure branded Samyang.

Edit..... did a little further reaearh buy searching Ebay for just Ricoh lenses.

Seems only the Ricoh A lenses have this pin, the K/M lenses don't seem to (unfortunately few sellers photo the mount, which is important to see for an lens label Ricoh compatable). Wouldn't have bout that lens tonight if there hadn't been one clearly showing ball and not pin.

Then I was wondering if there were ever Ricoh AF lens.... and just then came across this beast.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ricoh-AF-50-2-Pe...QQcmdZViewItem

Hardly standard Pentax F or AF :-)

Not sure I have ever seen any other Ricoh specific AF's think maybe they got out at the end of the A era, and into simple 35mm and digital P&S..

And if anyone is wondering what I have been talking about, see that ball to the right of the normal KA contacts on a genuine Ricoh lens (and many compatables) the would be a very skinny straight pin, that is imfamouse for jamming in the AF port of the Pentax digitals.... the ball no problem just rolls right over it.
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:23 AM   #5

Your ebay beast, I believe was an early attempt at autofocus in the lens - Cannon and Nikon style - rather than the body.

I have seen these before, but they are very rare.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:52 PM   #6

But seems the ONLY attempt Ricoh ever made.... again I think they abandonded SLR's at least Pentax wise at the end of the A era K's but for this one odd experiment.

Don't think I have ever seen a Ricohnon AF/F/FA or any third party R designated lens beyond the A level. (And again the only ones that seem to have the evil pin, vs at leat Samyang KR, R/A the no problem ball.

Again if anyone knows of a R labeled lens that also has a ball rather than troublesome pin please pipe up.