Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:32 PM   #1

I recently acquired a Pentax FA 80-320 lens. It does not have a built in hood or a "snap in" connection for a hood like the DA lenses. I am guessing the hood has to be a screw in type that goes on the filter threads. Does anyone have a suggestion for the proper hood for this lens and a good place to buy it?

Thanks in advance.
lenkerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:07 PM   #2

Just got this same lens & was wondering about a hood as well..

Interested in any suggestions..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:55 PM   #3

Hi lenkerry and Bruce,

I have a rubber one for mine, but don't use the lens that often anymore, otherwise I'd have gotten a metal one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/58MM-TELEPHOTO-M...QQcmdZViewItem

It looks to be deep enough like I'd want for a tele zoom, and being made of metal, it'll protect the front element, it's really cheap for what it is, and the dealer has a very good feedback score,

. . . and yes, they apparently have two available. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:02 PM   #4

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi lenkerry and Bruce,

I have a rubber one for mine, but don't use the lens that often anymore, otherwise I'd have gotten a metal one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/58MM-TELEPHOTO-M...QQcmdZViewItem

It looks to be deep enough like I'd want for a tele zoom, and being made of metal, it'll protect the front element, it's really cheap for what it is, and the dealer has a very good feedback score,

. . . and yes, they apparently have two available. . .

Scott
Thanks

I ordered the last one..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:49 PM   #5

Thanks Scott. I ordered one. Not from the same seller, but a similar one. I wasn't sure how long the hood needed to be and whether the inside thread was going to be ok or block the view. I am guessing it will be fine. Thanks again.

Len
lenkerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:17 AM   #6

lenkerry wrote:
Quote:
I recently acquired a Pentax FA 80-320 lens. It does not have a built in hood or a "snap in" connection for a hood like the DA lenses. I am guessing the hood has to be a screw in type that goes on the filter threads. Does anyone have a suggestion for the proper hood for this lens and a good place to buy it?

Thanks in advance.
Oddly enough many/most of the Pentax lenses (but the DA's) don't.... you are pretty much limited to a filter thread mount hood, if you really want one. (some had sliding built in ones)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:41 AM   #7

Hoods are great tools that too few people value enough. They are great flare eliminators as well as providing lens protection.

Pentax originally recommended their screw-on hood: RH-A58 for that lens. Mine didn't come with one and I've used a generic one with no problems.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathglen View Post
Pentax originally recommended their screw-on hood: RH-A58 for that lens. Mine didn't come with one and I've used a generic one with no problems.
Hi to all,

the RH-A58 is an useless Hood for the FA 80-320. It is designed for an 28-80mm Lens.

I found a perfect fitting Hood. Originally designed for an old M42 "Asahi Takumar 300mm f6.3".

It's an old fashioned 58mm screw-on all-metal Hood. Very high quality and sometimes found used on eBay or in Photo-Stores.
I've paid 12,-Euro's for mine in Germany.

There's no shading over the whole range from 80mm up to 320mm on a Pentax K10d. And this Hood improves picture-quality very well.

I've tried 3rd-party rubber lens-hoods before and there was almost none effect above ~150mm where this lens needs a hood most!

The old Takumar-Hood is the first one which works without restrictions up to full 320mm.

Greetings from Germany

Lucius
Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote