Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:34 AM   #1

Hi All,

Yesterday, Carl Zeiss (Cosina) announced the release of the ZK line of Distagon T* manual focus K/A series lenses for those that might be interested.

Here's a link:

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256A770030BCE...9?OpenDocument

They will be pricey, but will offer some high-end alternatives to some ultra rare and very expensive Pentax lenses like the A*85/1.4.

I think that it's interesting (and smart) that they would decide to tap into this market.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:46 AM   #2

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Yesterday, Carl Zeiss (Cosina) announced the release of the ZK line of Distagon T* manual focus K/A series lenses for those that might be interested.

Here's a link:

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256A770030BCE...9?OpenDocument

They will be pricey, but will offer some high-end alternatives to some ultra rare and very expensive Pentax lenses like the A*85/1.4.

I think that it's interesting (and smart) that they would decide to tap into this market.

Scott
I too think it is very smart. Not everyone is as enamoured with total Auto as some folks would think. There are many opportunities to use an all manual high quality lens and I 've been wondering when the lens manufacturers would finally catch on to the trend.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:01 PM   #3

Prices are pretty high, but I sure would like a top quality replacement for the Phoenix (which is still pretty good for an inexpensive lens). No - my other half would totally revolt if I brought up that idea - he just wouldn't understand about getting a Zeiss lens...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:56 PM   #4

Still have (3) Carl Zeiss lenses in the Contax MM mount-all in pristine condition-too bad there isn't a PKA adapter made. 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.7, and 135mm 2.8. Quality is second to none!

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:16 AM   #5

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
Still have (3) Carl Zeiss lenses in the Contax MM mount-all in pristine condition-too bad there isn't a PKA adapter made. 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.7, and 135mm 2.8. Quality is second to none!

Have you tried finding an adapter for those? Or making one?

Dawg
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:41 AM   #6

I think this ses it up - from another forum.

Wigwam Jones, Aug 28, 2006; 11:48 a.m.

"If I am not mistaken, both the Contax/Yashica and the Pentax P/K mounts share a 45.5mm flange-to-film registration distance. This means that an adapter would have to be 0.0mm thick to convert the one to the other and still maintain infinity focus - or it would require a negative optic to counter-balance the thickness of the proprosed adapter.

So, I suspect that there is not such a beast. There *is* an adapter to mount C/Y lenses on Canon EOS cameras, because the lens flange-to-film distance for the Canon EOS is 44mm. Thus an adapter of 1.5mm thickness will maintain infinity focus without the need for additional corrective lenses inserted. There is also an adapter for C/Y to Olympus Four-Thirds, as the Olympus has a very thin lens registration distance compared to other dSLR cameras.

The Pentax is excellent at mounting every Pentax P/K lens ever made, as well as the older M42 screw mount lenses, even the medium format Pentax 645 and 67 lenses (all but the P/K require an adapter of course); but many (most?) older manual-focus film SLR cameras had a similar back-focus distance, which essentially makes it hard to make converters between brands.

M42 screw-mount lenses mount on just about everything because the adapter generally goes INSIDE the lens mount of the foreign camera, and thus CAN achieve an additional thickness of 0.0mm."

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 3:17 AM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Prices are pretty high, but I sure would like a top quality replacement for the Phoenix (which is still pretty good for an inexpensive lens). No - my other half would totally revolt if I brought up that idea - he just wouldn't understand about getting a Zeiss lens...
Hi Harriet,

This actually might help you get a Pentax or other high end 1:1 Macro.

The Zeiss 100 f2 Makro-Planar T*ZK is only $1858.00 USD at the projected introductory price (the "street price might be as low as $1700:shock -- makes a good argument to "settle" for the "cheap" D FA 100 f2.8 Macro for only $525 less $100 rebate. :-) -- and you can even "really just settle" for a minty used A 100 f2.8 Macro for even less, since you could make a "real sacrifice" and do without the AF. . .

Since I don't have to answer to a significant other about my LBA, this is the kind of reasoning I use to rationalize my LBA purchases to myself, and it works for me. . .:-) Looks like I have all kind of excuses to buy new "cheap" lenses now!

Hmmmm. . . The Sigma 17-70, DA*50-135, and I could throw in a DA 10-17 FE for the price of that one lens alone. . . That would cover all my conceivable wide angle needs and give me a great fast event zoom -- . . . Okay I'm convinced. . .

See how easy that was? --:lol:

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:47 PM   #8

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
I think this ses it up - from another forum.

Wigwam Jones, Aug 28, 2006; 11:48 a.m.

"If I am not mistaken, both the Contax/Yashica and the Pentax P/K mounts share a 45.5mm flange-to-film registration distance. This means that an adapter would have to be 0.0mm thick to convert the one to the other and still maintain infinity focus - or it would require a negative optic to counter-balance the thickness of the proprosed adapter.

So, I suspect that there is not such a beast. There *is* an adapter to mount C/Y lenses on Canon EOS cameras, because the lens flange-to-film distance for the Canon EOS is 44mm. Thus an adapter of 1.5mm thickness will maintain infinity focus without the need for additional corrective lenses inserted. There is also an adapter for C/Y to Olympus Four-Thirds, as the Olympus has a very thin lens registration distance compared to other dSLR cameras.

The Pentax is excellent at mounting every Pentax P/K lens ever made, as well as the older M42 screw mount lenses, even the medium format Pentax 645 and 67 lenses (all but the P/K require an adapter of course); but many (most?) older manual-focus film SLR cameras had a similar back-focus distance, which essentially makes it hard to make converters between brands.

M42 screw-mount lenses mount on just about everything because the adapter generally goes INSIDE the lens mount of the foreign camera, and thus CAN achieve an additional thickness of 0.0mm."

Darren
Which is why when I re-machined the Yashica /Contax lens I bought on Ebay it gives me an infinity focus. Thanks for that info Darren. How about the Minolta lenses. Do they have the same distance or would an adapter work better?

Dawg
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:28 AM   #9

Scott - you've got me convinced! I happened to mention that Zeiss was going to be making a lens for Pentax, and he said something about "oh, the legendary company?" I think he might actually consider it somewhere down the line, and if he would, then I'm half-way there - I, too, would like something wider than the kit lens, too (though I was thinking about the 12-24), and the D FA 100mm macro and still have money left over.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote