Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:41 PM   #1

but i doubt anyone here will be owing this lens. it started at $475 and i wrote and said ''you've got to be kidding''. she wrote back and said they had lowered the initial bid to 375. some folks just don't get it.

HERE
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:06 PM   #2

Roy

The whole used Pentax lens scene is reaching the ridiculous level..

What did a Takumar 300mm f4 telephoto lens sell for (maximum price?) back in the day??..

It was a whole lot less than $475.00, plus shipping, I'll tell you that!!..

I mean, how MINT canlenses that are25-50 years old be??..

What amazes me is just how good of condition older lenses like this one sometimes can be..

Still, even though lenses from that era were constructed to incredibly high standards, they are still very old, & probably need some CLA to go another 25-50 years..

Assuming photographers will want to use such relics 25-50 years from now!!..

I know that you and BigDawg have disassembled & put back together lenses similar to this one..

If you were going to put a dollar value on a lens CLA, what would that cost??..

I guess the point I'm trying to make is; What if the lens isn't in immaculate condition when the purchaser recieves it??..Then the person would be faced with trying to return the lens, or keeping it & trying to have it CLA'd (raising the price even further)..

I hope that the people who partwith outrageous sums for vintage Pentax glass are content with the dollars that they spend versus the condition & performance of the lenses that they purchase!!..

Ah well, Caveat Emptor..

Bruce

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:16 PM   #3

Hi Roy,

IMO, you're doing the forum a service by pointing out the outrageous prices some are asking, so I certainly have no problem with you linking this auction.

I think the seller's nick says it all -- "camera$" !!! Probably should change it to "camera$$$$" -- and if nothing else, the condition from the pics is nowhere near what I'd call a 9+. . . maybe good to very good (7-8) at best, and that's if the glass is perfect . . .

Pretty silly, and the other stuff they're offering is pretty outrageously priced also, IMO.
Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:36 PM   #4

bruce,
i couldn't put a price for a CLA by me as i haven't done one completely.here at the local shop it runs 50-95 $. the furthest i've got was with a M1.7 50mm that the ap ring would not engage the actual aperture to change it. it just turned around and around. there was a very small piece of linkage that had slipped. i found this out by dismantling a f2 50mm. i readjusted it and it works fine now. both are available at under 40usd shipped.

scott,
i've got a M42 300mm f4. i paid a premium for it. it was NOT as described. the only negative FB i've ever left. no contact from the dealer.. cosmetically it's about a 7-8. it's a well used lens. optically it's perfect and the glass is clean as i cleaned it. 125usd shipped. i've been having fun doing these as i'm what you would call very ''tool oriented''. that's why i put off getting a computer till late'99. i knew what it would do to me.

roy
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:27 PM   #5

Some have more money than brains and they will drive the price up for everyone. Someone once told me to find the street value of one new or as it was new 25-50 years ago..Then find the cost in todays dollars and never go above 75 percent of that value even in very mint condition. I try to stay around 50 percent or even lower as some of these will have to be cleaned to even be usable. 135 dollars for cleaning around here unless something else is wrong then it can skyrocket. Fungus is rampant on some of these old ones. Once that is into the coatings and glass it makes a good paper weight. If you pay to have one dissassembled and the Grease removed it can cost upwards of 200 dollars at some places....Might as well buy new Auto-focus ones then.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 1:13 AM   #6

If you want to see ridiculously over-priced, check this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pentax-Lense-...QQcmdZViewItem

Zero bids ensured I would think...
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:30 AM   #7

It must sell at that price, it even looks like a Pentax lens! Kidding, how do they believe anyone will be interested when they don't even tell what the FL is?

We get heaps of this kind of advertising in our local sites: "Nice camera, takes fine pictures, 500 SEK". Not even a picture to tell wether its a point and shoot or a SLR.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:23 AM   #8

David C wrote:
Quote:
If you want to see ridiculously over-priced, check this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pentax-Lense-...QQcmdZViewItem

Zero bids ensured I would think...
0 bids for sure. of course there's always the DA crowd.

roy
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:39 AM   #9

Hey be nice, I have one of those lenses in the same condition, takes excellent pics.

Maybe I should put it up on eBay too. :G
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:20 AM   #10

i've got one also. maybe we could combine them and get $1000 for the lot.

roy