Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:42 PM   #1

With all the Cannon, Oly, Nikon, Yashica, Minolta and other 35mm lenses out there with mounts that are just not going to let someone use them in the digital world...why doesn't someone start converting them for use on a Pentax camera. Gobs of them out there. I did it with a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 that had a Yashica Contax mount on it and it works as easy and as well as the Pentax mount series one I have. There are ways to calculate the distance needed for infinity focus with these....If only I were retired and had plenty of time this would be a good one to do. Might even just convert them all to screw mount and then with an adapter they will fit a lot of cameras. HMMMM.... Need to think this one out a little....Harbor freight mill and lathe...Aluminum or brass round stock...HMMMMM.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2007, 6:18 PM   #2

dude, this is a subject i've really thought about. have you ever browsed the other makers lens on ebay. there's alot of fine glass out there that doesn't sell or sells for peanuts. how's that peanut minolta coming??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:07 PM   #3

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:31 PM   #4

tjsnaps wrote: Thanks TJ....A friend on the easysharers forum gave me that early this morning.

Dawg
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:34 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
dude, this is a subject i've really thought about. have you ever browsed the other makers lens on ebay. there's alot of fine glass out there that doesn't sell or sells for peanuts. how's that peanut minolta coming??

roy
Roy the wife convinced me to try selling it first then convert it if it doesn't sell. I think she is getting tired of having 2 or 3 lenses torn apart on the dinning table. LOL Either that or she wants her precision screw drivers back....We actually had a tug of war over her eraser. LOL

Dawg

Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:38 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
Roy I'm starting to browse now....If you just converted the Yashica/Contax or Minolta lenses in the 70-210 range you could do well on Ebay I'm thinking. I've already done a Yashica and it was a snap. Still got to put the red dot in the correct place but it works like a dream with out losing infinity focus on the K10D.

Dawg
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:21 PM   #7

I did one, a Sigma 450mm prime (5.6 I think), it had been auto focus but that mechanism was pukaru. I got a Pentax flange on it eventually but the aperture control was beyond me. It works very well but off course only at full aperture.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:32 AM   #8

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
I did one, a Sigma 450mm prime (5.6 I think), it had been auto focus but that mechanism was pukaru. I got a Pentax flange on it eventually but the aperture control was beyond me. It works very well but off course only at full aperture.
Will it not step down manually?

Dawg
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:15 AM   #9

I can stop it down manually via a lever I added to the lens. Originally it had not external control visible until I found the sliding thing that covered the focus run. Aperture had no external control.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:23 AM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Roy the wife convinced me to try selling it first then convert it if it doesn't sell. I think she is getting tired of having 2 or 3 lenses torn apart on the dinning table. LOL Either that or she wants her precision screw drivers back....We actually had a tug of war over her eraser. LOL

Dawg
i get half the profits.. lol

i've got a small study with a 3'x5' drafting table in it. it's always flat like a table tho. i've also got 3 nice sets of screw drivers. hey, it's my room. well, except for the computer and the quarantine dog crate. it works. she has her sewing room as well.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote