Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:28 PM   #11

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Actually, with one of the ones I did, I was able to leave the aperture control levers (don't know the proper name) in and that way I was able to focus wide open then use the setup just like an M lens.
thta's how mine is nick
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:25 PM   #12

Ther's an even cheaper way.....
Get it off EBAY for about 15 bucks shipped...a set of 3 extension tubes....do a search and you will find it. I am considering this for the price...

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:36 PM   #13

fghouse2000 wrote:
Quote:
Ther's an even cheaper way.....
Get it off EBAY for about 15 bucks shipped...a set of 3 extension tubes....do a search and you will find it. I am considering this for the price...

Feroz
feroz,
problem with the cheap ones is that they are not linked to the aperture in the lens so you have to use them stopped down. for enough DOF you need a small aperture opening and the VF gets awful dim.

roy
Old Aug 10, 2007, 2:50 PM   #14

Looks kinda good. But I like the heavy duty build of these Tele lens.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:16 AM   #15

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Here is a cheap way to get an extension tube for those close ups and macros. First get an old Teleconverter for a SLR.
Another alternative, though much bulkier.... but much more flexible....

An inexpensive bellows.... got one off Ebay (yeah made in China with Chinese inst, more just spec sheet) new for about $35. extendend more than 1" or so absolutely requires a solid tripod and static subject.... but with the right lens amazing how far you can go. (actually well beyond 1:1)

Lens reversing rings (~$20) can do amazing things too with "normal" range lenses (35-80mm primes)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:26 AM   #16

robar wrote:
Quote:
feroz,
problem with the cheap ones is that they are not linked to the aperture in the lens so you have to use them stopped down. for enough DOF you need a small aperture opening and the VF gets awful dim.

roy
You generally aren't shooting action with macro and on a static tripod..... you focus wide open and then stop down.... not a real biggie.... thread isn't about state of the art... just how you can do it for peanuts.

You want that capability.... then you go out and buy a modern (pricey) macro lens/tubes.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:00 AM   #17

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
You generally aren't shooting action with macro and on a static tripod..... you focus wide open and then stop down.... not a real biggie.... thread isn't about state of the art... just how you can do it for peanuts.

You want that capability.... then you go out and buy a modern (pricey) macro lens/tubes.
actually, hayward, i'd like to see some images you've done with or with out what ever

this is shot with 63mmEXtubes and a 2x TC. it's about 3+/1

the set up is about 12'' long, 30cm long and you have to be careful about the weight of the setup when it's mounted. total cost of this rig , minus the lens cost was $25, i got lucky.

roy
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:03 AM   #18

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Here is a cheap way to get an extension tube for those close ups and macros. First get an old Teleconverter for a SLR. The 3X will give you a longer tube and thus closer photos. I bought this 3X Sears converter for 4 bucks on Ebay.

This gives you something with the Male and Female lens mounts built in. Then remove the lenses and bore out the remaining aluminum or brass till you have a straight through tube.

Then mount the tube to a lens and shoot away. It will allow for much closer photos than before. Here is what it looks like with an 80mm lens with no macro function and not using an extension tube.

This is what the photo will look like with an 80mm lens with a macro function and no tube mounted.

This is what it looks like with a lens with macro function and the extension tube mounted.

Now add a 2x teleconverter to the stack, which now consists of the Camera, The extension tube, The 2X teleconverter and the 80mm lens with macro function.

You can get even closer shots if you add some closeup lenses to this stack. Be sure to shoot at f/8 or higher as the DOF will be very thin and something only a fraction of an inch further from the focus point will blur. I have mine and will now start to shoot some closer macros than I've been able to so far. If you can't remove the lens of the Teleconverter you are making this with...Then break the lens with a hammer and a center punch or screw driver but be sure to cover it all with a rag as the glass could shatter and hit you. Another very good thing is a pair of goggles. Don't lose an eye doing this..BE SAFE FIRST... I like the Sears converter because the lens screws out so easy. Have fun now!!

DX6490 user!
K10D Pentax
DAWG,
a small tack hammer works well!!
just be sure you've gotten rid of the falloff before mounting it.

roy
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:20 AM   #19

oops,
when i stated the cost , i was wrong.. total cost is
lens--140usd
flash--230usd
off camera cords -- 50usd
grip -- 25usd
diffuser -12usd
bounce card 10usd

woof !! this does add up, when you add the total.. and i doubt that this price is attainable now

roy
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:23 AM   #20

bigdawg wrote:

D P !!