Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:44 AM   #1

Here is a cheap way to get an extension tube for those close ups and macros. First get an old Teleconverter for a SLR. The 3X will give you a longer tube and thus closer photos. I bought this 3X Sears converter for 4 bucks on Ebay.

This gives you something with the Male and Female lens mounts built in. Then remove the lenses and bore out the remaining aluminum or brass till you have a straight through tube.

Then mount the tube to a lens and shoot away. It will allow for much closer photos than before. Here is what it looks like with an 80mm lens with no macro function and not using an extension tube.

This is what the photo will look like with an 80mm lens with a macro function and no tube mounted.

This is what it looks like with a lens with macro function and the extension tube mounted.

Now add a 2x teleconverter to the stack, which now consists of the Camera, The extension tube, The 2X teleconverter and the 80mm lens with macro function.

You can get even closer shots if you add some closeup lenses to this stack. Be sure to shoot at f/8 or higher as the DOF will be very thin and something only a fraction of an inch further from the focus point will blur. I have mine and will now start to shoot some closer macros than I've been able to so far. If you can't remove the lens of the Teleconverter you are making this with...Then break the lens with a hammer and a center punch or screw driver but be sure to cover it all with a rag as the glass could shatter and hit you. Another very good thing is a pair of goggles. Don't lose an eye doing this..BE SAFE FIRST... I like the Sears converter because the lens screws out so easy. Have fun now!!

DX6490 user!
K10D Pentax
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:33 AM   #2

Excellent series Dawg.

I have heard about it, and can imagine it, but to actually see it and the results is far better.

Thanks for this series.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:34 PM   #3

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Excellent series Dawg.

I have heard about it, and can imagine it, but to actually see it and the results is far better.

Thanks for this series.

Dal
You are very welcome Dal. I'd heard how well this works but me being me I had to try it for myself. I plan on doing this on at least one more 3X tele converter and then on a 2X one.

PS... The photos are all uncropped and so sharp you can crop way down for even closer photos.

Dawg
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:01 PM   #4

Great info, Dawg. What did you use to bore out the piece? The final results are to die for..
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 5:17 PM   #5

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Great info, Dawg. What did you use to bore out the piece? The final results are to die for..
A boring bar and a small lathe. You can get close results with a small grinding wheel mounted to a drill motor or die grinder. I just made one from a Focal brand 2X teleconverter aand all I had to do to it was remove 6 screws to get the lens out and then replace the male mount with three of them.

Dawg
Old Aug 1, 2007, 5:29 PM   #6

Actually, with one of the ones I did, I was able to leave the aperture control levers (don't know the proper name) in and that way I was able to focus wide open then use the setup just like an M lens.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:21 PM   #7

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Actually, with one of the ones I did, I was able to leave the aperture control levers (don't know the proper name) in and that way I was able to focus wide open then use the setup just like an M lens.
I use manual and stop the Aperture down manually any way. Works pretty good for me so far Inn. I could have done that with either of these but that will cause some vignetting especially when stacked. My way is just different not in any way better.

Dawg

Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:48 PM   #8

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
i've got a set of 63mm EX tubes if anyone is interested. they're lever coupled.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:07 PM   #9

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
nick , that's what i did with the old albinar. i think it was a couple of years ago when i posted it.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:56 AM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Here is a cheap way to get an extension tube for those close ups and macros.
Another thing (if you don't mind completely manual focus and exposure is a lens reversal ring.

I guess with the 10D at least a tube might give you limited AE... but so does lens reversal.

They are mostly 52mm (the kit lens size)... and many other P lenses are 49mm.... maybe the best thing about a cheapo1.4 (but decent) WA front adapter I got... it came with 4 step rings..... allows me to put a 52 mm polarizer on a 49mm P lens like the FA 1.4 50mm, and others.... and use the typical 52mm lens reversal adapter on all of them too.

NOTE.... steping UP is never a problem... stepping down QUICKLY is. (Vignetting, etc) Except for a zoom lens at long zoom... quickly bad at wide.

If a subject you can be right on top of... a Pentax A 1.4 (49mm ring) 50mm is an awesome thing... a word I have NEVER used before it went out of style.... because I really mean AWESOME... not just typical everything above normal.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote