Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:15 AM   #21

Do you need my adress to send it to me??? Hmm???

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 1:51 AM   #22

Hi Harriet,

Looks good! . . . OK -- now to find one. . . I knew this would happen.

I certainly don't see any glaring faults, but more use will tell --

How do you find the AF - MF switch on the lens barrel? -- it looks to be in the right place -- certainly not a easy as the Quick Shift, but it looks like it would be a no-brainer to use once you get used to it. Please test it on both the K100 and the K10 to see if it operates the same on both bodies. Being an SDM lens, it might behave differently on a non SDM capable body.

Thanks, and congrats on what looks to be a very nice addition to your kit.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:45 AM   #23

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
of it) were taken at f2.8.

Here's a few pictures of the lens, taken with the K10 and an M 24mm 2.8 lens (talk about going from old to new!).
Harriet,

Congratulation. As of around the time you posted it last night (EST), you were the first (incl those of drepview) user's report of the coveted lens.

Pentax * zooms have been almost non-existant until now. It would be a very very pleasant surprise if its optics could prevail over the individual small tiny primes like F50mm1.7, FA100mm and FA135mm. But with its convenience of zooming action, weatherproofness and SSM, it should be huge if there is no or very little glitches.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:23 AM   #24

Might be a dumb question, but why have we all the sudden gone to a switch on the side of the lens for AF/MF... I saw that and was like WTF?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:19 AM   #25

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Might be a dumb question, but why have we all the sudden gone to a switch on the side of the lens for AF/MF... I saw that and was like WTF?

Snap!

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:04 PM   #26

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
The reason is likely the SDM motor in the lens. With previous DA lenses, it was just a matter of having a focusing helicoid that was not coupled to the drive shaft, with SDM, you'd have to also decouple the motor in the lens. That's why I asked about any difference in the AF to MF procedures between the K10 and K100.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 3:12 PM   #27

Harriet! Now it's time for some frank talk! I have some of the best Pentax lenses there are, and here you come and give me lens envy! Grrrr....

Congratulations, to the lens and to your choice of hubby.:-)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:10 PM   #28

oh H,
what can i say... you know silence is golden

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:18 PM   #29

robar wrote:
Quote:
oh H,
what can i say... you know silence is golden

roy
Even now after almost a day, not even one post in dpreview has anyone been mentioning delivery of the lens. Not to mention testing at all.
That excluded a fellow from UK and Ned as well.
So Harriet is the first on the N Am side then?
She knows somebody to get an earlier copy?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:20 PM   #30

I used it at lunch on both the K10 and the K100, using the DA 50-200 as the other lens (didn't have enough time to pull out the Phoenix). I didn't take a stop watch to them for focusing speeds (I'll leave that to others) and I didn't have as much time as I'd like to really wander around and just shoot pictures. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't focus faster per se, but on the K10 it definitely doesn't hunt as much as the DA 50-200 does sometimes. There's often a little hesitation with that lens when there'sa somewhat low-contrast subject as the camera tries to lock in the focus - that's missing with the SDM.

It seemed not all that much different on the K100 as far as the AF. It's amazing how quickly you can get used to the minimal sound/smooth feelwith the SDM, I couldn't wait to put it back on the K10. I'll look at the pictures tonight - it's frustrating that LR no longer identifies the lens with the K10 because I prefer it to Pentax's software, and since I kept the focal lengths between 50 and 135, I won't automatically know which lens took which picture (unless the f stop was 2. 8 . And now the built-in card reader on my computer doesn't work - looks like another trip to Best Buy for warranty work...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote