Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:36 AM   #11

robar wrote:
Quote:
good and cheap does not compute

you get what you pay for, usually

roy
Absolutely, but you can ALSO EASILY spend FAR MORE than what you get relatively too. Nor is spending the most $$$ you possibly can necessary a guaratee you get the best results you possibly can, in a given situation.

Frankly for its use and $120 used cost (Even like $280 new) I am quite happy with the results from my Phoenix 100-400mm AF as far as resulting image qualiity. And that is often post sunset waining light though still shooting at the sunset.

It it as good as 5-10X more $ lens.... well of course not.... but then again its not 5-10X less IQ either.... only in very extreme and low light situation (as that expensive a lens likely faster too... but still maybe only a stop or stop and half.

It gets down to do you want that the or best or near thing ever made (darn the cost) or something quite acceptable for normal use? For a half or less the cost.

And maybe an extreme example but honestly the Phx 100-400mm AF more often surprises me than disappoints especially attached to as capable a camera as the K10D with it SR and MTF exposure that tries for the best for a lens can likely do.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:36 AM   #12

Thanks again everyone.

I have ordered the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro lens, and will give that a play with before TC'ing it. I have retired my 70-210 manual lens as it's just too soft no matter what f# it's great on my 35mm K1000 but terrible on my K10D above 100mm.

Hopefully this will be sharp enough to just get away with some cropping and I won't need the extra reach for a while. I don't want to put any big money down on some lenses yet as I am still starting out.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 5:29 AM   #13

That is certainly one of the better (and much used here) compromises out there... I have been happy with them on both my old orig C Rebel and now the K10D.

That now noticed softness might be part of the crop factor "pre blow up" (just using part of a full frame lens image) you didn't notice on the K1000 until you cropped, blew up more than 30%

Not familiar with that old Sigma 70-210 manual lens, but it is one I will make a mental note to stay away from now... likely would't as I have an rather nice Pentax F PZ in that exact range, and I will probably selling it as it overlaps with several others so much I have now. Of two I have had the Pentax F 70-2(00-10)'s were very nice. (and they like the Sigma 70-300mm were ful lframe too)

PS And oh before I got the 100-400mm, I used a Tamron 1.4x TC with the S 70-300mm with very good results , other than very low shutter, as the TC does not report the the F mag to the SR... so it would still be compensating for 300mm say.

With the 400mm, I have 50mm less reach but in low light the SR does much better as it actually see's it as a 400mm and comps for such.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 5:44 AM   #14

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I would echo what Roy said above. Pentax is quite weak when it comes to telelens
Or rather,the long range tele lensesPentax have made are absolutely top class, but they haven't made that many different and they are hard to come by - non in production right now. This also mirrors in the price when one actually turns up on ebay.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:15 AM   #15

It's sharp as a tack on my K1000, so yes, I suspect it is a result of the crop factor. Through the viewfinder it's fine, but reviewing the photo's later is a dissapointment. Doesn't matter now, if I can find a nice 18-70 lens as cheap as the 70-300 I will have two AF lenses that cover a good range, and my 28mm f2.2 and 50mm f2 manual Pentax lenses for special shots.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:38 AM   #16

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I would echo what Roy said above. Pentax is quite weak when it comes to telelens
Or rather,¬*the long range tele lenses¬*Pentax have made are absolutely top class, but they haven't made that many different and they are hard to come by - non in production right now. This also mirrors in the price when one actually turns up on ebay.

Kjell
I meant 'weak' in terms of supply situation. Sure there is no lack of great Pentax telelens - but none of them is in production. We have to wait for the DA*300mm not to mention the longer ones.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote