Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:10 PM   #1

I have a panasonic fz-30 currently, and I am looking to upgrade to a dslr in the near future. The main gripes I have with the FZ-30 are AF speed, too little DOF control, and Noise (in approximately that order.) With the new DSLR I wish to work on Portraits and also BIFs and action shots. I'm pretty addicted to pana's great telephoto capabilities, so that is a relatively important criterion for me.
Originally I was going to go with Canon's XTi with either canon's 70-300 IS usm, or the 70-200 f4 L. However, it's pricier than the pentax's dslr's and has less features such as in body SR and weather seals.
The pentax K10D and K100D look very good (well built, logical, SR etc.), and I was planning on getting the Samsung version of the K10D. However, I can't seem to find a telephoto(300mm+) lens in pentax mount. None of the third party lenses seem to have USM or AF-S, and they tend to be really expensive. So are there any lens' available for Pentax mount that can match canon's 70-200 or 70-300 IS for sharpness and AF speed for less than about 600 or so USD? Also, do you think the K10D is worth the extra money over the K100D. I'm worried that the lack of compatability with SDM lens' would make the K100D obsolete very soon.
Thanks for reading my long rant. I'm planning on getting just the DSLR body with a kit or prime, and saving for a good telephoto to be bought later.
PS: Which pentax or third party lens if not the kitty would you recommend for general/portrait use?
kankushok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:40 PM   #2

get the k100d Super. it's got all the k10 features(almost) for a lot less $$.
if you want a 300mm that's VG wide open i have an old super takumar with great glass. $100 bucks delivered. of course it'll have to be used in stopped down mode using a M42 adapter and it's a manual focus lens. i guarantee it's sharperness.
oh ya-- it's also 30 years old. let's see, only 24,000,000 more to try.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:09 PM   #3

Actually I was hoping for an AF lens. Kinda a shame to pay all that money for a fast camera, if you're slowed down because you have to MF. I don't think I'll be skilled enough to try focusing on any fast moving objects. Thanks for the reply though. What's the max aperture of the lens you were referring to? It might come in useful for low light static objects if I decide to go pentax.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:11 PM   #4

problem you have with an AF lens is the number of shots you loose due to the AF.

lens is f4-22

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:19 PM   #5

Pentax is behind the curve on HSM, they are just now releasing the first ones. Lens availability is not as broad with Pentax either but that seems to be changing with the popularity of the K series cameras. On the other hand, the in body antishake system means that every lens you buy is image stabilized.

The Sigma 70-300 APO has a good reputation and the price is pretty reasonable. It is not HSM but it is autofocus. Sigma has a 70-200mm f/2.8 available in the Pentax mount. For portrait work, I would recommend the 50mm f/1.4, which should give you excellent results for the price. The kit lens offers very good quality and is well worth the small increase in price over buying the body only and the Pentax 50-200mm is also a very good inexpensive lens.

If you think you would have a use for the auto and scene modes you have on your Panasonic go with the K100 or K100 super.

All of these were taken with the K100 and the kit lens:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:38 PM   #6

I like to take pictures at the zoo and at the local pond. Examples of what I do can be found at my flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/kankushok/. I use mostly program and Av mode on my FZ-30. Considering this does it warrant the 90 dollar difference between the K100D Super (599USD) and the Samsung GX-10(690 USD) Is Pentax's screwmount AF as fast and accurate as Canon or Nikon's AF? One of the things I want to be able to do with a dslr is to take better BIF shots than those I can get with the panasonic (http://flickr.com/photos/kankushok/page5/). I can't find a pentax mount sigma 70-200 f2.8 anywhere. It's not on sigma's website either. How does the sigma 70-300 compare with canon's 70-300 IS? Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:23 AM   #7

To be brutally honest, if you want the latest and fastest lens for your camera, then leave Pentax well alone. They are very like the Leica cameras in that nothing is brought out for them for a long time, and Cannon and Nikon have huge reserves of cash to chuck about and have the market sewn up.

Pentax tends to appeal to a special type of person, who wants to be individual and use the camera as a tool to get the best shot they can.

Cannon and Nikon are used by a whole raft of pros who have their work published in mags and books and so the public have bought in to the "if he uses it then so should I" scenario.

That said, the accessories available for the Cannon and Nikon are mouth-watering....If you have very deep pockets.

Basically, if you are going from a compact or bridge camera to a dSLR, then whichever you pick (after holding it and playing with it in the shop first!!!) will be the right one, as they are all very similar these days.

Check out a few pages of this formum and the main Pentax forum to see how many posts there are and how friendly everyone is, and to see some sample pictures of what can be achieved with Pentax cameras. BiF are easy if you know how and have the talent and patience. As are macros and all the rest. It is not the camera.

Rant largely over for now.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:10 PM   #8

I know I'm an old Foggey but I still love the manual focus lensd of the late 60's and early 70's. They are inexpensive and so well built that they will be taking photos long after we are all gone. No motors to wear out or short out and after so many years shooting a K1000 the focus is almost as quick as an Auto focus lens. Just cheaper more dependable and satisfying. Oh and did I mention the Anti-Shake works with them as well as new lens???? Not so on a Nikon or Canon!

Dawg

My rant is over...LOL

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:16 PM   #9

Currently using a DS with the following lenses DA40 2.8, 50-200, and just recently got the 16-45 (to get in under the rebate). Just got a quote on the K10D and was surprised-$715.00 less the $50.00 rebate. Either Pentax has a whole bunch of K10's or something new is on the horizon-or maybe they think the 100 Super will kill the K10D sales. The DA40 is head and shoulders above the other two lenses-so far the 16-45 has been an expensive disappointment. I have been a Pentaxian since 1980, so I think I have been a loyal customer-main problem is sharpness & some reviews claim the K10D is bad in this area.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:11 PM   #10

How's the Tokina ATX 400mm F5.6 or the Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO. The examples taken with the tokina and a K10D on pbase look really good. However, haven't been able to find the the Tokina in pentax mount anywhere.