Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:55 AM   #1

No question is dumb right? Ok, so here I go.

I'm thinking about the K10D with the 18-55 kit lens and the 50-200. Comparing the zoom capabilities to that of a P&S, what can I expect with those 2 lenses? I'm currently using a 3x optical zoom with my P&S and wondered if these lenses would give me a bit more zoom?
amy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:27 AM   #2

I had trouble getting my head around this change as well.

Excuse me if I am wrong, or teaching you to oops eggs.

With P&S camera's they use a X number as it's easier for people to understand and can make a camera seem better than a rivals.

The X number depends on what the start and end length of the lens setup is. For example:

Start: 20mm

End: 100mm

Could be read as a "5x zoom" because the end is 5x bigger than the start, but you could also have:

Start: 100mm

End: 500mm

Which could also be read as "5x zoom", but the last one will be "zoomed in" a lot further.

When using "proper" camera measurements, you need to think in mm, a 28mm lens would be great for landscapes as it is "zoomed out" a lot, and a 300mm lens would be great for shooting wildlife as it's "zoomed in" a lot. Once you start using them when thinking in mm it's easy to see what lens would be good for what, and get an idea of the sort of reach you will get.

The 18-55 kit lens is good for landscapes and portraits, but not good for anything where you need to zoom in, as it doesn't have enough reach.

The actual mm of the P&S camera should be in the manual or on the box if you want something to properly compare it to with SLR lenses.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:39 AM   #3

Amy,

The "zoom" factor for the following lenses are:

18 - 55 is 3.05x or 55/18 = 3.05
50 - 200 is 4x or 200/50=4

Across the two set lens is

18 - 200 is 11.1x or 200/18=11.1
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:09 AM   #4

i'd throw something in here but it would just really mix you up.
not knowing your P&S i'll go out on a limb and say that with the 200mm lens when you are looking thru it , objects will be 3-4 times bigger than with your P&S at it's max magnification.

roy
is that novice enough for you??
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:44 AM   #5

Thank you all for such quick replies. I do appreciate the easy to understand terminology. I'm not new to the slr, but it's just been such a LONG LONG time. I know that once I get back to it, it will come back. I'm just having a hard time deciding which lenses as I don't want to have a lot of different ones right off the bat. Maybe 2... then I can build from there depending on my needs.

I have the Kodak c340 P&S. It's a 5MP, 3x optical zoom. It doesn't have enough reach for me.

Thank you all again... I really do appreciate it.
amy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Super Moderator

OK here is a very quick comparison of what you have and what you will end up with if you get what is detailed at the top of the thread.

Kodak c340 34-102mm 35mm equivalent (I think as I could only find a c360 review)

18-55mm kit lens on the K10D gives 27-82mm in 35mm equiv

50-200mm lens on the K10D gives 75-300mm in 35mm equiv

Basically you will get wider with the kit lens than you already have and 3x longer than you have with the 50-200mm.

How did I get to the 35mm equivalent results, easy, the K10D has a 'crop' factor of 1.5x as its sensor is 1.5x smaller than a 35mm negative so you take the real focal length of the lens and multiply by 1.5.... easy
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:53 PM   #7

mark,
you're throwing too much info at her. give her a chance to digest.
amy, with the kit lens and the 50-200 you have a lot of bases covered. i'd suggest this setup. after about 6 months you will know what you shoot the most and also some of that old info will come back to you. after 6 months you'll probably want to get some prime lenses instead of the zooms. don't be hesitant to post and ask questions in the other forum.
i can assure you that there are a number of people posting over there at a caliber better than what they ever thought possiblejust a year ago.

oh, there's a saying around here.. it goes that the only dumb/stupid question is the one you don't ask.

roy
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:35 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Oops possibly did get a little mathematical..... was just rushing out and thought it might help.... we will see.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:14 PM   #9

mark,
it's so easy to do.. remember your first digital?? even with a good back ground of knowledge i'll bet it blew you away at first.

roy
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:17 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Tell me about it I used to be in sales of digicams but was fortunate that have been using SLR's for almost as long as I can remember so was not quite as bad. Biggest problem was working out how each manufacturer was doing things. I do sometimes forget what it is like and fortunately soon will Amy with the help of everyone here to sort everything out.